Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

2013 draft in 2018

I start this from all the dialogue I see on this board in regards to Kyle Juszcyck. many have him as the next Dallas Clark already. Believe me I hope he's great, but people need to pump their brakes a bit. I like to look back on drafts, for instance 2008. For me Zibokowski I thought would be awesome. He turned out to be just ok. In your opinion who turns out to be a great pick, bust or surprise from this years draft

Re: 2013 draft in 2018

I think Brandon Williams is going to end up being one of the best NTs in the league, on par with how Wilfork is thought of.

I think our first five picks are all going to produce, so there isn't a bust in this draft class...I am of the opinion that only early picks can be busts.

Long-term, I think Aaron Mellette is going to be a pleasant surprise. He has the size, strength, and hands to be a quality possession receiver. I've watched every second of tape available on him from Elon (admittedly there is not a ton) and the thing that really jumped out at me on film was how silky smooth he is in and out of his breaks...you don't see that from players his size very often.

Blog Entries

Considering there are potentially four starters and at least one additional contributor (Simon), this could go down as one of the best classes in Ravens history.

Elam, Brown, Williams, and KJ are all legitimate contenders to start.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Matt Elam will fizzle out shortly after his second contract due to injury, but will make some Pro Bowls before he does.

Arthur Brown will also make a Pro Bowl, but won't come on strong until year 2.

Williams will be the best player from this draft. He'll pair up with Ngata for a few years before taking over

Juice will be a fan favorite and Flacco favorite.

Mellette will have a long career with the team, decent.

Simon will leave via FA when his contract is up.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Matt Elam will fizzle out shortly after his second contract due to injury, but will make some Pro Bowls before he does...
    That's OK with me as long as the Ravens claim another Super Bowl victory during his time in Baltimore... Bc

2008 Draft grades
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2008/afcgrades.html
    2008 AFC Draft Grades
    By: Robert Davis

Baltimore Ravens

Best Pick: Ray Rice, RB, Rutgers, Round 2.
    Rice is a quick runner that should give Willis McGahee some more rest over the course of the season.

Worst Pick: Joe Flacco, QB, Delaware, Round 1.
    When Matt Ryan was taken third, the Ravens’ dreams were shattered. They traded down to the bottom of the first, then back up to the middle of the first to take a second round talent to fill a need.

2nd Day Steal: Oniel Cousins, OT, UTEP, Round 3.
    Cousins has a lot of ability and is just beginning to reach his potential. With a little more time he could be a very good starter.

Overall: D. Reaching for Joe Flacco really set the tone of the draft, and that was not a good thing. Flacco was a reach in the top 20, to say the least. They landed some talent in the draft, but the reach and neglecting the offensive line until the third round hurt their grade.

USA TODAY Draft Grade
    GRADE: C

• Baltimore Ravens: Wanted a QB. They suspected Matt Ryan would not fall to them in the eighth spot and could not trade up. So they dropped down and grabbed a recent riser in Joe Flacco. Big arm, but how his skills translate from a smaller college program (Delaware) to the NFL is anyone's guess. Filling this position has been an intractable problem for years. Did not get an OT to replace Jonathan Ogden. Grade is higher if you like trade for CB Fabian Washington, a former No. 1 of Oakland's acquired for a fourth-round pick

Mel Kiper

Baltimore Ravens: GRADE: B
    The Ravens wanted Matt Ryan, but Joe Flacco was the next-best quarterback in this draft. The Ravens made a great deal with the Jacksonville Jaguars that got them three additional picks. They also traded down and still were able to get running back Ray Rice in the second round. The Ravens need to start bringing in young linebackers and Miami's Tavares Gooden had a very good 2007 season. Tom Zbikowski is a good third-round choice, but only if his play resembles what he did in 2006 as opposed to 2007. Oniel Cousins is a versatile offensive lineman and WR Marcus Smith will help on special teams in kick coverage and as a returner. Safety Haruki Nakamura and RB Allen Patrick might have to make this roster by performing on special teams.