You know the man...here's the story of the player named Arthur James Donovan Jr.

It seems just about everyone can quote a story or a line from a story Artie Donovan told about his playing days or his off the field antics, but because he was so approachable and charismatic, it is easy to forget or even realize that he was one of the best defensive tackles to ever play the game.

Donovan proved a big tackle could move and pressure. He was a pioneer at the position, paving the way for highly accomplished successors such as Joe Greene, Bob Lilly, Merlin Olsen, Alan Page, Randy White, Curly Culp, and Warren Sapp – all Hall of Fame defensive tackles.

You know the story of the man. Here's the story of the player!
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

Re: You know the man...here's the story of the player named Arthur James Donovan Jr.

Great piece Tony

Art Donovan wasn't put in the Hall of Fame because he was a great guy. This was a dominant football player. I've heard Bob Lilly say that he wanted to move from DE to DT because he wanted to do what Artie did. I'm sure he wasn't the only player dreaming of that. Donovan was an amazing and innovative talent.

Re: You know the man...here's the story of the player named Arthur James Donovan Jr.

That was a fine tribute by Mr. Backert.

Back in the '50's and '60's Sportswriters were a bit dramatic in their descriptions of our local football heroes. ;)
    My favorite about #70 was reprinted the other day by the Sun. I remember my Dad quoting it.

The Sun described Donovan thusly: "He blocks the passer's view for yards on either side, and he tackles a player like a house collapsing."
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!