Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

After reading the top 10 Baltimore athletes, I still laugh about how so many say Michael Phelps is a douche. I also think Jim Palmer is a d bag, and can't stand him on Baltimore Orioles broadcasts.

So, who has had some run ins with Baltimore athletes and thought they were asses.

Amuse me.
    Facebook -> Craig.Ciurca
    Twitter -> @papa_ciurca
    Instagram -> @papa_ciurca

Re: Top d bags from Baltimore sports history

No personal experience, but I read enough about Sidney Ponson to believe he retired the trophy.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Didn't we just do this thread a couple of weeks ago?

Sort of, the personal interactions with athletes thread broke down into a discussion of the D-bags we ran into, like my interaction with Michael Phelps in New Orleans.

Albert Belle refused to sign autographs for kids at baseball games. He's your vinegar & water man.

But since all the sporting millionaires charge for their autographs nowadays, maybe it doesn't matter anymore.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Thought so. Thanks!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Hate to rank him as a top CH3COOH and H2O, but SWMBO and I "met" Frank Robinson at a charity event a number of years ago, well after he had retired. The premise for event-goers was that their $$$ went to a very worthy cause, and some sports celebrities would be on hand to chat, sign whatever you wanted and you could tell your friends you rubbed elbows with some names.

Anyways, Robinson was disinterested to just about everyone, distracted, and when introduced to us by the hoi-polloi, was actually quite rude. I even tried to let him know I was a fan when he was with the Reds way back when and followed his career to the O's, and he basically almost told me to go fuck myself. Perhaps he had other personal distractions, but I was extremely disappointed with the guy.

In contrast, I introduced myself to Chuck Thompson, not necessarily an athlete, but perhaps one of the finest examples of a gentleman and goodwill ambassador for Baltimore that I have ever met. We chatted for a while and I got his autograph, which I value more than Robinson's. Also met and readily received autographs on a baseball from Harmon Killebrew, another fine gentleman; Al Barlick, a top notch ump; Curt Motton, a character; Steve Carlton, who was much nicer than I expected; and a whole bunch of hot babes ;) who played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League - what a cool bunch of chicks!

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    Hate to rank him as a top CH3COOH and H2O, but SWMBO and I "met" Frank Robinson at a charity event a number of years ago, well after he had retired. The premise for event-goers was that their $$$ went to a very worthy cause, and some sports celebrities would be on hand to chat, sign whatever you wanted and you could tell your friends you rubbed elbows with some names.

Anyways, Robinson was disinterested to just about everyone, distracted, and when introduced to us by the hoi-polloi, was actually quite rude. I even tried to let him know I was a fan when he was with the Reds way back when and followed his career to the O's, and he basically almost told me to go fuck myself. Perhaps he had other personal distractions, but I was extremely disappointed with the guy.

In contrast, I introduced myself to Chuck Thompson, not necessarily an athlete, but perhaps one of the finest examples of a gentleman and goodwill ambassador for Baltimore that I have ever met. We chatted for a while and I got his autograph, which I value more than Robinson's. Also met and readily received autographs on a baseball from Harmon Killebrew, another fine gentleman; Al Barlick, a top notch ump; Curt Motton, a character; Steve Carlton, who was much nicer than I expected; and a whole bunch of hot babes ;) who played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League - what a cool bunch of chicks!
    Second the part about Chuck. Awesome guy.

I wouldn't judge an athlete by a brief personal interaction with them, and I haven't even ever personally had one that made me dislike the person. But following your title, here are my Top D-Bags in Baltimore Sports History:

10: Deion Sanders – I have no reason for including him here except that, well, I hate that guy. Always hated that guy. Had to hold my nose while cheering for him.

9: Eddie Murray – I don’t blame him for the rub with the media. But I blame him for letting it interfere with what could have been a beautiful love affair between player and city.

8: Chris McAlister – I hate putting him here, because he played great and helped win us a Lombardi. But he pissed away a chance at being an all-time great.

7: Frank Robinson – Great player, but there are so many fan anecdotes about him being a standoffish prima donna that there’s gotta be some fire behind that smoke.

6: Erik Bedard – Taking himself out of games when he’s pitching shutouts might be the least annoying thing about him.

5: Sydney Ponson – Tub of lard made more in one season that Palmer made in his ENTIRE CAREER. Chew on that.

4: Peter Angelos – Yeah, the team is lovable now, but MAN did you screw up a good thing.

3: Johnny Sample – (Allegedly) stole from a teammate’s locker. Are you kidding?

2: Albert Belle – Asshat before we signed him. Asshat after we signed him. And if I had to guess, right now today… probably still a ginormous asshat.

1: Bob Irsay – Nuff said.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I wouldn't judge an athlete by a brief personal interaction with them, and I haven't even ever personally had one that made me dislike the person. But following your title, here are my Top D-Bags in Baltimore Sports History:

10: Deion Sanders – I have no reason for including him here except that, well, I hate that guy. Always hated that guy. Had to hold my nose while cheering for him.

9: Eddie Murray – I don’t blame him for the rub with the media. But I blame him for letting it interfere with what could have been a beautiful love affair between player and city.

8: Chris McAlister – I hate putting him here, because he played great and helped win us a Lombardi. But he pissed away a chance at being an all-time great.

7: Frank Robinson – Great player, but there are so many fan anecdotes about him being a standoffish prima donna that there’s gotta be some fire behind that smoke.

6: Erik Bedard – Taking himself out of games when he’s pitching shutouts might be the least annoying thing about him.

5: Sydney Ponson – Tub of lard made more in one season that Palmer made in his ENTIRE CAREER. Chew on that.

4: Peter Angelos – Yeah, the team is lovable now, but MAN did you screw up a good thing.

3: Johnny Sample – (Allegedly) stole from a teammate’s locker. Are you kidding?

2: Albert Belle – Asshat before we signed him. Asshat after we signed him. And if I had to guess, right now today… probably still a ginormous asshat.

1: Bob Irsay – Nuff said.
    Good list.

This thread got me thinking back.....Earl Williams and Reggie Jackson. Although certainly not on the top 10 list their time in Baltimore was disappointing. BTW, I remember reading Williams died of Leukemia a few months ago. RIP Earl Williams.