Joe Flacco
    Lenny Moore
    Boog Powell
    Jim Gentile
    Dave McNally
    Gino Marchetti
    Pam Shriver
    Wes Unseld

As to Michel Phelps -- he wasn't representing Baltimore in the Olympics, so he arguably doesn't make the list. If the list should include Baltimore area great athletes from the Baltimore area:

Babe Ruth -- would co-share the top of the list with Johnny U the list
    Al Kaline
    Jimmy Foxx
    Eddie Murray and Sugar Ray Leonard need to at least be on the "deserving of consideration list.

I would find a spot for Pam Shriver in the top 10 just for diversity sake, and I think she deserves it.

Blog Entries

Re: Ten greatest athletes in Baltimore sports history

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Isn't Carmello Anthony from Baltimore? He played at Dunbar IIRC.

If we're purely basing it off of athleticism, that dude should definitely be considered.
    I think they have to have some national identity to Baltimore, not just being born there or playing when they were kids. That's why I don't think Babe Ruth should be on the list, and he isn't. But Phelps; everyone knows he's a Baltimore guy.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Athletes?
    Everything I heard about Berry growing up wasn't athlete.... contacts, one shoe higher than the other.... his fame was committment, hours of practice, dedication, and a master at prescision in a time when physical contact was allowed. I'm not argue-ing his greatness, just modifying athlete.

If we are going pure athlete, then we must include Tyrone Curtis "Muggsy" Bouges.
    5'3" and a 14yr NBA career, Olympic gold medalist (1986).... he may be the best pure athlete to ever come out of Baltimore....National identity? His senior year at Dunbar, they were ranked first nationally by USA Today and 31-0. Course people were (and still are) always talking about his height, but he overcame that hurdle every time he faced it.
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    Eddie Murray and Sugar Ray Leonard need to at least be on the "deserving of consideration list.
    Disagree.

Neither were born in MD. Sugar Ray lived in MD but he had no connection to Bmore.

How can being one of the best in an athletic sport, not qualify you as an athlete, or as being athletic? Sometimes we really split hairs around here.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This list from Yahoo should have been called "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" in Baltimore's history.

Jim Palmer was indeed an amazing pitcher. But athlete? Not so sure.
    why wouldn't palmer be considered a great athlete. he was one of the best hitting pitchers in the league and hitting a baseball is arguably the toughing thing to do in sports.

I think that some get hung up on the use of the term athlete. The gist of the story is the 10 greatest Athletes from Baltimore, not the 10 most athletic athletes from Baltimore.

As to the Babe Ruth vs Micael Phelps discussion:

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I think they have to have some national identity to Baltimore, not just being born there or playing when they were kids. That's why I don't think Babe Ruth should be on the list, and he isn't. But Phelps; everyone knows he's a Baltimore guy.

Phelps is a more famous Baltimorean than Ruth? I don't agree. While Ruth had an 80 year head start, he has a museum & famous statue at Camden Yards. Phelps is well known today, but in a minor niche type sport. e.g. How often do you hear about Mark Spitz today?
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

When its all said and done in about 10 years, Tavon Austin will make this list at that point. I expect big things from him, as long as it doesn't come at the Ravens expense (when they play the Rams).

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    To me, no. I don't consider Ruth to be a great athlete either. Just because you're good or great at one athletic skill doesn't make one a great athlete.

Disagree. I think that's precisely the definition of an athlete.

My bad then. By sports figures, I mean players.
    I guess only Decathletes need apply to your world - all those that have been mentioned are not atheletes by your discription as they only demonstrate athletic ability in limited areas.

no EDDIE MURRAY?

Blog Entries

IMO outside of Baltimore or Marylanders, most folks make no association whatsoever of Babe Ruth to Baltimore. I know before I moved there I had no idea there was a claim to fame. He's known as a Red Sox and Yankee.

Phelps is the most decorated Olympic athlete in history so yes, he is very well recognized.

No Kyle Boller?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

T-
    You said, "I think that some get hung up on the use of the term athlete. The gist of the story is the 10 greatest Athletes from Baltimore, not the 10 most athletic athletes from Baltimore", and that is where I was coming from with my post about Brooks.

The guy was an outstanding baseball player, quicker than a cat at 3rd, a regular El Gato! I loved watching him as a kid, and couldn't believe my eyes how he vacuumed anything and everything down the left sideline, made incredible, ballet-like twists and turns, throwing the ball from almost impossible angles and body positions to nab a hitter at first, or start a double play, or whatever. But talk about SLOOOOOOWWWWW on the base paths when he got a hit!!! Thus, he was no Usain Bolt (but I suspect Bolt's no stellar 3rd baseman, either) when he ran for pace, but to me, he was an outstanding athlete.