Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Asa Jackson Suspended 8 games for violating PED Policy

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    What the fuck was that explanation?
    He said he was legitimately taking Adderall for ADHD, that it's allowed under certain circumstances, and that he followed the protocol, turned in his paper work to the Ravens team doctor, and that the Ravens team doctor quit and never turned in his paperwork and that's why he got the suspension.

Blog Entries

ring ring.. hello Asa, this is Pete Carroll... how'd you like to be a Seahawk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Baltimore Ravens defensive back Asa Jackson says he now has NFL approval to use the medication that caused his second violation of the NFL's policy on performance-enhancing drugs.The NFL announced on Friday that Jackson, a second-year pro who played sparingly as a rookie, has been suspended for the first eight games of the season. He'll be eligible to return to the roster on Nov. 4."I was diagnosed with a condition that can be treated with a medication allowed under the NFL/NFLPA Policy after a player obtains a therapeutic use exemption," Jackson said in a statement issued by his agent early this morning.
    http://www.delawareonline.com/articl...-PED-violation

He didn't follow the policy, but he may have followed the spirit of the rule. Tough life lesson.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensRule21215 View Post
    He said he was legitimately taking Adderall for ADHD, that it's allowed under certain circumstances, and that he followed the protocol, turned in his paper work to the Ravens team doctor, and that the Ravens team doctor quit and never turned in his paperwork and that's why he got the suspension.
    For argument's sake, let's suppose that this story is accurate.

If Jackson has evidence that
    1. He was diagnosed as having ADD by a physician licensed to practice in (whatever state he was practicing in);
    2. He gave the NFL paperwork to the diagnosing MD;
    3. The MD filled out the paperwork and returned it to him;
    4. He then appropriately submitted the paperwork to the Ravens for submission to the NFL;
    5. All the above was done before he was (re)tested for PEDs;
    6. The team doctor was the official charged with the responsibility for submitting the paperwork to the NFL;
    7. The team doctor resigned after receiving the paperwork but without submitting it to the NFL; and
    8. Jackson himself was unaware that there had been any holdup in the submission of the paperwork at the time of his retest
    --then I'd say he probably has grounds for a civil action against the doctor and the team: he's losing half a season of salary for something that wasn't his fault.

My uninformed guess is that Jackson will stay on the roster (& possibly be compensated in other wasy as well) in exchange for not pursuing that option.

IMO he should never have started back on Adderall until the paperwork had been approved by the league--but when a doctor says you need this to treat your condition, it's hard to wait.

FTR I took Adderall (a combination of various methamphetamines) for ADD over a number of years. In the doses I took it wasn't going to "hop up" anyone's performance (though I stopped taking it when it started to mess up my sleep cycle). What it does is to (paradoxically) slow down the thought processes of an ADD sufferer to the point where the mind can focus on the task at hand rather than going off in a brazillion directions at once.

Can it be abused? Sure. But it's an acknowledged treatement for a legitimate medical condition--one that for a professional football player can be pretty debilitating.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

1. He was diagnosed as having ADD by a physician licensed to practice in (whatever state he was practicing in);
    4. He then appropriately submitted the paperwork to the Ravens for submission to the NFL;
    6. The team doctor was the official charged with the responsibility for submitting the paperwork to the NFL;
    7. The team doctor resigned after receiving the paperwork but without submitting it to the NFL; and
    8. Jackson himself was unaware that there had been any holdup in the submission of the paperwork at the time of his retest
    --then I'd say he probably has grounds for a civil action against the doctor and the team: he's losing half a season of salary for something that wasn't his fault.

My uninformed guess is that Jackson will stay on the roster (& possibly be compensated in other wasy as well) in exchange for not pursuing that option.

IMO he should never have started back on Adderall until the paperwork had been approved by the league--but when a doctor says you need this to treat your condition, it's hard to wait.

FTR I took Adderall (a combination of various methamphetamines) for ADD over a number of years. In the doses I took it wasn't going to "hop up" anyone's performance (though I stopped taking it when it started to mess up my sleep cycle). What it does is to (paradoxically) slow down the thought processes of an ADD sufferer to the point where the mind can focus on the task at hand rather than going off in a brazillion directions at once.

Can it be abused? Sure. But it's an acknowledged treatement for a legitimate medical condition--one that for a professional football player can be pretty debilitating.
    Well written L. I had three concussions over a 45 day span and after the last, even after 8 hours of sleep, well rested, I would lose focus, start nodding off, never out, but I could feel it. Adderall for at least 3 weeks, got me back, focused, and able to function. Downside was sleep, I wasn't resting proper. I did eat regularly, but my appetite was suppressed even when I was working out a lot. The stuff is no joke. I couldn't hack trying to dose down, I got fed up and said fuck it and quit.

$426,000 a year. That is what Asa made last year, I have a hard time thinking that this was a procedural screw up when you have already been nailed once for it. Be responsible or lose the opportunity of a life time. Hell, I'd be in Ozzie Newsome's office if I had been busted once and a doctor gave me a prescription for Adderall after. That is what these men are paid to do, look after the best interests of the team.

I really have little sympathy for someone who has not only a salary, but more support than ANYONE employed in the US practically. Shit, if these guys get hammered at a bar, they can call the NFL and they will pick them up!

Sorry, ADD or not, Asa went to college for four years, act like it.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post

Who knows what really happened, but if it happened the way he said, it sure makes for an interesting predicament.

I skimmed through the policy and the way I read it there is some levity if he decides to appeal(within 5 days).

Being that it's a union any appeal would set a precedent and any similar future violations would have the same result, unless there is an agreement with the union that would take away that right.

http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaRe...g%20Policy.pdf

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    The stuff is no joke. I couldn't hack trying to dose down, I got fed up and said fuck it and quit.
    Here's another vote for "fuck it." I was splitting 5 mg doses in half & even then, if I took it later than about 10 AM I tossed & turned all night. Some folks are just hypersensitive to the stuff.
    I have a hard time thinking that this was a procedural screw up when you have already been nailed once for it.
    Well yeah, but shit happens. Last week I showed up for a doctor's appointment on time but had forgotten to lock the car doors, so I told the admin staff I'd be right back, & 5 minutes later I was. After which I sat & sat & sat & about a half hour later they checked me in. I just figured my GP was running late.Then I sat for another half hour until a nurse came out & said I couldn't be seen that day because I'd checked in more than 30 minutes late. I explained what had happened but was told it simply did not matter whose fault it was, I was late & they wouldn't see me. (They did get me another appointment for the next day, no problem since I'm out of work, but if they had tried to charge me for the "late" appointment I'd've sued the bastards till their eyes popped.) Point was, I quite reasonably trusted the admin staff to know what they were doing, they fucked up, & I was the one who suffered for it.

Be responsible or lose the opportunity of a life time. Hell, I'd be in Ozzie Newsome's office if I had been busted once and a doctor gave me a prescription for Adderall after. That is what these men are paid to do, look after the best interests of the team.

I really have little sympathy for someone who has not only a salary, but more support than ANYONE employed in the US practically. Shit, if these guys get hammered at a bar, they can call the NFL and they will pick them up!

Sorry, ADD or not, Asa went to college for four years, act like it.
    Let me tell you another, longer story, Cap'n, & maybe you'll understand why (if his story holds water) I feel for Asa Jackson:

It was my first semester of graduate school, working toward a PhD in astronomy, & I was getting one of the required courses out of the way, the Graduate Physics Lab. You'd sign up for the various labs, which were shared with the senior-level undergrad lab course; each had a point values based on difficulty & standard time to complete. The only difference was that for the grad course you needed to accumulate more points (i.e., do more &/or harder experiments). There was also a rule that no experiment could be started within 2 weeks of finals.

It was a cool facility & the profs & assistants made the rounds regularly to ask us the odd questions & occasionally help out (I still recall how the head prof blistered paint off the walls as he & I struggled to replace a 9V battery on a meter). Every week the staff posted, on a big bulletin board right outside the lab entrance, a list of all the students with where they thought we were (e.g., "just started O-8") & whether we were ahead of, on, or behind schedule for meeting the course requirements. If they'd gotten anything wrong we were supposed to let them know ASAP.

Naturally I checked my status each week when I showed up for lab. Each week they had my current status listed correctly; each week the note continued, "On schedule."

The head prof dropped in again the week before finals, asked a few questions about my current experiment (IR rotational spectrum of CO2--funny how you remember these details >40 years later) & then said, "Well, you're right on track to get an excellent grade in Senior Lab."

I nearly fainted. "But I'm registered for the graduate lab!"

He stared at me. "Well, in that case you're way behind."

I said, "Let me start another experiment to catch up."

"You can't. No one can start an experiment within two weeks of finals. Those are the rules." His rules.

"Then let me take an incomplete & finish the work after Christmas." Not allowed. "Then change my registration to the Senior Lab, for godsake!" Nope.

Theoretically I could have added up all the point values & realized that there was something wrong with their assessment of my status. Considering all the other scheduling & advisory screwups I was fighting my way through at the time (no one ever believes me when I go down the list of disasters) I was lucky to have my head above water before this.

I'd trusted the lab staff to know what they were doing. They'd fucked up, but they gave me no alternatives & no consideration. What they gave me was a C--tantamount to failing for a grad student. And next semester when the department lost an argument with a funding source & had to relinquish several assistantships, all they needed to see was that C.

What I should have done was immediately make as big a stink as possible to every- & anyone & demand that they allow me to finish the course properly. They might've just thrown me out as a PITA but it wouldn't have been any worse than being invited to come back without financial aid--my dad was tapped out, my own life savings would have lasted about a year, & loans were a crapshoot when the job market for hard-science PhD's was abysmal. And in any case, it was finals week, & I needed all my energy & attention to pass them...

I'd had my heart set on being an astronomer since I was 7, & I was almost there--except for that one little old C from trusting that my instructors knew what course I was enrolled in. And I never found my way back...

Over to you, Cap'n.

9. Re: Asa Jackson Suspended 8 games for violating PED Policy

Quote Originally Posted by downside52 View Post
    Interesting to hear that "our team dr quit"...is Dr Curl not coming back next year?

Team doctor is a fairly important position, albeit off the field.
    That part is true. Dr. Leigh Ann is no longer listed on staff by BR.com. Not sure when that happened, I tried looking her up when Pitta went down. She was awesome, gonna miss her presence on the sidelines. Couldn't find any info on her leaving, and no replacement's been named yet.

The one reason I am not buying into a lot of this is that this guy got a suspension last year. So he was guilty of something without this type of explanation. So fast forward to this year and he is suspended for turning in paperwork (which we do not know if it was timely), and then getting bounced because somebody with the paperwork quit. And all of this happened from last year to now.

It seems to me with the type of organization we have, if it was as he lays it out, Harbaugh, Newsome, etc. would go to bat for him. I really was interested in seeing him develop. What a shame.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hopedawg View Post
    That part is true. Dr. Leigh Ann is no longer listed on staff by BR.com. Not sure when that happened, I tried looking her up when Pitta went down. She was awesome, gonna miss her presence on the sidelines. Couldn't find any info on her leaving, and no replacement's been named yet.
    Wow she's been with them for years. I know a colleague of hers pretty well. Wonder what the story is?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'm doubtful he would prevail in a appeal, but he might try. The NFL is a league run by a lawyer after all. If the Ravens as a organization is responsible for the foul up, then I would expect they will feel bad and hang onto him. There's a lot of information we don't know. One more strike and he'll never play again.