Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 85868788 LastLast
Results 1,033 to 1,044 of 1056
    Blog Entries

Re: Training Camp 2013 Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I agree. I don't see Wagner as a starter this year. But if he continues to impress and improve, then I think he has a chance to be the LT of the future.
    Absolutely.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

If we get a lead and need to burn some clock let him spell McKinney to try and save him. McKinney isn't a great run blocking anyway.

Heard something on SXMNFL Radio the resonated with me today.

Mellette running with the 1's may not be the great scenario everyone thinks it is or indicative of great practices.

It could also be a "put up or shut up" type situation for him. Pat Kirwin believes that's the case with him, saying he's known many HC's who will put a guy in with the first team as a last straw kind of scenario. He cited the early reports from camp that he wasn't having much success early on, thus the coaches are now justifying the draft pick and throwing him to the wolves. Make or break.

Makes sense but I'm not sure I buy it fully. Just thought it was an interesting perspective. Kirwin believe Mellette will be anywhere from the 5th WR to a practice squad guy this year.

Blog Entries

He could be the 6th WR. We might carry 6 this year. Unless we need to carry a 4th TE like Furst.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Mellette running with the 1's may not be the great scenario everyone thinks it is or indicative of great practices.

It could also be a "put up or shut up" type situation for him. Pat Kirwin believes that's the case with him, saying he's known many HC's who will put a guy in with the first team as a last straw kind of scenario. He cited the early reports from camp that he wasn't having much success early on, thus the coaches are now justifying the draft pick and throwing him to the wolves. Make or break.

Makes sense but I'm not sure I buy it fully. Just thought it was an interesting perspective. Kirwin believe Mellette will be anywhere from the 5th WR to a practice squad guy this year.
    It is a win win.

If he does well - they're geniuses and have a cheap starting caliber receiver for the next 3-4 years.

If he doesn't - he was a 7th rounder and obviously needs development, but they are willing to play guys who do well in practice.

Win win.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    He could be the 6th WR. We might carry 6 this year. Unless we need to carry a 4th TE like Furst.
    I think they will carry 4 TEs and 2 FBs.

Blog Entries

since when do 7th rd picks have to put up or shut up? This logic seems more tailored to high round picks. Not guys selected in the 200s.

Blog Entries

Let's evaluate this, receiver by receiver.

Jacoby Jones has shown what many of us expected him to show. It's the same thing he showed in Houston. That he can't handle the starting role. The team felt obligated to reward him for how well he handled the 3rd WR/KR role. He really exceeded expectations. Now, he has come back down to earth, because the expectations have heightened.

Tandan Doss was a guy that many of us felt would make a strong run at time, as long as he stayed healthy. Well, he's stayed healthy, and they still felt compelled to bring back Stokely. Whereas we're used to Doss being seen for his consistent hands, he has not been consistent this training camp and not as physical as his size would dictate.

Deonte Thompson is the guy who will eventually fill Jacoby Jones' role as the outside WR in three wide sets, once he gets and stays healthy.

Marlon Brown has shown more potential than Tommie Streeter, but Streeter was so far away to begin with, it doesn't mean Brown is ready for this roster. Streeter came out early and it burned him.

What else is there in front of Mellette?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    since when do 7th rd picks have to put up or shut up? This logic seems more tailored to high round picks. Not guys selected in the 200s.
    that was my thought. If a 7th round pick is given a shot with the 1st string it's because the others have not been getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    If the Ravens don't make a trade, I could see Mellette getting some playing time in Week 1. However, I don't see Wagner as the starting LT going into Denver.
    I don't either but no one saw the line shuffle coming that Harbs pulled last year

I'm aligned with the 3 guys above me. I can't see any coach outside of Lombardi or Parcells who would throw a rookie 7th rounder to the wolves...nor is anyone else not wearing #82 doing anything consistently [that I've seen and read].
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I am not buying that. The guy has shown more in the last 2 preseason games than anyone on the roster not named Smith. Granted, it's with the 2nd and 3rd string defenses, but he has shown that he will run the given route and catch the ball. him running with the 1's is because he, more than anyone else has earned it.