Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Ravens Re-Sign Vonta Leach

Quote Originally Posted by Rxdoxx View Post
    My big question now is..... any guarenteed monies/signing bonus?
    That will give me a decent handle on him making the 53 or him fighting for a spot
    It will also shed light on that second year (dead money).

My curiosity only question is what was the base amount, was it still at 2 mil or lowered and more incentives added....but I can wait for that one
    I really don't think they would have re-signed him, if there was a possibility that they might cut him later.

Given how close they are going to be to the Cap once they have to start counting everyone (Pitta, Jensen, likely to IR, means 2 more players to count), I'm going to assume that the 2nd year was to appease Leach, but more importantly, to spread out the money over 2 years. So, if the reports of a 1-year, $2M offer (with incentives) was correct, my guess is that it's the same amount of money paid this year, but with more as a signing bonus, so as to spread it over the 2 years and lessen the 2013 Cap number.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Thanks, makes sense.

If signing bonus, then (cap hit this year) means that plans are to keep him because his number is lower cap-wise this year and won't save the full number by cutting because next year's bonus will activate now.

Still haven't heard anything yet, but but that was why my first focus was on things like signing bonus (which is in effect a type of guarenteed money).

So if what you are suggesting is true (and I suspect that it is), then I really don't see much of anything short of a contract re-negotiation for someone(S) else if something more happens and we need some decent cap space for a replacement. There can't be much wiggle room left against the final cap numbers approaching, and if we need something like a Willie Anderson one year......
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 27m

Vonta Leach two-year deal: $3.75 million, includes $1.16 million bonus, $840,000, $1.75 million base salaries; $1.47M, $2.3M cap figures

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post

Vonta Leach two-year deal: $3.75 million, includes $1.16 million bonus, $840,000, $1.75 million base salaries; $1.47M, $2.3M cap figures
    Wasn't be supposed to make 4 million this year before we cut him? If so, great job getting him for this year and next year for less total than it would have cost for just this year. What a great front office we have.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post

Come on guys, let's post where it was reported first! ;)

Brian McFarland ‏@RavensSalaryCap 2h Based on public NFLPA records, Vonta Leach has base salaries of $840K ('13) and $1,75M ('14). If accurate, 2103 Cap # appears to be $1.47M.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Come on guys, let's post where it was reported first! ;)

well done!!!

Based on public NFLPA records, Vonta Leach has base salaries of $840K ('13) and $1,75M ('14). If accurate, 2103 Cap # appears to be $1.47M.
    They deferred his cap hit all the way until 2103. Ozzie is a genius! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by callahan09 View Post
    Wasn't be supposed to make 4 million this year before we cut him? If so, great job getting him for this year and next year for less total than it would have cost for just this year. What a great front office we have.
    Yes, we do, but the actual savings isn't that great.

He was set to count $4.334M before being released, but his released only saved them $3M of that, so the $1.334M is still counting.

The charge from the new deal is $1.47M, so that added to the $1.334M means that his total charge is essentially $2.804M.

Comparing that with the $4.334M, then the actual net savings is $1.53M. Still not bad, in the grand scheme of things, but not as big of an amount as it first seems.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Yes, we do, but the actual savings isn't that great.

He was set to count $4.334M before being released, but his released only saved them $3M of that, so the $1.334M is still counting.

The charge from the new deal is $1.47M, so that added to the $1.334M means that his total charge is essentially $2.804M.

Comparing that with the $4.334M, then the actual net savings is $1.53M. Still not bad, in the grand scheme of things, but not as big of an amount as it first seems.
    Thanks for the detail, its much appreciated. I wonder if Pitta's injury had a play in this or if these numbers were on the table all along. Not sure if there is a way to know for certain

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

So if I'm seeing things correctly, cap savings this year is $1.53M with $508,000 shifted to 2014 as dead money if he is not still on the team?
    If so they save about a mil over all and shift 1/2 mil to next year? TIA
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old