Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Ten greatest athletes in Baltimore sports history

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    I guess only Decathletes need apply to your world - all those that have been mentioned are not atheletes by your discription as they only demonstrate athletic ability in limited areas.
    Not at all. Maybe read the whole thread before wrongly characterizing my opinion?

No votes for Stan Stamenkovic?

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

some-
    I'll throw in a vote for The Magician, although I'm still mystified about the details of his death. :(

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Disagree.

Neither were born in MD. Sugar Ray lived in MD but he had no connection to Bmore.
    Most of the people on the list were not born in Maryland. I don't think that is the criteria. The criteria seems to be the connection to Baltimore sports. It's also a list based on regional popularity of a sport, which is fine. Many of the people on the list are not going to be recognized well outside the Baltimore area, and many wouldn't be recognized worldwide.

I'm full on board with 9 of the 10.

I would have to replace Parker with Ogden though.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Eddie Murray and Sugar Ray Leonard need to at least be on the "deserving of consideration list.

I would find a spot for Pam Shriver in the top 10 just for diversity sake, and I think she deserves it.
    Eddie Murray should replace Phelps on the top ten list. Did Phelps have Baltimore written on his speedo when he was swimming in the Olympics?

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Disagree.

Neither were born in MD. Sugar Ray lived in MD but he had no connection to Bmore.
    Neither was Unitas. Should he be on the top ten list for Pittsburgh since he was born there?

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    some-
    I'll throw in a vote for The Magician, although I'm still mystified about the details of his death. :(
    That's a heckuva pick right there. Magician was sure an appropriate name.

If you've never seen Stan Stamenkovic play, watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MntoblFCx0Y

Both he and especially Eddie Murray are likely candidates, although i don't know who to knock off the list in their favor. It's a pretty good list.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 08-01-2013 at 06:22 PM. Reason: added video
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Neither was Unitas. Should he be on the top ten list for Pittsburgh since he was born there?
    No. I should have added "raised". That's a good point.

Neither Eddie or Sugar Ray had an attachment to Bmore other than playing here. Sugar Ray was more a DC guy.

I think Unitas qualifies since he stayed here after his career and became such an icon to the area.

This is so stupid.

If they played a team sport for a Baltimore team, they count.

If they played a team sport for a non-Baltimore team, they don't count and there's no reason for us to care about them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    some-
    It was in Serbia so we have no way of knowing..... we do have recent experience with a home fall and severe head injury (but that is another story)

I was there that championship Friday nite when they helped Stan Stamenkovic off looking for the world that he was going to be a cripple. Then he came back and fed Mike Stankovic for the goal that broke their back as we went nuts in the Civic Center. It was a bunch of empty net goals after that that just fed our celebrating, but Stan was the Magician

I agree, I don't know who he would replace on the list, but Pizza-man was a magician with his foot
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Rx-
    Yeah, the "accident" WAS away over the seas, and I recall it was in January, so I suppose they have some nasty winter weather there as well, which could have contributed. But it always seemed odd to me that the reporting of a well-known (at least in the States, and Serbia certainly has a taste for soccer stars, too) soccer player, who was not even 40 years old and seemingly in good physical shape, somehow trips and falls and injures his head and dies from it, gets very short shrift, with not a lot of detailed media coverage, IIRC. Maybe international politics and the infant stage of intense global Internet news reporting can explain some of it, BUTT...

I feel like Jason Bourne was involved somehow!!! ;)

RIP, Stan. You were formidable!