View Poll Results: Who will you blame if the offense still struggles?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Caldwell

1 3.03%
  • Joe Flacco

17 51.52%
  • John Harbaugh

1 3.03%
  • Ozzie Newsome

10 30.30%
  • The O-Line

4 12.12%
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What If It Wasn't Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Easy one: Ozzie, for giving away our best WR, merely to save $2 million
    So if the offense is bad and we have Boldin, it is Cameron's fault.

If the offense is bad and we don't have Boldin it is Ozzie's fault.

Got it.

Blog Entries

There will be times when they struggle, it's coming. The game is about ebb and flow and there will be ups and downs in each game and each season.

Each situation will have to be viewed independently before I'm willing to say who's 'at fault'.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

The difference is that Cam wasn't a bad OC, he was just a bad play caller. He was too extreme and wasn't fluid. If something wasn't working he didn't adapt, he kept trying to push square pegs through round holes. With Caldwell, he is more of a, "What do you see out there?" kinda guy and was able to hide his ego and listen to the people actually playing the game.

No one can answer this poll because we can't see the future.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    So if the offense is bad and we have Boldin, it is Cameron's fault.

If the offense is bad and we don't have Boldin it is Ozzie's fault.

Got it.
    I don't really see any inconsistency with that stance (not that I necessarily fully agree with it). Because in between those two things was: offense was great, no Cam, we win SB, and Boldin contributes mightily.

Quote Originally Posted by dscola31 View Post
    The difference is that Cam wasn't a bad OC, he was just a bad play caller. He was too extreme and wasn't fluid. If something wasn't working he didn't adapt, he kept trying to push square pegs through round holes. With Caldwell, he is more of a, "What do you see out there?" kinda guy and was able to hide his ego and listen to the people actually playing the game.

No one can answer this poll because we can't see the future.
    It's more than just being a bad play caller. He was a bad OC because, unlike GOOD OC's, who take their player's input into consideration, Cameron was an authoritarian "my way or the highway" kind of coach, and those types of coaches tend to have limited success. Even a hard nosed coach like Coughlin talks about the need to know when to be heavy handed and when not to. Cameron did not have that capacity. As such, I would not consider Cameron as a good OC aside from working with raw QBs and getting them acclimated to the NFL. Beyond that, he was horrible.

What if it wasn't Cam? I just spent the last several years blaming him and when he left we immediately got better. Of course it was Cam. This is sort of like wishing for bad luck and knocking on wood. The one thing that will fubar any offense is injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    What if it wasn't Cam? I just spent the last several years blaming him and when he left we immediately got better. Of course it was Cam.
    None of us are going to get an NFL OC job, but we're not clueless either. So when the vast majority of us pick out the same flaws in the offense week after week, year after year, chances are good that we're right, especially when the change we've been begging for triggers an epic championship run.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Every good analyst basically said Cameron was a big issue. I believe cossel said it was like a 60s offense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Every good analyst basically said Cameron was a big issue. I believe cossel said it was like a 60s offense.

That doesn't guarantee that Jim Caldwell won't have his own set of issues that will consistently frustrate fans (IE if we'd have lost the Broncos game every poster would have been calling for his head because of all 1st down runs).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post

That's why I take Cosell with a grain of salt. That was a pretty dumb statement

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I see it as either Cam was misusing Joe or Joe has a tough time making quick decisions. Given the playoff run that Joe had my money is on the former.
    Last edited by GOTA; 07-30-2013 at 03:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    That's why I take Cosell with a grain of salt. That was a pretty dumb statement
    The main point is that cam ran a lot of ISo routes, predictable play calls, little motion. Basically relied on receivers to beat the coverage.

We saw when Caldwell took over that they got back into more hurry up and more 11 personnel and creating mismatches. Like putting Boldin in the slot.