Page 40 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3839404142 ... LastLast

Re: Training Camp 2013 Thread

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...f-aba0c8ae6c7c

- Kicker Justin Tucker took center stage near the end of practice. Head Coach John Harbaugh had him attempt a 71-yard field goal, and the kick came up just about five yards short. “I was really disappointed with that 71-yard miss,” Harbaugh joked after practice. Before the crazy-long attempt, Tucker drilled a series of 50-plus yard kicks with relative ease. He also booted a 61-yard field goal. Before he made the 61 yarder, Harbaugh called him onto the field and said, “I want to see Tuck make it from here.” Tucker then booted it through the uprights with room to spare.
    - Tight end Ed Dickson had a good day of practice. He made a handful of catches, including an impressive one with safety James Ihedigbo on his back. Dickson flashed strong hands on the play and ripped the ball away from Ihedigbo over the middle of the field. The Ravens are counting on Dickson with Pitta down, and Harbaugh said after practice that he practiced “extremely well.”
    - Williams made an impressive return to the field. He made a number of nice catches in his first practice since last week, and made sure that he’s not getting forgotten in the wide receiver competition.

- Wide receiver Torrey Smith had another good day of practice, and he also showed a little bit of fire. Smith is not one to usually trash talk, but he got into a shoving match with cornerback Chykie Brown after a play during seven-on-seven drills. Joe Flacco liked the fire, and shouted, “Get him Torrey!
    - Rookie tight end Matt Furstenburg had a big play of his own, catching a touchdown pass from quarterback Tyrod Taylor that went for a 70-yard touchdown. The defense had blown coverage on the play, as Furstenburg caught about a 20-yard pass wide open over the middle and then ran the rest of the way for a touchdown. He’s looking to make the most of his opportunities now that there’s an open spot at tight end. “He’s playing himself into a possible opportunity to make the team,” Harbaugh said.

Jason Butt ‏@JasonHButt 3h
    Ed Dickson probably had his best practice of camp today. Caught everything, looked explosive.
    LaQuan Williams had an impressive day, caught just about everything thrown his way.
    Back to Dickson, it definitely looked like they had him in the Pitta role out there today. Again, he had a great practice today.
    http://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/201...uring-practice

Midway through practice, Furstenburg showed why he had the second-fastest 40-yard dash time for a tight end at the NFL combine. On a seam route, Furstenburg was able to get behind the defense and receive a deep touchdown from backup quarterback Tyrod Taylor.

"Matt has really improved from the minicamp," Harbaugh said. "He just didn't play fast in the minicamp. I think it was more mental than anything else. Now, he's learned what he is doing and he's made some plays. It seems like he is getting more confident every single day and he's doing a really good job. He's playing himself into a possible opportunity to make the team."

I'm getting psyched. Balls are flying all over the field from Flacco while he's talking smack, defensive depth is looking strong and players are chippy in tight competitions.

From this point forward I won't be referring to this football team as the Ravens. I'm going to recognize their place in the food chain of the NFL and simply call them "the champs".

Blog Entries

Like I said, as long as Caldwell's calling plays, the line's protecting Flacco and Flacco's throwing passes, with a healthy Torrey Smith eating the double they'll be fine.

I don't know what people expected from Caldwell last year, as far as changing the offensive scheme on the fly.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,7200421.story

GETTING AFTER IT: Third-year wide receiver Torrey Smith rarely raises his voice in practice, so it was pretty surprising that he was involved in the day's lone physical altercation, albeit a minor one. Smith battled with Chykie Brown all practice, and the third-year cornerback clearly got under his skin. Apparently convinced that Brown was holding him on one play, Smith issued a stern warning to the cornerback, followed by a two-handed push. The dialogue continued as safety Michael Huff stepped in front of the two to make sure the situation didn't escalate.

"ORNERY JOE": Flacco has been vocal throughout training camp, but he was in rare form Wednesday, taking on all comers — including those on the offensive side of the ball. The normally mild-mannered quarterback let loose one expletive-laden rant, seemingly in the direction of safety James Ihedigbo. He also got on cornerback Chykie Brown a few times. Smith and Jones also drew the quarterback's ire for quitting on a route and dropping a ball, respectively.

IN GOOD HANDS: For a guy who has been criticized for dropping too many passes in the past, Ed Dickson has been pretty sure-handed in training camp. Dickson may have had his best practice Wednesday, catching pretty much everything thrown in his direction. Dickson may not be able to fully replace the injured Dennis Pitta, but he certainly appears primed for a breakout year.

CATCH OF THE DAY: Third-year wide receiver Tandon Doss continued to build his camp resume with a sterling one-handed grab of a Flacco pass. A couple of plays later, tight end Visanthe Shiancoe nearly pulled off something similar, but he couldn't corral the ball

Blog Entries

Glad to see Tandon making plays.

Still would like to hear about Thompson, Streeter and Mellette.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Flacco doesn't take any shit. Love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Glenn is really high on Deonte Thompson coming into this season. He asked Jason his take on Thompson. “I’m extremely high on him…He might be the fastest player on the roster.” Jason also commented on Thompson’s growth as a player, “The guy is opening up with every practice.”

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2013/0...nd-jason-butt/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

yea i have not heard much about those guys are they just not standing out?
    p.s. add david reed and jacoby jones to that list

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    :word
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    I read that Jacoby has been doing well also and got behind Graham for a bomb. I'm not going to get selfish, I just want one or two to step up for now. Dickson is showing good hands, love that.

I mean it's something

OVERHEARD: "You got no God dang clue back there." — Exasperated defensive coordinator Dean Pees to his secondary after rookie wide receiver Aaron Mellette was left wide open on a long catch.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...#ixzz2ag0WRSN5

Jacoby has been making spectacular catches all camp and every once in a while you'll hear about Reed making some plays across the middle.