Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OT: The Real Punishment for the Patriots is yet to come . . .

So I see some articles out there saying that the commissioner's punishment was just a slap on the wrist to the Patriots. Which it was. And I can't say that when I heard it, I wasn't initially a little miffed.

However, I was just thinking about it, and I realized that IF this is as bad as we think it is, the real punishment may be on the way.

Essentially, if this cheating tactic has been the reason for the Patriots to typically run away with games in the 2nd half, or their ridiculous home field advantage (i.e. radio jammers, extra headsets, etc) I'm sure the league will be out looking for that.

Now if their team is the truth, none of this will matter, and they'll lose a 1st rounder.

If it is as big as an advantage as we think it might be, could we see the Patriots regress and have a down season the season everyone is calling them favorites to win it again?

Will we see a Tom Brady that suddenly doesn't know where the pressure is coming from and is not invincible?

I can't wait to see the Patriots play at M&T Bank Stadium.

No radio jammers. No stealing signals through videotape. Mano a Mano, team to team, can you really beat this defense?

I think in about 16 games we will know just how much the Patriots cheating did or didn't help them in the last few years.

And the punishment is on the way if they have a shitty season this year. Everyone will recognize them for the frauds they are. But thats if they are suddenly mortal.

Re: OT: The Real Punishment for the Patriots is yet to come . . .

I've never liked Belichick. People think Billick is arrogant...but this guy takes the cake. He dresses like a bum and now he's a cheater. Your damn right he just got a slap on the hand. Although the fine is steep I don't think he'll lose too much sleep over it. If this is as serious as it sounds then the league should have suspended him for the rest of the year. Goddell has sent the right messages to players who mess up and he should have done the same here.
    M&T Bank Stadium - Section 513
    Proud Season Ticket Holder since 1998

Bottom line if someone is cheating you need to do more than just fine and collect money. At this point someone has a loss on their record because of the cheat. And its not like the Jets are getting those picks or money as compensation. Plus a college player who could have been pick at that position they were drafting at is now being penalized because of a mistake made by the decision makers on the Patriots. A harsher penalty should have come down on the person who was filming, the Gm and the HC. All should have had some kind of suspension from the team with the draft picks going to the team that was screwed.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

With Steroids, HGH, the NBA scandal, and now this, it's really hard to believe that what we watch is on the up and up.

I initially thought the punishment was great but I too think it wasn't enough.

PP

Well I think the truth is about to come out about this franchise, and that'll be punishment right there.

if they really needed video tape analysis to know where defensive pressure was coming from, than I'll just assume that Tom Brady's pocket presence isn't what we thought it was.

I could see them really having a bad run this year and a lot of loses if the cheating was necessary.

Lets see what happens against San Diego. If they lose that game, I would guess they are in for a long season.

How is this a big deal? The players have to perform either way.. All the teams have to do is change their signals.. How hard is that? They should be doing that anyway. imo..

Do you really see the Pats completely falling apart as a result of this? I sure don't. It does raise suspicion as to past games, but they still have great players. I still see them winning their division this year and they still have a very good shot at getting to the Super Bowl.

I agree.

It depends on if this is just the Jets incident by itself as this punishment or if there is something more.

We'll all have to wait and see.

At some point, players play against each other. At other points, if Tom Brady knows the defensive playcalling, it's sure a hell of a lot easier to take advantage of a zone blitz or whatever else.

When is there time to analyze the stuff? during halftime. So I agree, maybe those halftime adjustments on offense really weren't adjustments?

It's a sad day for football.

I just posted in the other thread about this (maybe merge?)

In short, I wish the NFL would have investigated more. I believe this goes WAY deeper than the Jets game. I want a full scale investigation to catch them red-handed and destroy this whole dynasty.

Obviously they wouldn't do it and risk what they've lost if it wasn't worth it. Meaning the information is very valuble. I assume it would be like knowing what pitch is coming. If you know who is blitzing, and what the safety coverage is, or man to man versus cover 2, then you can audible to a play that you know will work. It's what moves the chains, and put points on the board. Yes the players play, but if you know what to expect, the reaction is out of the equation.

This is where the media should do some leg work and comb pictures of the the last few years of the sidelines where the patriots had played and look for Matt Estrella with a camera in his hand and create some sort of time line of the cheating. They should make a lot of noise about it too. It shouldn't be hard to do and would be an interesting piece. It appears the NFL has made this ruling based on One game. I think if it could be proven that this type of tactic was used over many years the commish would have come down harder on the patriots. If a player gets caught taking steriods and a suspension is in order, regardless if its a celebrated head coach the same should happen to the HC.
    WOW! I feel so fortunate that the Ravens did what they had to do to make this happen. Thank you. My Heart is with the Raven....My Heart is with Baltimore and its great fans. What can I say. Here We Go!!! --Ray Lewis
    No, Thank you Ray... :ww:
    -->^78F$09U&67D!45A#54R87B)89V<--

Quote Originally Posted by crazyraven View Post
    This is where the media should do some leg work and comb pictures of the the last few years of the sidelines where the patriots had played and look for Matt Estrella with a camera in his hand and create some sort of time line of the cheating. They should make a lot of noise about it too. It shouldn't be hard to do and would be an interesting piece. It appears the NFL has made this ruling based on One game. I think if it could be proven that this type of tactic was used over many years the commish would have come down harder on the patriots. If a player gets caught taking steriods and a suspension is in order, regardless if its a celebrated head coach the same should happen to the HC.
    If I had time and/or were about to write professionally, that's something I thought about as well. It would be pretty easy to scan through angles of pats games for a few years.

Hopefully someone will check it out.