Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: PFT Ranks Ravens Number 3

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    Funny how Flacco's demise is directly tied to Boldin. As one poster on PFT put it...
    barbasol11111111 says:Jul 23, 2013 3:04 PM

For the record, Boldin is not some Calvin Johnson-esque guy who will catch anything you throw remotely near him.

He’s a tough, great WR, but the QB must throw him open. He had a lot of problems with press/man coverage and would disappear for long stretches.

He led the Ravens in receptions the same way Derick Mason would, completely unspectacular.

The guy is great and was especially awesome in the playoffs, but Flacco has as much to do with his playoff success as he does. You need a lot of touch and accuracy to put it somewhere to allow him to separate and find the ball.

Hoping Doss can prove to be a good #2/possession receiver, Smith can improve, Jones can stay in the slot, Pitta/Dickson can add versatility, and the unproven/inexperienced guys with crazy measurables (Thompson/Streeter) turn out to be more than just workout freaks.

Cheers.

I didn't have to say it twice for myself. Well put IMO.
    I can't agree with that. While Boldin isn't (and wasn't) Megatron, he made tough, contested catches. Especially down the stretch. Since the playoff run, I've wondered if he didn't have some nagging injury during the third quarter of the season, as his production severely dropped off. But Flacco didn't have to throw Boldin open, especially in the playoffs. When a corner is in position to put his hand on the receiver's chest between the ball and the receiver, the receiver wasn't open, thrown or otherwise. Flacco made great throws where he needed to, and Boldin made great catches.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    I can't agree with that. While Boldin isn't (and wasn't) Megatron, he made tough, contested catches. Especially down the stretch. Since the playoff run, I've wondered if he didn't have some nagging injury during the third quarter of the season, as his production severely dropped off. But Flacco didn't have to throw Boldin open, especially in the playoffs. When a corner is in position to put his hand on the receiver's chest between the ball and the receiver, the receiver wasn't open, thrown or otherwise. Flacco made great throws where he needed to, and Boldin made great catches.
    I don't think you know what "throw him open" means. What you described, where Boldin had a DB on him and Flacco got him the ball by putting it where Boldin could box out and get it, is the definition of throwing someone open and was basically the only way for Joe to get Boldin the ball.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    I don't think you know what "throw him open" means. What you described, where Boldin had a DB on him and Flacco got him the ball by putting it where Boldin could box out and get it, is the definition of throwing someone open and was basically the only way for Joe to get Boldin the ball.
    See I side with bacchys on this one. Boldin made some great catches that Flacco did indeed lay up for him. A lot of the plays I saw in the playoff games were Boldin "making it happen". Not to say that Flacco didn't get him the ball, but some of those passes could have gone the other way. We used to praise Favre for the same thing when the WR made the play, but if the WR didn't make a HELL of an effort, we were left scratching our heads thinking, "he was so covered, why did he throw that ball?"

Boldin was a square peg fitting in a round hole in Cam's offense. His strengths (over the middle) didn't fit in the Cam system. That's why you got a 6 for 115yd with Boldin one game, and then the next game was 2 catches for 30.

Let's just explain our offense as DC/AC. During Cam and After Cam.