Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Ten greatest athletes in Baltimore sports history

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    No. I should have added "raised". That's a good point.

Neither Eddie or Sugar Ray had an attachment to Bmore other than playing here. Sugar Ray was more a DC guy.

I think Unitas qualifies since he stayed here after his career and became such an icon to the area.

WTF? Eddie Murray shouldn't be considered because his only tie to Baltimore was playing here? Playing for a Baltimore team is the MAIN factor. Lol. He may not have played his entire career here but his prime was here and he was the most feared hitter in baseball for the better part of a decade when he was Baltimore.

On a side note if the list is based on athleticism then I think Lenny Moore has to make the list. He was far and away the best athlete on the old Colt teams - better then Unitas and Berry. I'm not saying he was a better football player, just a better athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    WTF? Eddie Murray shouldn't be considered because his only tie to Baltimore was playing here? Playing for a Baltimore team is the MAIN factor. Lol. He may not have played his entire career here but his prime was here and he was the most feared hitter in baseball for the better part of a decade when he was Baltimore.
    Not quite.

Maybe read the linked article in the OP?

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post

That's a heckuva pick right there. Magician was sure an appropriate name.

If you've never seen Stan Stamenkovic play, watch this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MntoblFCx0Y

Both he and especially Eddie Murray are likely candidates, although i don't know who to knock off the list in their favor. It's a pretty good list.
    I am glad there are at least a few people on this board as old as I am. I suspect there are 20 something's who have no idea what we are talking about. Its hard to imagine now, but the Blast had a decent following for a few years there. They put on a pretty decent show.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Eddie Murray should replace Phelps on the top ten list. Did Phelps have Baltimore written on his speedo when he was swimming in the Olympics?
    No, but he did have NBAC written all over his swim cap when he competed for the US National Championships and a spot on the Olympic team. Additionally, just about every story on him in every Olympics mentioned his training at NBAC (North Baltimore Aquatic Club).

And Eddie Murray didn't have "Baltimore" written on his jersey, either. Those were the "Orioles" days.

"Most Famous Native Baltimoreans in History" (those actually born and raised within the Baltimore City metropolitan area - perhaps stretched a bit - who have made a permanent mark in American history & culture) in order of national/international fame:

1. Johns Hopkins (19th century founder of the hospital and university)
    2. Babe Ruth (the closest real-life personification of "The Natural" (1984 flick))
    3. Frederick Douglas (19th century author-abolitionist-statement)
    4. Upton Sinclair (early 20th century author of "The Jungle")
    5. Garry Moore (1950's and 60's TV game show host)
    6. Paul Ford (1950's and 60's stage, TV and movie actor-comedian) *
    7. H.L. Mencken (early 20th century journalist; Poly graduate)
    8. Michael Phelps (swimmer; current record holder of Olympic gold medals)
    9. Spiro Agnew (late 20th century Governor of Maryland and U.S. Vice President)
    10. John Astin (1960's and 70's TV actor; starred in "The Addams Family" comedy; received Oscar nomination)

My computer is too slow to allow me to adjust the order (e.g., H.L. Mencken should probably be higher). Fortunately, only one (Agnew) has a negative connotation associated with his fame.

Honorable Mention:

- Al Kaline (Hall-of-Fame Detroit Tiger; Southern High graduate)
    - James Rouse (builder-founder of Columbia, MD; 'urban renewal' pioneer; shopping 'mall' pioneer)

I have probably overlooked some others deserving.

* WHO??? Mr. Ford's name is not even famous to Baltimoreans. But if you are a fan of movies such as the "Music Man" (1962 musical), "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963 comedy), "The Russians are Coming, The Russians Are Coming! (1966 comedy) and "The Comedians" (1968 drama), you already know he is one of the greatest character actors of all time. His face and voice are internationally known by the older generation.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    "Most Famous Native Baltimoreans in History" (those actually born and raised within the Baltimore City metropolitan area - perhaps stretched a bit - who have made a permanent mark in American history & culture) in order of national/international fame:

1. Johns Hopkins (19th century founder of the hospital and university)
    2. Babe Ruth (the closest real-life personification of "The Natural" (1984 flick))
    3. Frederick Douglas (19th century author-abolitionist-statement)
    4. Upton Sinclair (early 20th century author of "The Jungle")
    5. Garry Moore (1950's and 60's TV game show host)
    6. Paul Ford (1950's and 60's stage, TV and movie actor-comedian) *
    7. H.L. Mencken (early 20th century journalist; Poly graduate)
    8. Michael Phelps (swimmer; current record holder of Olympic gold medals)
    9. Spiro Agnew (late 20th century Governor of Maryland and U.S. Vice President)
    10. John Astin (1960's and 70's TV actor; starred in "The Addams Family" comedy; received Oscar nomination)

My computer is too slow to allow me to adjust the order (e.g., H.L. Mencken should probably be higher). Fortunately, only one (Agnew) has a negative connotation associated with his fame.

Honorable Mention:

- James Rouse (builder-founder of Columbia, MD; 'urban renewal' pioneer; shopping 'mall' pioneer)

* WHO??? Mr. Ford's name is not even famous to Baltimoreans. But if you are a fan of movies such as the "Music Man" (1962 musical), "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" (1963 comedy), "The Russians are Coming, The Russians Are Coming! (1966 comedy) and "The Comedians" (1968 drama), you already know he is one of the greatest character actors of all time. His face and voice are internationally known by the older generation.

CC
    If we are expanding, can we throw in Tom Clancy, Elmo (Kevin Clash), and Dwight Schultz (just becaise the A-Team is the best show in history)

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

CC-
    Your list is very impressive, and I think some's suggestions have merit as well. But I'll add that [disclaimer: I'm hardly an historian and not an overly qualified bookworm, so others may know more than me on this], and I realize everyone has their warts (see: The Babe ;)), my understanding is that Mencken had some pretty forward "negative connotations" regarding race, e.g., regarding Jews and blacks. Don't mean to take this thread OT and off-forum, just remember reading stuff about ol' H.L....

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus Corax View Post
    "Most Famous Native Baltimoreans in History" (those actually born and raised within the Baltimore City metropolitan area - perhaps stretched a bit - who have made a permanent mark in American history & culture) in order of national/international fame ...

Honorable Mention:

CC
    Great list CC
    But let's not forget ;)

Eddie Rommel - Born in Balto - Father of the modern knuckleball
    Bill Holbert - Born in Balto - Holds the record for the most at bats (2,335) without ever hitting a home run

And if we're expanding the area, there's a bunch more like Kimmie Meisner, Olympic Figure Skating Champion.

This is a good site for athletes that have come out of Maryland - pretty interesting
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._A_%E2%80%93_M
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

If you are going to go off topic, you might as well go off the wall: Frank Zappa.

Johnny U currently leads with 37%
    Cal has 34%
    Phelps is listed ahead of Ray Lewis although both are at 10%
    Brooks is a distant 4th with 5%

6,600 folks have voted. It's doubled since yesterday.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Not quite.

Maybe read the linked article in the OP?

I did read the article. Did you?

You said Eddie Murray shouldn't receive consideration because he wasn't born here. Then you said he had no other attachments to Baltimore other then playing here.

Here's what the article said word for word.

"While the current Ravens and Orioles may be among the better teams in Baltimore professional sports history, who are the best athletes in the city's history?

Baltimore has had many premier athletes, but this list has been narrowed down to the 10 best, in alphabetical order, to ever wear a uniform for a professional sports team in the city."

The article says "who are the best athletes in the city's history" and "this list has been narrowed down to the 10 best, in alphabetical order, to ever wear a uniform for a professional sports team in the city". No where does it say the 10 best athletes who were born, live or lived in Baltimore.

You might disagree about Murray being on the list because you don't think his career was one of the ten best and that would be fine. It's your opinion but the list requirements did not say anything other then being a Baltimore athlete or playing for a Baltimore team.

I also want to correct something else you said on page 1 of the thread.

You said...

"This list from Yahoo should have been called "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" in Baltimore's history.

Jim Palmer was indeed an amazing pitcher. But athlete? Not so sure."

Jim Palmer was offered a basketball scholarship to UCLA in 1963 by John Wooden right at the beginning of UCLA's dynasty in the 1960's. I'd say he's an athlete.

http://www.cmgww.com/baseball/palmer/biography.htm

Maybe you should try reading more instead of insulting my reading comprehension.

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    I did read the article. Did you?

You said Eddie Murray shouldn't receive consideration because he wasn't born here. Then you said he had no other attachments to Baltimore other then playing here.

Here's what the article said word for word.

"While the current Ravens and Orioles may be among the better teams in Baltimore professional sports history, who are the best athletes in the city's history?

Baltimore has had many premier athletes, but this list has been narrowed down to the 10 best, in alphabetical order, to ever wear a uniform for a professional sports team in the city."

The article says "who are the best athletes in the city's history" and "this list has been narrowed down to the 10 best, in alphabetical order, to ever wear a uniform for a professional sports team in the city". No where does it say the 10 best athletes who were born, live or lived in Baltimore.

You might disagree about Murray being on the list because you don't think his career was one of the ten best and that would be fine. It's your opinion but the list requirements did not say anything other then being a Baltimore athlete or playing for a Baltimore team.

I also want to correct something else you said on page 1 of the thread.

You said...

"This list from Yahoo should have been called "Ten Greatest Sports Figures" in Baltimore's history.

Jim Palmer was indeed an amazing pitcher. But athlete? Not so sure."

Jim Palmer was offered a basketball scholarship to UCLA in 1963 by John Wooden right at the beginning of UCLA's dynasty in the 1960's. I'd say he's an athlete.

http://www.cmgww.com/baseball/palmer/biography.htm

Maybe you should try reading more instead of insulting my reading comprehension.
    All valid points and I stand corrected. My apologies if you felt offended.