Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Re: Tight End Options Going Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    Clark, Shancoe and Heap shouldnt be in any conversations at all Clark is done been done Shancoe couldnt even see playing time on a team that loves their TEs especially when one is always hurt and Heap is simply done. At this point the only hand it may force is bringing in a legit WR with reliable hands to challenge for the slot or #2 spot.
    Disagree about Shancoe and Clark. They had decent numbers their final full seasons and both are in their early 30's. Heap is done for sure.

If you bring in a WR (who at this point?), you almost have bring in Leach if you ever want to be able to run. Do we have the cap space for a decent WR and Leach?

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Um you do know they were signed in the offseason prior to camp.
    So? They were still vet signings.

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    Um you do know they were signed in the offseason prior to camp.
    So what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Mista T-
    IMO, you made some good points, but I do tend to agree with John BK in terms of the "Jamal" analogy. I wanted to add that the offense this year, TE(s) notwithstanding, seems to be on an entirely different frequency from when Gregg whacked Lewis in practice, and the team really did not have a viable "next man up" for the running game. Also, IIRC, that was the season that the O-line had numerous, ahem, deficiencies, and Leon "I hurt my tricep beating on my woman" Searcy was brought out of storage to ostensibly shore up the right tackle slot and make everything suddenly anchored on the blind side. Obviously, that didn't happen.

My point is not to pee on your analogy (actually, this is running through my head! ;)), because it does have some validity in my view. I just think that there are a lot of differences in the overall team picture - the defense is not as geriatric as it was becoming then (Ray's presence/absence notwithstanding), the passing game is more legit and stable, the running game is very stable, the O-line doesn't have the issues it had then (although the LT saga could be a similarity), and some other stuff. I think I agree with the idea that Pitta's injury will impact on the euphoria that has been building around here that the Ravens will coast into a second Super Bowl, but I also agree that the team will be able to persevere in his absence, get to the playoffs, and we'll see what happens.

Of course, this is all just one guy's opinion...:)

I would be surprised if Ozzie doesn't sign a vet TE with pass-catching skills before Friday. The 2 TE sets were to be heavily utilized this year. Bajema isn't a receiving threat at all and Furstenburg hasn't proven anything yet.

To me the Leach thing is a different conversation and has no bearing on this.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

I'd just like to throw out the usual disclaimer that the team is obviously a lot more knowledgeable than me in every aspect of this, and I will always give them the benefit of the doubt given their excellent track record.

Having said that, I think between Dickson, Bajema, Furstenburg, Juice-Check, and Leach - assuming he is re-signed - (and I believe I heard Shiancoe is at camp? I always liked him in MIN) that TE, FB, and any H-Back duties can be covered completely. The bigger issue from losing Pitta is that I was really expecting him to function as sort of a WR/TE hybrid. I would definitely like to see a vet WR brought in to at least compete. If Thompson, Streeter, and Mellette all look like studs and the vet WR is cut, no big deal, but I'd feel comfortable to at least have some insurance in case no one steps up to the plate.

The smart move would be to get a "real" #2 WR who can give you the 60-70 receptions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Austin Collie maybe?

We lost our top 2 receivers from last year. We got #3, Torrey Smith, who is now #1 and will get covered as such. Our new #2 (not including Rice for a moment) is Jacoby Jones, who is not really experienced at this kind of thing, and #3 is Ed Dickson, who a number of people here seem to not like. I like him, but anyway, he and Jacoby have some huge shoes to fill. After Ed we got receivers and tight ends who combined did not catch as many balls as Dickson did-and that is saying something.

I am all for giving the Doss' the Thompson's the Furstenburg's, the Bajema's the Streeter's a chance. And we have the preseason to see if anyone will step up. By all reports no one is. We can later bring in a Daniel Lloyd or similar vet, a vet who doesn't need all of training camp to fit in. For now give the reps to the kids and see what happens.

We also have these two running backs. Rice and Pearce. Both highly rated and one who got big money not two years ago. Jim Caldwell's offenses with Indy were all about a heavy dose of the running game and shots downfield. And that was using a QB, who like Flacco this year, had a state of the art huge contract with the team built around him.

Anyone who things that given this situation that Ray Rice won't be the Ravens leading receiver this year is seriously nuts. Flacco isn't gonna just throw the ball at a covered David Reed and hope he turns into Boldin. No, he's gonna hand off the ball to his RB's a lit-just like he was gonna do anyway cause that's Caldwell's system-throw short passes to Rice, long passes to Torrey and Jacoby, and hope some kid helps Dickson underneath.

Up in New England they are talking about using the running game because they have talent there now. And that was before Hernandez. And that is with a franchise QB. They know that like the Ravens their receiving corps is depleted. They know that they can't just plug in a rookie or scrap heap vet. Expensive QB or no, they have to use the available talent and like the Ravens that means their running backs.

Blog Entries

Kevin Boss is someone I would look at. He had a really good year with the Giants and then went to Oakland And KC, which was a black hole of QB nothingness.

Boss isn't great, but he is a good blocker and a much better receiver than Bajema.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I expect they'll trade a draft pick to nab somebody.

Blog Entries

David Thomas, Jake O'Connell and Randy McMichael are also available.

Nobody really exciting.

Kevin Boss would be th guy I have interest in.

Travis Beckum is also a FA, but who knows if his knee is ok now.

Blog Entries

I wonder if the Seahawks would give up Zach Miller.

That guy was awesome in Oakland and they had not much at QB.