Page 53 of 88 FirstFirst ... 5152535455 ... LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Re: Training Camp 2013 Thread

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 57m

Tommy Streeter with a pair of dropped passes on consecutive plays in team drills

Post practice fan love now... Webb is walking with a bit of a limp. Can't tell which leg really. Not grimacing at all but does look labored.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 08-05-2013 at 12:14 AM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

FWIW Gino is plenty thick
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 22m

John harbaugh 'ed dickson pulled out with hamstring for precautionary reasons'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 18m

john harbaugh on art jones 'art's having a tremendous camp art's having his best camp'

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 10m

Terrence cody says he's feeling healthy now he disclosed elbow surgery on top of his offseason groin surgery

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 9m

James ihedigbo said his neck injury isn't serious says it won't sideline him for long

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider 25m

Ravens injury update: Ed Dickson has strained hamstring, Ihedigbo has minor neck injury, David Reed tweaked groin:

Pretty nice turnout at the Navy Stadium, maybe even slightly more than last year. Hope they keep it as a TC venue every year.

It was only a single practice, selfishly wanted to see Jones, Doss, or Thompson have a fantastic day and stake their claim for the 2nd or 3rd spot...will just have to wait for some preseason games. I'll definitely keep an eye on the #14 kid Brown with the 3rd or 4th team offense, could hop on bandwagon for PS spot.

Went to the practice.... I am worried about the redzone without Pitta. Dickson and the #2 TE are gonna have to step up.

Just general observation... Doss just doesn't seem like he gets much separation. Maybe slightly better than Boldin, but not much. And when tightly covered, the biggest discrepancy is that he can't body a defender like Q can. If he can't get more adept @ that skillset, than I just can't see him being very useful in the slot. Boldin's hands were overrated by some bc he had quite a few drops, but he did have great body positioning and when he did get a strong grasp on the ball, it was never gonna get poked out by the DB. I think Tandon hands are better in catching balls, but he gets far too many balls knocked out afterwards bc his grasp on the ball isn't that strong. If this is confusing, think of a reception as a two stage process. First is catching the ball and then the second act is secure/grasping the ball so the defender doesnt poke it out. Part of the second act is bodying a defender (like blocking out in bball). Just think of the infamous Lee Evans drop, he 'caught' the ball, but failed to complete the action of securing the catch. The 3rd and inches Boldin reception was textbook. The catch was good but the second part of that play with Q securing the ball from the defenders hand was spectacular. I just don't see Doss being able to secure a pass like that.

I think the Ravens are better served by utilizing the shiftier/speedier/more elusive Thompson in the slot. I think he'll create more separation for Joe. Maybe Doss more in the redzone situations b/c his height creates more of passing window. Seriously I'm at a loss. Consider myself as disappointed in Doss' development. All I know is the Ravens need to draft some more wide receiving weapons that aren't just maybes. We need a first round WR pick that is a bonafide talent. No QB can make chicken salad outta chicken shit. Sure some QBs (Manning/Brady/Brees) are better at making marginal guys into decent receivers (Flacco will get better at this with experience), but if you aren't good, no QB can perform miracles.
    Last edited by ravensnhokies; 08-04-2013 at 09:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesNBirds View Post
    Pretty nice turnout at the Navy Stadium, maybe even slightly more than last year. Hope they keep it as a TC venue every year.

It was only a single practice, selfishly wanted to see Jones, Doss, or Thompson have a fantastic day and stake their claim for the 2nd or 3rd spot...will just have to wait for some preseason games. I'll definitely keep an eye on the #14 kid Brown with the 3rd or 4th team offense, could hop on bandwagon for PS spot.
    Sounds like Thompson was looking great today. From the Sun:

SHOWING HE BELONGS: Thompson has gotten a lot of reps with the first-team offense during camp and worked almost exclusively with the ones on Sunday. He was Flacco's favorite target and he got open in a variety of ways. He was very effective out of the slot, including one play where he ran a skinny post, snatched a pass and moved the chains. On another play, Thompson was lined up on the outside and got behind cornerback Corey Graham, but Flacco overshot him.

Read more: Link

Blog Entries

i was preoccupied with 2 kids during the practice today, but here's a lot of loose thoughts...

Flacco was great, Tyrod was alright...Caleb Hanie has less than zero shot of making the roster. If you took away Tyrod's scrambling, he'd STILL beat Hanie for a spot. God, that guy was terrible looking today.

Not sure if it was due to depth reasons, but I saw a formation today with Anthony Allen split wide. Allen isn't exactly the type of guy I picture burning a CB, wondering if that's something Caldwell will try to do with our offense?

Didn't notice a lot of times Leach/Juice Check were used as a blocking FB...but that could be because I was preoccupied.

WR battle, Deonte did look pretty good. Doss wasn't bad, but is certainly not wowing me. I was sort've hoping he'd have stepped it up by now. WR by committee seems to sound better and better by the day. Also, LQW faces an uphill battle to make the roster, but everytime I see him, he just consistently produces. Marlon Brown is an interesting name, but the number I kept noticing was #18 for some reason. Rashaad Carter. Also, Streeter is just about dead to me.

Furstenburg should make this team, but Bajema and Silvestro make plays too. They won't be Pitta, but could be a minor version of him from what I see.

Wasn't able to pay attention to OL play or D performances much. Chykie Brown had a rough day, but I think that was more a few magnified plays. Also wasn't super impressed with Jimmy Smith today. Got burned terribly by Jacoby Jones on one play, and most of his "stops" seemed to be more poor throws or poor WR play. He did, in Q's terms "jam the (shit)" out of a WR on one play. Moe Lee was called out on the broadcast as I was driving home, Harbaugh said he's made plenty of mistakes, but seems to have a knack for plays much like Omar Brown, and you can't coach that.

Overall, just seemed like the D was a bit ahead of the offense most of practice. Scoreboard said different, but seemed to frustrate the offense on most plays, making an occasional slipup here and there to get behind on the board.

I'm not sure I'd be comfortable seeing Tucker attempt a 55+ FG, but the guy has the leg for it. His short attempts were JUST a hair shy of the crossbar, and that was from 60+
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Adding on to comments about DT.
    He does well creating space over short routes. It looks like his technique is so sharp that DBs don't know if he's going to break at 3, 5, 7 or 10 yards.

@BigPlayReceiver

Thanks for the report from everyone. Deonte is a fascinating guy. UDFA and probably the fastest guy on the team now competing for a big role and could have an edge. I've said it before, I don't care which one of the young guys impress, as long as one of them does.

Many thanks to all for their observations.

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    JJ12 screwed Jimmy into the ground on a post corner.
    Smith's achilles heel still seemingly double moves, remember a few from last year

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    Not sure if it was due to depth reasons, but I saw a formation today with Anthony Allen split wide. Allen isn't exactly the type of guy I picture burning a CB, wondering if that's something Caldwell will try to do with our offense?
    Seem to remember a play late on last year where they sent AA on a wheel route and Flacco targetted him, wonder as you say if Caldwell sees something in him in the passing game... have to try and dig up the gamebook

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag
    Flacco was great, Tyrod was alright...Caleb Hanie has less than zero shot of making the roster. If you took away Tyrod's scrambling, he'd STILL beat Hanie for a spot. God, that guy was terrible looking today.
    Are we talking worse than Curtis Painter bad? Preseason second halves could be ugly...
    Last edited by ctulb; 08-05-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: added question
    "Flacco stepping up and throwing deep down the far sideline... CAUGHT!!! Into the endzone, TOUCHDOWN JACOBY JONES!!!!!"