Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Tight End Options Going Forward

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Coupled with the loss of Boldin, this season could quickly go down the shitter unless someone competent & experienced can show up at the TE position. Dickson has shown that he's not an impact player....This is eerily similar to the last time the Ravens tried to repeat as SB Champs. Gave away a great offensive weapon (Priest Holmes), only to see the guy looking to replace him (Jamal) go down for the season in a freak training camp accident. Substitute Boldin for Priest, and Pitta for Jamal.
    I don't think that analogy applies at all. First-off, if "going down the shitter" means making the playoffs - like they did in 2001, where anything can happen, then where do I sign? Second, what hurt about the Jamal injury was that the team did not have viable back-up at running back. Newsome said later that would never be the case again - and it hasn't. With regards to this injury, Dixon is a viable replacement who hasn't really gotten an opportunity as the #1 TE. Personally, I have seen enough of his play to feel confident in giving him a shot. He's in a contract year, so he has every incentive to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    One other thing is for sure: the running game will be front and center this year.
    Flacco is the starting QB of the defending champions and whether you think he's "elite" or not, his job (and Caldwell's) is to seemlessly integrate whoever replaces Pitta into the offense without skipping a beat. That is what Brady, Bree's, and the Manning's do year after year.

Let's just hope the Ravens don't suffer anymore major injuries.

And most importantly, let's hope Pitta makes a full recovery.

BTW...regarding Dallas Clark...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-unsurprising

It's a bleacher report article, but it gives statistical facts to back up why he isn't good anymore.

Also, google "Dallas Clark dropped passes" and a ton of articles regarding his final seasons in Indy pop up.

He's not good

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    BTW...regarding Dallas Clark...

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...s-unsurprising

It's a bleacher report article, but it gives statistical facts to back up why he isn't good anymore.

Also, google "Dallas Clark dropped passes" and a ton of articles regarding his final seasons in Indy pop up.

He's not good.
    I don't think Newsome will make a move right now. I think he will let the pre-season play out for a few weeks to see how Dixon responds and, if necessary, I can see a trade right before the final cut-down for mid-level TE that may be caught up in a numbers situation with another team.

Blog Entries

I agree with the one poster that said bring in a legit # 2 wideout and quit bullshitting with Jacoby as legit reciever whos going to get 60-70 receptions. As far as bringing in a Vet TE whats the point? Clark is done, Shancoe is done, Heap is done they are all done its not like the talent isn't there, so what Furst is an undrafted rookie how many low round to undrafed guys have became core players on this team over the years? Thats what have made the Ravens successful..shit people done forgot who the fuck we have as a GM. Pitts is a big deal no doubt but we still have Dickson who is top flight if he can be consistent with his hands hes unstoppable and the talent is there with Juice and Furst, get a Vet legit vet WR and lets keep it moving or sign Leach

Our #2 TE last year had 21 receptions.

I'm kind of dumbfounded that people are making such a huge deal about replacing those numbers. Siancoe couldn't get on the field for a team that loves to feature TE's with injuries at that spot and Dallas Clark is overrated, old and washed up.

The smart move would be to get a "real" #2 WR who can give you the 60-70 receptions that Pitta would have and stop pretending that Jacoby Jones is a starter (and potentially reducing his snaps at his real talent which is returning kicks).

Maybe check out the trade market, or bring in Brandon Lloyd.

TJ, Stallworth and Lee Evans. How did those veteran wide receivers turn out? There is a reason Brandon Lloyd is available! Joe got 100 million. Time to earn that money.*

Blog Entries

Im not on the loyd bandwagon either defintely not a flashy guy but loyd can ball he was beast in denver and in NE he made some very nice consistent catches but when you have Gronk and hernandez and welker there aint enough ball to go around for a guy like loyd. Not the greatest move but it wouldn't hurt plus he can stretch the field.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    I don't think Newsome will make a move right now. I think he will let the pre-season play out for a few weeks to see how Dixon responds and, if necessary, I can see a trade right before the final cut-down for mid-level TE that may be caught up in a numbers situation with another team.
    If they don't sign shiancoe which looks like they had possible interest in to begin with, then this is definitely the route I think they take if hey sign one at all.

Losing Pitta sucks, but it ain't the end of the world as some would make it out to be.

Injurys happen to teams every year, yet some team still manages to deal with them and win the superbowl.

Look at the injurys we had last year, yet guys managed to step up, and the rest of the story we know.

Aren't many guys on this team whos role can't be filled in some capacity to compensate for their lose, Pitta ain't one of them.

Does losing Pitta make it more difficult to function? Absolutely!!

Does losing Pitta make us one dimensional, predictable and easy to defend to opposing defenses?:hammer:
    Will Die A Ravens Fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by celticrob View Post
    TJ, Stallworth and Lee Evans. How did those veteran wide receivers turn out? There is a reason Brandon Lloyd is available! Joe got 100 million. Time to earn that money.*
    Derrick Mason and Boldin were also veteran WR's.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Not sure why so many are dismissive about the team bringing in a veteran TE. This is more about scheme than replacing production at this point.

With Leach not back (yet) it looked obvious to me we were moving to more of a two TE set in terms of blocking on run situations. If the Ravens are truly moving in that direction, it's almost a lock they go after a vet TE.

Now maybe the injury to Pitta will force their hand and they go back to using a true FB as their main blocking option. But then they'd really need Leach, upping his price tag. You then limit yourself as to your price on a decent free agent WR.

I'm not saying it will definitely be one way or the other. But I have to think this is the discussion right now in Owings Mills.

Blog Entries

Clark, Shancoe and Heap shouldnt be in any conversations at all Clark is done been done Shancoe couldnt even see playing time on a team that loves their TEs especially when one is always hurt and Heap is simply done. At this point the only hand it may force is bringing in a legit WR with reliable hands to challenge for the slot or #2 spot.

Blog Entries

They need to bring in a body to compete and I think they will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Derrick Mason and Boldin were also veteran WR's.

Um you do know they were signed in the offseason prior to camp.