Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Tight End Options Going Forward

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    You can't expect a rookie from Harvard and especially an un-drafted rookie
    from MD to step up big time to take Pitta's place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I am not okay with a couple rookies being relied on to pick up the slack. If we were talking a first or second round guy, okay, but we aren't. There was a reason Furstenburg was undrafted and Juice is coming from Harvard, to expect either to step in and produce at a reasonable #2 level in this offense, this year, is probably asking too much. At least that is how I feel about it.
    Ed Dickson's numbers last year were 21 receptions for 225 yds and 0 TD's. Juice or Furstenburg can easily fill those numbers as the #2 TE (assuming Leach comes back and Juice is at TE). The question is not that, the question is whether Ed can step up and fill Pitta's numbers. Ed has the talent to fill or even exceed those numbers (remember his 2011 numbers) but will he have the dropsies again this year? IMO Ozzie will wait 2-3 weeks and evaluate whether Ed can be that #1 TE this year. If Dickson's hands hold up through practice and the first couple preseason games then I think Ozzie stands pat with Dickson and the rookies. If Dickson has butter fingers again then my guess is Ozzie goes and gets either Clark, Shiancoe, or Kevin Boss.
    Last edited by Cj34; 07-27-2013 at 10:56 PM.

5.3 under the cap now. Might be too expensive to get Leach and another FA unless they come cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Did Kellen Winslow sign with the Jets?
    Yes. One yr deal for 840k.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    5.3 under the cap now. Might be too expensive to get Leach and another FA unless they come cheap.
    I personally think that a passing catching TE with experience is way more important to the Ravens success than Leach now.

Will we get additional cap space when we IR Pitta?

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I personally think that a passing catching TE with experience is way more important to the Ravens success than Leach now.
    Yesterday I wouldn't have said that. Today I agree with you.

Let's get real regarding this fantasy about rookies replacing Pitta. Coupled with the loss of Boldin, this season could quickly go down the shitter unless someone competent & experienced can show up at the TE position. Dickson has shown that he's not an impact player, Bajema is inept, and please, no rookie sensations. Clark or Shiancoe are the only real options.

This is eerily similar to the last time the Ravens tried to repeat as SB Champs. Gave away a great offensive weapon (Priest Holmes), only to see the guy looking to replace him (Jamal) go down for the season in a freak training camp accident. Substitute Boldin for Priest, and Pitta for Jamal. Sucks,
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

We have a #2 TE. His name is Bajema. He'll block and now catch a few passes.He's not grerat but what #3 TE is? But he's easily better than the rookie from Maryland who has little college experience running routes and will be totally out of his depth trying to break a jam in the NFL. Probably we'll get a scrap heap vet TE. I almost think that the team will give a thought to one of the depth OLB's to be an emergency TE before relying on Furstenburg. Won't happen I say but they'll think it.

But right now there's no hurry to sign a Clark or a Lloyd at WR. Give the team a chance to see what the young TE's and WR's do first in practice. Maybe since Shiancoe is already here they sign him for the vet minimum.

But any TE we sign will be backup only. The position is Dickson's now for better or worse and Bajema will be his backup. Let's just hope they don't get hurt too.

The most out of the box idea I can imagine is to seriously think of Ray Rice as a slot receiver, besides RB, since Pitta was gonna be a slot TE anyway.

Blog Entries

Mista T is right about the fantasy statement but Ravens couldn't afford both
    Priest and Jamal. At the time Ravens had trouble moving the chains
    in the red zone with Priest so Billick wanted someone to move the
    pile and got it with Jamal.

Priest didn't become the best until he got to KC and Vermeil changed
    the blocking schemes to fit his slashing running style, something
    Billick didn't do here.

Then as you say Jamal went down first week of camp when Kelly
    Gregg pushed Flynn back into him. Hard KNocks showed Billick
    getting the call that Jamal was out for the year. He said off the
    camera he kicked the dog over the reservoir-lol.

Last week I posted a DeCosta quote that the Boldin cut was the
    big unknown out of all the cuts. Well, it's even bigger now and
    he probably wishes he had him back. There was a lot of talk
    of moving Pitta to the slot, something he wanted to do.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-28-2013 at 12:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Let's get real regarding this fantasy about rookies replacing Pitta. Coupled with the loss of Boldin, this season could quickly go down the shitter unless someone competent & experienced can show up at the TE position. Dickson has shown that he's not an impact player, Bajema is inept, and please, no rookie sensations. Clark or Shiancoe are the only real options.

This is eerily similar to the last time the Ravens tried to repeat as SB Champs. Gave away a great offensive weapon (Priest Holmes), only to see the guy looking to replace him (Jamal) go down for the season in a freak training camp accident. Substitute Boldin for Priest, and Pitta for Jamal. Sucks,
    Good analogy. I'm not seeing any FAs out there that excite me as a possession WR or TE which is what we need. Anyone is more creative offensively than Cam. Caldwell was a hero last year and has Joe, a decent offensive line and good RBs who can catch. I'm not going to dismiss the young WRers or TEs. The defense needs to gel quickly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cj34 View Post
    Ed Dickson's numbers last year were 21 receptions for 225 yds and 0 TD's. Juice or Furstenburg can easily fill those numbers as the #2 TE (assuming Leach comes back and Juice is at TE). The question is not that, the question is whether Ed can step up and fill Pitta's numbers. Ed has the talent to fill or even exceed those numbers (remember his 2011 numbers) but will he have the dropsies again this year? IMO Ozzie will wait 2-3 weeks and evaluate whether Ed can be that #1 TE this year. If Dickson's hands hold up through practice and the first couple preseason games then I think Ozzie stands pat with Dickson and the rookies. If Dickson has butter fingers again then my guess is Ozzie goes and gets either Clark, Shiancoe, or Kevin Boss.
    Not so fast. Dickson did a lot more blocking than catching as Joe went to Pitta butin the SB Dickson had more yardage than Pitta and avg 18 yds per catch to
    Pitta's 6 yds pr catch albeit Pitta's big TD.

http://www.footballdb.com/boxscore/2013020301

The rookies are unknown and Furstenburg is undrafted at that. Pitta and Dickson
    didn't start as rookies when they came in together. Heap was still here and Dickson
    was #2 behind him getting about 152 total yards receiving.

http://www.nfl.com/player/eddickson/497224/profile

Pitta had exactly 1 total yard receiving as rookie. Then he got 405 the second
    year and 669 last year for over 1,000 yards - all of that the last two years.

http://www.nfl.com/player/dennispitta/497254/profile

It's still a fantasy to expect these rookies to step up that big.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-28-2013 at 01:27 AM.