Joe Flacco
    Lenny Moore
    Boog Powell
    Jim Gentile
    Dave McNally
    Gino Marchetti
    Pam Shriver
    Wes Unseld

As to Michel Phelps -- he wasn't representing Baltimore in the Olympics, so he arguably doesn't make the list. If the list should include Baltimore area great athletes from the Baltimore area:

Babe Ruth -- would co-share the top of the list with Johnny U the list
    Al Kaline
    Jimmy Foxx
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Re: Ten greatest athletes in Baltimore sports history

I'd like to add Art Donavan, but if he heard we called him an "athlete" he'd probably burp up salami and Schlitz all over us.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

I assume the voting is coming from everywhere and there is a lot of anti-Ray sentiment out there. Right now the top four are Johnny U, Phelps, Cal, and Ray.

I don't understand anyone who wouldn't put Phelps on the list or who would put Babe Ruth

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I assume the voting is coming from everywhere and there is a lot of anti-Ray sentiment out there. Right now the top four are Johnny U, Phelps, Cal, and Ray.

I don't understand anyone who wouldn't put Phelps on the list or who would put Babe Ruth
    I'm good with Phelps on the list. Towson is 2 miles from the City line.

Babe Ruth was born in Baltimore, learned to play baseball in an orphanage in Baltimore, got his first professional baseball job with the Baltimore Orioles, and was given his nickname "Babe" by the manager of the O's, Jack Dunn (with the help of Baltimore sportswriters ;)).

The list they have seems pretty good to me. It's kind of a shame that Cal Ripken is way ahead of Brooks, Frank, and Jim Palmer in the voting. Not to take anything away from Mr. Ripken's historic streak, but all three of the aforementioned gentlemen were better baseball players.

IMHO Johnny Unitas and Brooks Robinson must top any list of athletes out of Baltimore.
    Twenty years of Cheers.

This list from Yahoo should have been called "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" in Baltimore's history.

Jim Palmer was indeed an amazing pitcher. But athlete? Not so sure.

Blog Entries

I get that Ruth was born in Baltimore and played a little ball there but come on. The statue is kind of embarrassing IMO; every non-Baltimore sports fan thinks of him as a Yankee and/or Red Sox player. It's a reach to tie him to Baltimore, again IMO.

That's why he is not on the list

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I'll see your "do not understand" and I'll raise you one: I don't understand anyone who wouldn't put Phelps on the list without also putting Babe Ruth on the list. Their situations were nearly identical:

Both Phelps and Ruth were arguably the best athletes, or at least the most successful ones, in their respective sports in their eras. Both grew up in/near Baltimore. Neither was an athlete representing Baltimore (excludes Ruth's minor league tour).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This list from Yahoo should have been called "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" in Baltimore's history.

Jim Palmer was indeed an amazing pitcher. But athlete? Not so sure.
    Huh? Isn't have one of the best arms in baseball at that time an attribute of athleticism? One doesn't have to be an all-around jock to be considered an athlete.

AS to your "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" list: Chuck Thompson, John Steadman, and Sam Lacy would also a "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" list. Maybe even Marty Bass.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

I get that Ruth was born in Baltimore and played a little ball there but come on. The statue is kind of embarrassing IMO; every non-Baltimore sports fan thinks of him as a Yankee and/or Red Sox player. It's a reach to tie him to Baltimore, again IMO.

That's why he is not on the list
    Oh I agree he shouldn't be on the list, but for Baltimore not to honor him at all would be kind of insulting to the memory of the guy, once you know the facts. His statue in Camden Yards is entirely appropriate. It stands less then 100 yards from the site of a house he and his family lived in, which was located just behind where 2nd base is now in Oriole Park. The Babe Ruth Birthplace Museum, where he was born, is only 4-5 blocks away.
    Last edited by Real Fan Dan; 08-01-2013 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Correct error on birthplace location
    Twenty years of Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Huh? Isn't have one of the best arms in baseball at that time an attribute of athleticism?
    To me, no. I don't consider Ruth to be a great athlete either. Just because you're good or great at one athletic skill doesn't make one a great athlete.

One doesn't have to be an all-around jock to be considered an athlete.
    Disagree. I think that's precisely the definition of an athlete.

AS to your "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" list: Chuck Thompson, John Steadman, and Sam Lacy would also a "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" list. Maybe even Marty Bass.
    My bad then. By sports figures, I mean players.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

HR-
    I hear you about the def'n of athlete, but I tend to disagree.

As an example, Brooksie was, IMHO, a great athlete. However, to look at him as an all-around skilled "athlete", consider that he was so "fast" on the base paths, he could hit the ball past all of the outfielders and stretch a triple into a double, easily! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Petard View Post
    HR-
    I hear you about the def'n of athlete, but I tend to disagree.

As an example, Brooksie was, IMHO, a great athlete. However, to look at him as an all-around skilled "athlete", consider that he was so "fast" on the base paths, he could hit the ball past all of the outfielders and stretch a triple into a double, easily! ;)
    You and are on the same page then.

I agree Brooks was an amazing athlete and that makes my point in a way.

Players like Cal, Ray, Brooks, Phelps are athletes in my book. Cal, for example, is an amazing hoops player. Ray has incorporated cycling and other athletic endeavors in his training regiment. Brooks, as you put it, was an amazing hitter, reflexes like a cat and was fast.

Blog Entries

Isn't Carmello Anthony from Baltimore? He played at Dunbar IIRC.

If we're purely basing it off of athleticism, that dude should definitely be considered.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.