View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Jayc00 View Post
    Nobody catches these passes in the league. I don't care what anybody says. Boldin was an important piece to this to the offense and he's going to be missed. Period. It was a mistake to trade him for some bullshit... I hope I'm wrong.

Attachment 1741Attachment 1742
    Pretty much how I felt about the whole thing....no reason Boldin shouldn't still be a Raven. They must have alot of faith in Doss, Thompson and Streeter...hope it is something we have yet to see.

Nobody catches these passes in the league. I don't care what anybody says. Boldin was an important piece to this to the offense and he's going to be missed. Period. It was a mistake to trade him for some bullshit... I hope I'm wrong.

Attachment 1741Attachment 1742

I just watched the New England game (AFCCG). If Talib does not get hurt, Boldin is not a factor. Joe threw to him and Talib was there to break up the pass.

He had a goal to win a ring, since he was robbed of one before, and was a man possessed. I loved the guy as a player, but I also do not know the inner workings of the team. I hope they made the right move. He is not the be-all-end-all, IMHO.
    Captain Offense

What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    That cap space could have easily been saved elsewhere.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    I see you've already addressed my original question to you so I will let it go.

But the bottom line is Ozzie didn't feel that Boldin was going to produce enough this year to be worth what he wanted in money. Why don't we see what his production is like in a San Francisco system that is needing a possession receiver after Gore went down... If he does what you think we needed him to do here, then you can say Ozzie was wrong about his value to the team. Until then, just wait and see. I don't think it is a stretch to trust that Ozzie knows what he is doing. He knows better than we do how much Boldin has left in the tank and if he thinks it wasn't enough, that's fine. If he's wrong, it's just a minor mistake, because from a front office logic perspective it is always better to cut a player a year too soon rather than a year too late. These matters are always a bit of a gamble.

I side with Ozzie on this one but even if he is wrong, it's just the way it goes when evaluating the value of talent in the NFL. Sometimes you look like a genius, sometimes you don't. That hindsight doesn't change what was the right decision at the time.

When Ozzie cut Mason after 2010 everybody thought it was ridiculous. He was still the leading receiver on this team. People said it was too soon to cut him. But it worked out and as it turned out Mason goes to the Jets and the Texans and does nothing and is done in the NFL. If Ozzie gets the same sense about Boldin right now, then it is the right thing to do to cut him, even if Boldin has a good year this year.

Edit: Sorry, I meant Crabtree, not Gore up above when discussing the 49ers.
    Last edited by callahan09; 07-31-2013 at 09:09 AM.

At the time of the Boldin trade it was the right thing to do. They anticipated Pitta and Boldin playing the same role in the offense moving forward. Had they known they would lose Pitta for the season they probably don't make that trade. Hindsight is 20/20. I am not sure how much cap savings the Ravens would have gotten had they cut McLain. As additional injuries occur the Ravens are going to need cap space to fill the spots. I don't know that the Ravens could have fit Boldin in even if they knew Pitta was going to get injured. You can't go into the season right up against the cap unless you start pushing the cap issues out.

I agree with Captain offenses post above in regards to the the AFCG. Talib was locking down Boldin. The offense started having more success when Talib went out injured.

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    At the time of the Boldin trade it was the right thing to do. They anticipated Pitta and Boldin playing the same role in the offense moving forward. Had they known they would lose Pitta for the season they probably don't make that trade. Hindsight is 20/20. I am not sure how much cap savings the Ravens would have gotten had they cut McLain. As additional injuries occur the Ravens are going to need cap space to fill the spots. I don't know that the Ravens could have fit Boldin in even if they knew Pitta was going to get injured. You can't go into the season right up against the cap unless you start pushing the cap issues out.
    Remember that State of the Ravens press conference, when Bisciotti talked about paying players who were ascending in their careers, as opposed to descending? They weren't joking. It is without a doubt the correct policy to have to achieve long-term success. It might mean you lose a productive year or two from some great players, and replace them with lesser talent. This could be the case this year not only with Boldin, but with Reed. But that doesn't make it a bad decision.
    "Chin up, chest out."

There is no hindsight for me or others that didn't want Boldin gone.

We disagreed with it when it happened. This isn't something that just started with Pittas injury.

And I was not upset at all when we let Mason go...we had Boldin (who i always said was redundant with Masons skillset) and had just spent a second round pick on a WR who as a MD an, I was excited and high on obviously.

As far him being overpaid...I disagree again. I know the team felt that way, but it's not like he was in the first or even second tier of WR contracts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Nobody catches these passes in the league. I don't care what anybody says.
    I guess you've never watched Megatron, Julio Jones, Greg Jennings, Roddy White, Andre Johnson, etc play the game?

They were great catches. And yes, he was an important part of this team. But let's not distort history over the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Offense View Post
    I just watched the New England game (AFCCG). If Talib does not get hurt, Boldin is not a factor. Joe threw to him and Talib was there to break up the pass.

He had a goal to win a ring, since he was robbed of one before, and was a man possessed. I loved the guy as a player, but I also do not know the inner workings of the team. I hope they made the right move. He is not the be-all-end-all, IMHO.
    I'm almost positive that had Talib not gotten injured that game, Q wouldn't have been a factor. That was one game where the he was matched up with the opponents best CB and the result was a lot of what we saw when he was playing outside and not going up against Safeties, LB's and 3rd string CB's.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

The absence of Pitta > that of Boldin.
    Jim >> Cammie

Rotating Reed, Doss and DT in with the 1's this summer will help produce balanced options. It's all on #5.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

We need a "I miss Boldin" thread so ranting about him can occur without hijacking other threads. It's obviously some can't let go of it.

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Remember that State of the Ravens press conference, when Bisciotti talked about paying players who were ascending in their careers, as opposed to descending? They weren't joking. It is without a doubt the correct policy to have to achieve long-term success. It might mean you lose a productive year or two from some great players, and replace them with lesser talent. This could be the case this year not only with Boldin, but with Reed. But that doesn't make it a bad decision.
    Exactly. That is what keeps contending teams.... well.... contending. Teams that do the opposite end up like the Raiders and til recently the Redskins.

I was never as broken up about losing Quan as most were. I guess I was expecting it from hearing what he wanted dollar wise and knowing how our FO does business. Whether its one guy or a 2 or even 3 man effort I figure his stats will be duplicated some how and we'll just press on.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Blog Entries

C'mon guys, I can go on with "if's" for days, because it's really a crap shoot guess to say what would have happened if so and so wasn't hurt. It's not like Talib completely shut Boldin down for a half. Talib was in for the first two offensive series seven whole plays. And it went as follows:

First Possession
    Rice Run 2yds
    Rice run 4yds
    Incomplete to Rice

Second Possession
    Leech 17yd reception
    Rice 3yds
    Incomplete to Boldin (good coverage by Talib)
    Incomplete to Boldin short dump to Boldin broken up by Talib.

So it's not like Boldin was completely shut down for a long period of time. He had a whopping two plays one of which was wouldn't have gained anything even if Boldin did catch it.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"