Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Pitta injury

Blog Entries

Re: Pitta injury

It's time for one of the receivers already on the roster to step up. There is a reason they drafted these guys and keep them on the roster.

I hope the Pitta makes a full recovery and the Ravens sign him to a long term agreement. Going to miss the guy this year.

They signed Shiancoe to a one year deal veteran minimum according to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...s-pitta-injury

4. Re: Pitta injury

Flacco and Pitta really had something going on. I imagine it will take a little while for Joe to develop the kind of timing with another receiver that he has with Mr. Pitta. I agree with others that it might be a good idea for the Ravens to pick up a veteran possession type receiver.

More importantly I hope Dennis Pitta recovers fully from what could be a career ending injury. There's another thread where a player was asking for prayers because he didn't read his contract properly and missed out on 2 mil ;). The heck with him, say a prayer for Dennis.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

I would say Pitta was without a doubt our most important receiving weapon for Flacco due to their rapport, mutual trust, and timing/chemistry, not to mention Pitta's reliability and skill on third downs. He will be tough to replace.

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    They signed Shiancoe to a one year deal veteran minimum according to ESPN.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp1...s-pitta-injury
    Well, I guess there really isn't much more they can do. He had his day, back in 09... but that was 4 years ago. He hasn't done anything in a few years. I'm not expecting much.

First, the injury sucks for both Pitta and the Ravens. Everybody wa expecting big things from him this year and i was excited to see what he and Flacco could do under Caldwell. One thing I don't get was where people say now Flacco has lost his best weapon or his safety blanket. He is neither. Torrey Smith has to step into the #1 weapon role and Flacco's safety blanket has always been Ray Rice. Pitta will be missed on 8 to 15 yard routes over the middle and as a big target in the red zone. As others have said, there is not really a free agent pick up right now that solves the problem, though we may find some opportunities on final cut day. For now, Dickson has to step up and the coaches will probabbly have to adjust to the talent they have on the field. Some WR has to see this as a chance to make some money. Maybe one of the rookies will show better than expected. I would like to see Pierce and Rice in the backfield together at times. Its early, no time to panic.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Great QBs like Manning have made stars out of no names for years.
    Huh? You've heard of Marvin Harrison, right? 8-time Pro Bowler, 6th on the all-time receiving yards list? And some guy named Reggie Wayne 6-time Pro Bowler, 10th all-time in receptions?

Of course maybe you are planning to make the argument that these guys only had big stats because they had a Hall of Fame QB throwing to them. But if that's the case, you'll have to take guys like Jerry Rice and Raymond Berry out of the HoF, since they also caught almost all their passes from HoF QB's.

Oh wait. Maybe you were talking about Eli?
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's time for one of the receivers already on the roster to step up. There is a reason they drafted these guys and keep them on the roster.
    Yup. And there's wonderful irony in the idea that Tandon Doss would be the guy to step into the "security blanket" role...since Joe was partially responsible in bringing him here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Yup. And there's wonderful irony in the idea that Tandon Doss would be the guy to step into the "security blanket" role...since Joe was partially responsible in bringing him here.
    The same Tandon Doss who has a total of 7 career receptions over the past two seasons? Or how about David Reed who has 5 total career receptions over the past three years (not to mention the fact that he is built like a potato chip, and can't even sneeze without injuring himself)? Or how about Deonte Thompson with his mighty 5 career receptions last year? This is not to say that one of these guys couldn't step up big this year, but it is unlikely. If The Ravens thought any of these guys could play, they would have found a way to get them the ball to some extent last year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    ... Or how about Deonte Thompson with his mighty 5 career receptions last year?
    Just wanted to comment about DT here. He was a rookie on a team with Boldin, T. Smith, and JJ @ WR, Pitta @ TE, and Rice out of the backfield. He was also an UDFA. The fact that he was targeted 6 times, and caught 5 balls, was pretty good considering his status on a veteran team. In a year or two, if he isn't more productive, then criticize him, but not now... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Huh? You've heard of Marvin Harrison, right? 8-time Pro Bowler, 6th on the all-time receiving yards list? And some guy named Reggie Wayne 6-time Pro Bowler, 10th all-time in receptions?

Of course maybe you are planning to make the argument that these guys only had big stats because they had a Hall of Fame QB throwing to them. But if that's the case, you'll have to take guys like Jerry Rice and Raymond Berry out of the HoF, since they also caught almost all their passes from HoF QB's.

Oh wait. Maybe you were talking about Eli?
    No, I'm talking about guys like 6th rounder Pierre Garcon, 5th rounder Troy Walters, 4th rounder Austin Collie, 4th rounder Brandon Stokely - all guys who flourished under a quarterback who could play and turned those guys into legitimate threats on the football field. If Flacco is a top ten QB, he should be able to make the Ravens' mid-rounders (Doss, Reed) and UDFAs (Thompson, Williams) look good, too.