Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Top 10 Regular Season wins of the Harbaugh era

Listomania...this got into my head when I was replaying the final game of Texas Stadium in my head. What are your Top 10 REGULAR SEASON wins of the Harbaugh era? Don't count playoffs, because the top 4 would already be taken from this year alone :)

Here's some candidates I'll list

2008 @Cleveland, 37-27, 17 pt 4Q comeback
    2008 @Dallas, 33-24, 2 volleys of TDs between teams close out Texas Stadium, including longest runs in history
    2009 @San Diego, 31-26, sloppy game where SD kept settling for FGs, better known as the "4th Down, Ray Lewis, Game Over" game
    2009 vs Detroit, 48-3, because everyone loves a good old fashioned drubbing :)
    2010 @NYJets, 10-9, ugly game, but "Revenge" against Rex Ryan and featured a MONSTER hit from Ray Lewis on Keller to ice their drive at the end
    2010 vs Cleveland, 24-17, survived a monster game vs Peyton Hillis, 4Q comeback via Flacco-Boldin and Cundiff FG
    2010 @Steelers, 17-14, TJ Housh 4Q TD, followed by Ray Lewis INT of Batch to seal the win
    2010 vs Buffalo, 37-34, Common theme of 2010: Letting opponents back into games. Bills had early lead on SB 2000 celebration day, we got back in the lead, only to watch them come back, and just get a FG in OT to win it
    2010 @Panthers, 37-13, Deceptive score, we were clinging to a 10 pt lead and on the ropes, but a Reed/Landry INT TD, followed by Ray INT TD sealed it
    2010 @Houston, 34-28, We led 28-7 on the opening kickoff of 2nd half, but let Texans back into it, Walkoff INT TD in OT by Josh Wilson
    2010 vs Saints, 30-24, Saints were looked at as one of the "unbeatable" teams by the Ravens, and we executed damn near perfectly against a strong offensive team
    2011 vs Steelers, 35-7, because everyone loves a 1st week shellacking of the Steelers
    2011 vs Cardinals, 30-27, Cardinals jumped out big early, but we battled back and Cundiff FG at the end to win it
    2011 @Steelers, 23-20, The Drive, ending with a TD to Torrey in the closing seconds. I vividly remembering watching that game with a sleeping 9 month old, struggling not to scream and leap around for fear of waking her.
    2011 vs San Fran, 16-6, Harbowl I. Great battle of Titans that foreshadowed what was coming a year later. Defensive struggle, CLASSIC game, also team record for sacks in a game
    2012 vs Cincy, 44-13, because everyone loves a Week 1 shellacking of the Bengals
    2012 vs NE, 31-30, exercising the demons of the 2011 AFC Championship game, Tucker nails a FG to win it at the end
    2012 vs Oakland, 55-13. 55 points. Yeah, that was fun.
    2012 @San Diego, 16-13. 4th and 29
    2012 vs NYGiants, 33-14. Just a perfect execution of a game plan, sign of what was to come in the playoffs.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Re: Top 10 Regular Season wins of the Harbaugh era

My personal list:

1. 2011 @Steelers, 23-20. The Drive, ending with a TD to Torrey in the closing seconds. I vividly remembering watching that game with a sleeping 9 month old, struggling not to scream and leap around for fear of waking her.

2. 2012 vs NYGiants, 33-14. Just a perfect execution of a game plan, sign of what was to come in the playoffs.

3. 2008 @Dallas, 33-24. 2 volleys of TDs between teams close out Texas Stadium, including longest runs in history

4. 2011 vs Steelers, 35-7. because everyone loves a 1st week shellacking of the Steelers

5. 2011 vs San Fran, 16-6. Harbowl I. Great battle of Titans that foreshadowed what was coming a year later. Defensive struggle, CLASSIC game, also team record for sacks in a game

6. 2012 @San Diego, 16-13. 4th and 29

7. 2012 vs Cincy, 44-13. because everyone loves a Week 1 shellacking of the Bengals

8. 2012 vs NE, 31-30. exercising the demons of the 2011 AFC Championship game, Tucker nails a FG to win it at the end

9. 2010 @Steelers, 17-14. TJ Housh 4Q TD, followed by Ray Lewis INT of Batch to seal the win

10. 2009 @San Diego, 31-26. sloppy game where SD kept settling for FGs, better known as the "4th Down, Ray Lewis, Game Over" game
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Blog Entries

Haha. No mention of the game against the Raiders where Flacco threw a 70 yard touchdown, ran for a touchdown, and damn near CAUGHT a 60 yard touchdown until he slipped?

To be honest, I never really understood why the 23-20 win over Pittsburgh in 2011 always gets the nod over the 35-7 win. We've had our share of comeback wins against the Steelers - heck, we did the exact same thing on the road the year. But after all we had to hear during the 2011 offseason about how they "owned" us, and for us to completely destroy them in the manner we did and basically play a perfect game...I don't see how that can't be #1. That was the statement game to end all statement games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    To be honest, I never really understood why the 23-20 win over Pittsburgh in 2011 always gets the nod over the 35-7 win. We've had our share of comeback wins against the Steelers - heck, we did the exact same thing on the road the year. But after all we had to hear during the 2011 offseason about how they "owned" us, and for us to completely destroy them in the manner we did and basically play a perfect game...I don't see how that can't be #1. That was the statement game to end all statement games.
    Maybe a bit of personal bias...The 35-7 game was a classic, because we came out the game and just THRASHED them. But the 23-20 game had a couple of extra points that made it a tougher game:

1. On the road
    2. Completed sweep against Pitt for the year
    3. vs Big Ben - We hate that dumb retort, but since BR played in BOTH games, we could shove it back in their faces
    4. The Drive - There had been constant questions about Joe's ability to take over a game and lead us into victory. This game was further proof that he could. It was even more epic than the 4 play drive the year before in Pitt that ended with the TJ Housh TD. And, there was less time on the clock. He went 93 yards for the win.

I probably should've ranked it above the Dallas game, but I have some personal sentiment around that game, seeing Jerry Jones and countless Cowboys fans dumbfounded that their close out party was ruined.

Blog Entries

2010 @NYJets, 10-9, ugly game, but "Revenge" against Rex Ryan and featured a MONSTER hit from Ray Lewis on Keller to ice their drive at the end
    OHHHHH yaaaaas, the one where #52 turned Dustin Keller into his distant relative Helen...

dustinkellerate, v. (Emphatic tense of decleat.) To hit a receiver so hard that on the succeeding 4th down play he runs out of bounds short of the first down because he can't remember where the marker is or why it matters, he just don't wanna get hit like that again.

Blog Entries

:)
    Ok, I'll give you one absolutely from Harbaugh era :)

November 29th 1998
    Ravens beat Colts 38-31 and Jim Harbaugh hands game ball to Johnny Unitas

(oh, you were talking about the other Harbaugh ;) )
    at one point of my life I was exactly Pi years old

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    There's a significance to beating Pittsburgh in their house.

It is hard to pinpoint one game, but I definitely think the big games in Harbaugh's first year (home opener against Cincinnati, the OT game versus Pittsburgh in week 4, the Redskins game, the Cowboys game)...was some of his best coaching.

It is hard to recall now, but at the beginning of 2008, the Ravens were expected to be bad...actually very bad. It was a veteran team (Samari Rolle, anyone?), with a lot of injuries (McGahee coming off knee surgery), a rookie QB from Delaware, and rah-rah rookie coach with 1 year of coordinating under his belt. This preview predicting a 4-12 record sort of summed up many predictions:

http://deadspin.com/5045835/nfl-seas...ltimore-ravens

All Harbaugh did was to coach this team to within 5 minutes of the Super Bowl.

Scally -- Are you using the phrase "Harbaugh Era" to just mark time or are you asking for wins directly related to Harbs' coaching?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Scally -- Are you using the phrase "Harbaugh Era" to just mark time or are you asking for wins directly related to Harbs' coaching?
    Mark time, although isn't it the same argument? He's been the head coach for the entire period, so you can roughly say he's influenced each of the games?

I'd be interested to see what wins you'd directly attribute to Harbaugh's coaching though.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Mark time, although isn't it the same argument? He's been the head coach for the entire period, so you can roughly say he's influenced each of the games?

I'd be interested to see what wins you'd directly attribute to Harbaugh's coaching though.
    I think, IMO, the more intriguing argument would be what's his best coaching win.

I'd have to give that one some thought though. Been awake for about 36 hours so things are a little foggy. :)

One game though I do believe was a coaching win was the opener in 2011 against the Steelers. Yes, we outplayed them but to get to that point, it was a coaching success.