Page 53 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5152535455 ... LastLast

Re: Around the League

Also, BTW, those are the last 5 wide receivers drafted by the Patriots. I wasn't picking and choosing just for bad picks in the midst of decent picks. Their last 5 picks have a combined 57 career catches.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    From a skills perspective, he is exactly what the Ravens offense needs.
    Still not convinced about his psyche, but skills? Man oh man...

If he's cut, signing and placing him on PS or IR doesn't do much for his development, but hell we pretty much know already that our 2014 WR depth chart will be 50% slimmer (Jones, Doss, Stokley are each at great risk), so in principle maybe it makes sense.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    Also, BTW, those are the last 5 wide receivers drafted by the Patriots. I wasn't picking and choosing just for bad picks in the midst of decent picks. Their last 5 picks have a combined 57 career catches.
    That's good info on NE. They've struggled historically as well. Only their 2002 class was close to being worth a damn (Deion Branch and David Givens). Otherwise, you got Troy Brown in there somewhere, and Irving Fryar during the pre-Internet days.

It will be interesting to see how their 2013 class turns out. Lots of praise so far, but maybe media bias.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    From a skills perspective, he is exactly what the Ravens offense needs.
    I was a big Rogers fan, and was disappointed that the Ravens didn't go after him. But the more I see Brown and Mellette, the more I wonder if Rogers brings that much more to the table. (After watching Patton last night, I think he would have been a good pick if he'd fallen just one more slot, but that's water under the bridge now.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    That's good info on NE. They've struggled historically as well. Only their 2002 class was close to being worth a damn (Deion Branch and David Givens). Otherwise, you got Troy Brown in there somewhere, and Irving Fryar during the pre-Internet days.

It will be interesting to see how their 2013 class turns out. Lots of praise so far, but maybe media bias.
    I laugh every time I hear media pundits fawn all over the Pats and how great they are at accumulating draft picks. They haven't done squat with the draft for years, and it's more than just not picking up good WRs. They haven't done much in any other areas either. Compare that to the Ravens, and it's night and day. And I think it's one of the reasons the Pats just haven 't been that dominant, even though they get to the playoffs often. (Look at their division, and that's one of the biggest reasons they do.)

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Still not convinced about his psyche, but skills? Man oh man...

If he's cut, signing and placing him on PS or IR doesn't do much for his development, but hell we pretty much know already that our 2014 WR depth chart will be 50% slimmer (Jones, Doss, Stokley are each at great risk), so in principle maybe it makes sense.
    Hmmm...I think someone threw this out there last week, but might this contribute to the argument for keeping both Brown and Mellette assuming they don't isht the bed vs. STL?

@BigPlayReceiver

The Ravens have drafted 18 WRs in their history.

I'd rank them in this fashion:

1) Torrey Smith- clearly the best, not only in terms of production, but in terms of being the only draftee who has ever resembled a #1 WR.

2) Brandon Stokley- A 4th round pick who will be playing in his 15th NFL season says a lot. However, most of his most productive seasons came with other franchises. He did score the very first Super Bowl TD in Raven history. Excellent pick, even if the value for the Ravens was a bit limited.

3)Jermaine Lewis- Even though his career was nowhere near the level of Stokley's in totality, as a Raven, he accomplished a lot more. As sensational a return man as he was, he also was a productive #3 WR for a handful of years. For a 5th round pick, great value.

That's 3 out of 18 that were good picks.

4) Clayton- I don't think this was a bad pick. He was a mild underachiever, but he did have a lot of big moments for the Raven organization. He also averaged over 600 yards a season during his five years with the Raven.

5) Demetrious Williams- did have over 1000 yards receiving as a 4th rounder. Had the talent. Couldn't stay healthy.

6) Travis Taylor- Even though he had over 4000 career yards, I'd consider him far more of a bust than Clayton. He was drafted higher and, unlike Clayton, couldn't seem to stay healthy. As a Raven, he actually had about 500 fewer yards than Clayton.

7) Patrick Johnson- a classic bust. The dude was good for 2 electrifying big plays per season and that was about it. Legs of gold. Hands of stone. 1286 career receiving yards for the 42nd pick of a draft doesn't cut it.

The also rans:

8) David Reed- tops the also rans list because of his special teams ability and the fact that out of the upcoming 11 players, he's the only one who wasn't an outright stinker.

9) Doss- I only put him this high because, at age 24, he could still salvage a career if he can somehow manage to make the team.

10) Devard Darling- he did have one season of over 300 yards. Not a good WR in any form though. A 3rd rounder too.

11) Yamon Figurs- the fact that he's a 3rd rounder with 5 career catches and there are 7 players BELOW him tells you a lot. He was a good kick returner at least.

12) Clarence Moore- He probably should rank higher since he was a 5th rounder who did catch a massive 29 career passes (good for this list), but I hated the way he played the position, so I can't bring myself to do it.

13) Ron Johnson- 4th rounder caught 11 career passes...woohoo

14) Derek Abney- Was a 7th rounder who never played a down in the NFL. No harm no foul due to his draft position.

15) Justin Harper- was a 7th rounder who is credited with having played in 2 NFL games and 0 NFL catches. I rank him below Abney because this guy had far more talent. He was Patrick Johnson 2.0 except Patrick somehow managed to flash that occasional spark in a game once in a blue moon. All Harper ever did was occasionally wow us in preseason only to disappoint the next play.

16) Tommy Streeter- 6th rounder recently cut. I don't even have him in the bottom two because I do feel like he might have been a victim of a stronger depth of WR than we normally see. Also, if you look at the last two names on this list, you'll see why he should be here.

17) Javin Hunter- he was also a 6th rounder who managed to catch 5 NFL passes. However, he was drafted at a point when WR was painfully thin and he couldn't ever really crack the rotation. His criminal history also seemed to cause more negative attention to the franchise than the little positives he brought. Streeter might not be a good NFL WR, but he is a good human at least.

18) Marcus Smith- If it wasn't for Oneil Cousins, this would be my least favorite Raven of all-time. He was a 4th round pick in 2008 and caught a career 0 passes. He had a few decent moments on special teams, but he caught ZERO NFL passes. It wasn't as if this was David Reed either, who never really saw much scrimmage action. Once Demetrious Williams got hurt in Flacco's rookie 2008 season, Marcus Smith became our #3 WR and caught ZERO passes. The guy had atrocious hands.

His two most memorable plays as a Raven were in 2008 during our home game loss to the Steelers (the Santonio Holmes goal line play) when early in the game, Flacco hit him right in the hands with a pass and he came no where close to catching it and it deflected to Ryan Clark who nearly returned it for a TD. Then, in the 2011 playoff game in Pittsburgh, his holding call on the Webb punt return TD cost us 4 points and a likely trip to the Super Bowl. I still don't believe it was an actual penalty, but it was a boneheaded, unnecessary block that cost us a trip the Super Bowl. Webb's TD would have given the Ravens a 4 point lead with 5:55 to go and given us very favorable odds that we were hosting the Jets and Sanchez the next week in Baltimore. The name Marcus Smith still makes my blood boil.

The team's dire long-term situation at pass-catcher can't be overstated.

Only Torrey Smith is a lock in 2014, and he'll be entering his contract year; if he has a huge breakout in 2013 an extension could be very, very tricky given the dire cap situation in 2014 and beyond. Mellette, Brown, and Thompson are promising and cheap, but none of them are elite talents and it would be a mistake to rely on them breaking out. That's not even taking TE into consideration.

Having said all that if I were Ozzie I'd be all over Da'Rick Rogers if he doesn't make Buffalo's roster. In terms of pure receiving talent he's head and shoulders above everyone on the Ravens except Torrey Smith, but from what I'm reading he has lagged behind mentally in Buffalo. The Bills are supposedly using a run-and-shoot sort of offense that asks a ton of the WRs mentally, so maybe he would be a better fit in our system.

I expect Thompson to be IRed and Doss to be cut, so that should free up a spot for Rogers as the 6th WR... 1) Smith 2) Jones 3) Stokley 4) Mellette 5) Brown 6) Rogers. If they don't want to carry 6, I'm sure they could sneak Mellette or Brown through waivers or get one onto IR.

Blog Entries

Speaking of undrafted rookie wide receivers, it looks like Da'Rick Rodgers is on the outside looking in for one of the six WR slots on the Bills. Everything I'm reading says that they are quite pleased with how he's performed, but he's got on the wrong side of the numbers game there. I know a lot of people here, myself included him, had him mocked to us in the 3rd/4th round, so I wonder if he'd be interested in pursuing.
    I was/am a huge Rogers fan as well. I am pleased with Mellette and Brown, but I think Rogers might be a better player than Mellette. If the Bills part ways with him, I hope the Ravens bring him in for a look.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    The team's dire long-term situation at pass-catcher can't be overstated.

Only Torrey Smith is a lock in 2014, and he'll be entering his contract year; if he has a huge breakout in 2013 an extension could be very, very tricky given the dire cap situation in 2014 and beyond. Mellette, Brown, and Thompson are promising and cheap, but none of them are elite talents and it would be a mistake to rely on them breaking out. That's not even taking TE into consideration.

Having said all that if I were Ozzie I'd be all over Da'Rick Rogers if he doesn't make Buffalo's roster. In terms of pure receiving talent he's head and shoulders above everyone on the Ravens except Torrey Smith, but from what I'm reading he has lagged behind mentally in Buffalo. The Bills are supposedly using a run-and-shoot sort of offense that asks a ton of the WRs mentally, so maybe he would be a better fit in our system.

I expect Thompson to be IRed and Doss to be cut, so that should free up a spot for Rogers as the 6th WR... 1) Smith 2) Jones 3) Stokley 4) Mellette 5) Brown 6) Rogers. If they don't want to carry 6, I'm sure they could sneak Mellette or Brown through waivers or get one onto IR.
    Next year's draft will be O heavy anyway, providing it stacks up with BPA. OT, WR and possibly TE will be needed. Oher/Pitta/Dickson are all in contract years this year (if both Oher and Pitta run out their contracts, that'll be an interesting decision for the FO to make with any form of a tag). Sure, if Rogers is there, kick the tires if available - even if only 1 of him, Mellette, Thompson, Brown break out, that improves things considerably. That said, considering the logjam of bright, young, hopefuls at WR, it's unlikely that the Ravens will take a flyer.

If the D is as good as advertised, the only position of any thought might be ILB and a backup S - both positions that had the top 2 picks anyway for this year. The rest of it is fine for now.
    Last edited by Tyrian; 08-26-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Da'Rick Rogers was officially cut

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ve-bills-cuts/

The Ravens have drafted 18 WRs in their history.

I'd rank them in this fashion:

1) Torrey Smith- clearly the best, not only in terms of production, but in terms of being the only draftee who has ever resembled a #1 WR.

2) Brandon Stokley- A 4th round pick who will be playing in his 15th NFL season says a lot. However, most of his most productive seasons came with other franchises. He did score the very first Super Bowl TD in Raven history. Excellent pick, even if the value for the Ravens was a bit limited.

3)Jermaine Lewis- Even though his career was nowhere near the level of Stokley's in totality, as a Raven, he accomplished a lot more. As sensational a return man as he was, he also was a productive #3 WR for a handful of years. For a 5th round pick, great value.

That's 3 out of 18 that were good picks.

4) Clayton- I don't think this was a bad pick. He was a mild underachiever, but he did have a lot of big moments for the Raven organization. He also averaged over 600 yards a season during his five years with the Raven.

5) Demetrious Williams- did have over 1000 yards receiving as a 4th rounder. Had the talent. Couldn't stay healthy.

6) Travis Taylor- Even though he had over 4000 career yards, I'd consider him far more of a bust than Clayton. He was drafted higher and, unlike Clayton, couldn't seem to stay healthy. As a Raven, he actually had about 500 fewer yards than Clayton.

7) Patrick Johnson- a classic bust. The dude was good for 2 electrifying big plays per season and that was about it. Legs of gold. Hands of stone. 1286 career receiving yards for the 42nd pick of a draft doesn't cut it.

The also rans:

8) David Reed- tops the also rans list because of his special teams ability and the fact that out of the upcoming 11 players, he's the only one who wasn't an outright stinker.

9) Doss- I only put him this high because, at age 24, he could still salvage a career if he can somehow manage to make the team.

10) Devard Darling- he did have one season of over 300 yards. Not a good WR in any form though. A 3rd rounder too.

11) Yamon Figurs- the fact that he's a 3rd rounder with 5 career catches and there are 7 players BELOW him tells you a lot. He was a good kick returner at least.

12) Clarence Moore- He probably should rank higher since he was a 5th rounder who did catch a massive 29 career passes (good for this list), but I hated the way he played the position, so I can't bring myself to do it.

13) Ron Johnson- 4th rounder caught 11 career passes...woohoo

14) Derek Abney- Was a 7th rounder who never played a down in the NFL. No harm no foul due to his draft position.

15) Justin Harper- was a 7th rounder who is credited with having played in 2 NFL games and 0 NFL catches. I rank him below Abney because this guy had far more talent. He was Patrick Johnson 2.0 except Patrick somehow managed to flash that occasional spark in a game once in a blue moon. All Harper ever did was occasionally wow us in preseason only to disappoint the next play.

16) Tommy Streeter- 6th rounder recently cut. I don't even have him in the bottom two because I do feel like he might have been a victim of a stronger depth of WR than we normally see. Also, if you look at the last two names on this list, you'll see why he should be here.

17) Javin Hunter- he was also a 6th rounder who managed to catch 5 NFL passes. However, he was drafted at a point when WR was painfully thin and he couldn't ever really crack the rotation. His criminal history also seemed to cause more negative attention to the franchise than the little positives he brought. Streeter might not be a good NFL WR, but he is a good human at least.

18) Marcus Smith- If it wasn't for Oneil Cousins, this would be my least favorite Raven of all-time. He was a 4th round pick in 2008 and caught a career 0 passes. He had a few decent moments on special teams, but he caught ZERO NFL passes. It wasn't as if this was David Reed either, who never really saw much scrimmage action. Once Demetrious Williams got hurt in Flacco's rookie 2008 season, Marcus Smith became our #3 WR and caught ZERO passes. The guy had atrocious hands.

His two most memorable plays as a Raven were in 2008 during our home game loss to the Steelers (the Santonio Holmes goal line play) when early in the game, Flacco hit him right in the hands with a pass and he came no where close to catching it and it deflected to Ryan Clark who nearly returned it for a TD. Then, in the 2011 playoff game in Pittsburgh, his holding call on the Webb punt return TD cost us 4 points and a likely trip to the Super Bowl. I still don't believe it was an actual penalty, but it was a boneheaded, unnecessary block that cost us a trip the Super Bowl. Webb's TD would have given the Ravens a 4 point lead with 5:55 to go and given us very favorable odds that we were hosting the Jets and Sanchez the next week in Baltimore. The name Marcus Smith still makes my blood boil.
    But what about those 2 guys who keep insisting that Ozzie is 1 out of 3 when it comes to WRs?

(It's like someone insisting that you have a 50/50 chance of winning the lottery -- either you do, or you don't win. Try arguing with that sort of logic.)