Page 12 of 88 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast

Re: Training Camp 2013 Thread

I am in great anticipation to see Deonte Thompson play. I think hes got the tangibles: 6 foot, strong (20 some reps at the combine), has displayed soft hands, and quite possibly the fastest player on the team ran as low as a 4.23 in the 40 yard dash.

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    While I thought it was really great, I wished the Battle of Antietam was shown as well... I always thought Battle of Antietam was a more important battle that changed the tide of the civil war
    Antietam was crucial, no doubt. Provided the Lincoln administration with the cover to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, and kept European powers from recognizing the Confederacy. But maybe not more important than Gettysburg: and anyway this month is the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. There are a ton of events this Summer, commemorating.

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    I am in great anticipation to see Deonte Thompson play. I think hes got the tangibles: 6 foot, strong (20 some reps at the combine), has displayed soft hands, and quite possibly the fastest player on the team ran as low as a 4.23 in the 40 yard dash.
    Yeah I'm excited to see him in the preseason.

Haloti is looking good

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏
    Ravens DE Art Jones looks svelter. He said he's down 15 pounds. He said little bro Chandler's skinnier too: "I beat it out of him."

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Antietam was crucial, no doubt. Provided the Lincoln administration with the cover to issue the Emancipation Proclamation, and kept European powers from recognizing the Confederacy. But maybe not more important than Gettysburg: and anyway this month is the 150th anniversary of the battle of Gettysburg. There are a ton of events this Summer, commemorating.
    Even with General McClellan being a conservative general (he was subsequently fired after that battle), we were able to hold off General Robert Lee. The battle was essentially a draw, which was a blow to General Lee as he had to retreat to Virginia (which General McClellan decided not to pursue..). Had General Lee succeeded the in that battle, there was no doubt that Gettysburg that we know would not have happened.

Moreover, the Confederate soldiers were well-commanded. Rumors had it that British sent their group of special ops to support the Confederacy (I forgot what they were called... would have to look that up)... They were highly trained and was ready to take over Maryland, but McClellan's Maryland troops were able to blunt their efforts.

Obviously, there was a political implication since that Battle. Lee's failure to capture Maryland resulted in British and French publicly decided not to back the Confederacy, which effectively ended their supports of the Confederacy. Lincoln issued the emancipation knowing that British, especially, could not wage a just war against slavery when England outlawed slavery at the time.

Needless to say, there has not been a single battle before or after the Battle or Antietam where more American lives were lost on that single day... to put it into perspective... 23,000 causalities on a single day for that battle... as for Gettysburg... three-day battle... 46,000 causalities.

So, I really think this battle is as important as the Gettysburg, if not... more important than the Gettysburg... That was the battle that lifted the staggering morale of the Union.

On side note, it was said that the battle was not planned... the Union scouts accidentally came across a secret plan, which was wrapped around cigars ... This plan apparently fell off a Confederacy's wagon or something like that ... This plan, was then, given to General McClellan... who decided to meet General Lee's troops in Sharpsburg..
    Last edited by Random Thoughts; 07-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by conviction View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUpurkfool View Post
    Yeah I'm excited to see him in the preseason.
    :word Plus he had a year to learn from the vets and coaches.

I would really like to see David Reed mature, overcome injuries, and become the player the Ravens drafted out of Utah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUaGQrb6mgU

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I would really like to see David Reed mature, overcome injuries, and become the player the Ravens drafted out of Utah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUaGQrb6mgU
    Absofuckinglutely.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Any word on J. Jones taking test and passing today?
    I was thinking they'd wanna have that done so he can be full go tomorrow?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

If Deonte Thompson were the Union general at Antietam, he would have followed up on the win and smashed the Confederates as they tried to cross the Potomac.

Fortunately David Reed's generalship at Vicksburg put the South on the defensive which they never recovered from. Of course LaQuan Williams' laying waste of the Shenandoah valley was icing on the cake. Steeler fans had a long and bitter winter that year.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    Even with General McClellan being a conservative general (he was subsequently fired after that battle), we were able to hold off General Robert Lee. The battle was essentially a draw, which was a blow to General Lee as he had to retreat to Virginia (which General McClellan decided not to pursue..). Had General Lee succeeded the in that battle, there was no doubt that Gettysburg that we know would not have happened.

Moreover, the Confederate soldiers were well-commanded. Rumors had it that British sent their group of special ops to support the Confederacy (I forgot what they were called... would have to look that up)... They were highly trained and was ready to take over Maryland, but McClellan's Maryland troops were able to blunt their efforts.

Obviously, there was a political implication since that Battle. Lee's failure to capture Maryland resulted in British and French publicly decided not to back the Confederacy, which effectively ended their supports of the Confederacy. Lincoln issued the emancipation knowing that British, especially, could not wage a just war against slavery when England outlawed slavery at the time.

Needless to say, there has not been a single battle before or after the Battle or Antietam where more American lives were lost on that single day... to put it into perspective... 23,000 causalities on a single day for that battle... as for Gettysburg... three-day battle... 46,000 causalities.

So, I really think this battle is as important as the Gettysburgh, if not... more important than the Gettysburg... That was the battle that lifted the staggering morale of the Union.

On side note, it was said that the battle was not planned... the Union scouts accidentally came across a secret plan, which was wrapped around cigars ... This plan apparently fell off a Confederacy's wagon or something like that ... This plan, was then, given to General McClellan... who decided to meet General Lee's troops in Sharpsburg..
    Yea, someone dropped Lee's battle plans which fell into McClellan's lap and showed how
    spread out Lee's lines were. McC didn't move fast enough and should have crushed Lee who also had a spy in McCs headquarters who tipped Lee off as he was able to adjust his
    lines after McC hesitated. He greatly exaggerated the number of Lee's troops to almost
    twice as many as were actually there.

The battle is basically a tacticle draw but the last man standing is usually declared the
    winner and that was McC but he was fired for not moving fast enough yet he sent
    Sumner who lost 50%, Hooker who was severally wounded in the food and Sedgewick into Lee's lines losing thousands plus I Corps that lost 50% of it's men. McC sent 6 assaults
    into the Confederate lines and they held.

The final assault came when StoneWall Jackson sent Hill and Hood across Miller's cornfield
    and lost thousands of men from a galling cross fire of 50 union cannons hidden under the trees.

The south made the same mistake again at seminary ridge where Meade's
    cannons were under trees and opened up on Picket's brigade crossing an open
    field and destroying most of the brigade.

When Lee told Pickett to re-assemble his brigade for another attack Pickett said there is
    no brigade. They were destroyed within 16 mins crossing the field and Pickett never spoke to Lee again.

Lee was damn lucky to get his army across the Potomac after Sharpsburgh but
    McC hesitated once again in the same battle. Lee was stopped dead in his tracks in MD and PA - some of the bloodiest fighting in American History. More than twice the Americans died at Antietam deaths than Normandy on D-Day.

It still should have been called a victory for McC who was the last man standing but moving so slow in the beginning and end was the final nail in his coffin and Lincoln
    offed him.

Also of note, Longstreet objected to the Sharpsburgh battle site but Jackson supported
    it. Longstreet also objected to the Gettysburgh site and favored falling back into
    defensive positions because the North had the high ground.

Lee should have listened to him in both battles.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-24-2013 at 10:51 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorebirds_24 View Post
    Any word on J. Jones taking test and passing today?
    I was thinking they'd wanna have that done so he can be full go tomorrow?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    With practice being cancelled, don't think they ran any conditioning tests today. He'll run it tomorrow, Harbaugh expects he'll pass, but says it's up to Jacoby.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!