Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Best d-line Ravens ever had?

According to Mikie Prestone it could be. It has more speed, size, depth and
    versatility than the championship team.

Yea but better than the SB 35 line of Adams, Goose and McCreary?
    I don't think so.

But they're just getting things together and in sync and as Canty says
    don't worry about the run D and it could become one of the best d-lines Ravens
    ever had.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/r...,253978.column
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-20-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Re: Best d-line Ravens ever had?

Yeah, 2000 is basically impossible to top. As is 2006, for that matter.

Adams, Goose and McCreary were all FAs. Ozzie had a hot hand right out of the chute.

Blog Entries

McCreary and Adams both played in Seattle. Mike was a 7th round draft choice. He signed
    with Ravens and heard Ozzie was looking for another lineman and said that he buddy
    Sam might come here and he did. That's the way I remember it. I think Ozzie wanted
    someone before Mike and he signed somewhere else so he got Mike and Sam. Marchibroda
    brought Goose over from Indy when he was a FA.

During the SB run in OAK Mike hit Gannon and hurt his shoulder and mentioned it in the
    huddle and Goose finished him off. He couldn't throw at all after that. Goose was fined too
    for $10,000 for jumping up and down on the shoulder, an obvious attempt to knock him
    out. Art said he'd pay the fine but I don't know if he ever did as financially strapped as
    he was and sold to Bisciotti.

Goodell probably had a heart attack watching-lol.

Here's the hit. I'm sure Gannon wouldn't agree with Mikie that this line is the best ever
    Ravens line ever.

Take a look. OUCH!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C__R2dGa6qs
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 08-20-2013 at 03:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Yeah, 2000 is basically impossible to top. As is 2006, for that matter.
    That's another SB we should have won but the coach blew it. Man, Ozzie should have about
    4 or 5 more rings that his coaches screwed him out of, damn it. Billick refused to run Jamal in 2d half after Jamal pleaded with him.

Even in 03, Phil Savage said Billick blew the POs with 8 pro bowlers we gave him.

Blog Entries
    This is a different type of Dline built more about speed and explosion. That line was just brute strength and size, I'm not sure how it would fit in today's league. I'll make my decision about this a few weeks into the regular season though.

Blog Entries

That 2000 line was one the best in NFL history. It's dumb to make statements that this could be better.

Blog Entries

Adams and Goose were huge and set the standard. After that teams started getting
    big men but as Billick said, just being big doesn't mean anything. Adams had great
    lateral movement on the line.

Blog Entries

To me, this line is incomparable to 2000. The 2000 DL was a 4-3 line, which has a TOTALLY different function than a 3-4...In a 4-3, the DL is the FOCAL POINT of the front 7. That's where you stop the run, that's where you rush the passer. In the 3-4, your DL needs to protect the inside runs, move the pocket back, but the LBs are the focal point of the defense. The LBs rush the passer, stop the run...

So taking that away, we may not have the best DL, but we have probably the deepest we've seen as a 3-4 line.

Our projected starters are Canty, Ngata, and Jones. Canty and Ngata are stalwart vets, Jones is an up and coming star. Behind them, you have Spears - another solid vet, Brandon Williams - a massive rookie with incredible strength, DeAngelo Tyson - a solid young player, and Cody. Cody has some negatives, but also has a very big physique and if he gets his technique right, would be a huge asset on the line. Another big thing to note is the versatility. Canty, Ngata, Tyson, Spears, Williams all have the ability to play inside or outside. Cody is mainly a NT, Art Jones could play inside, but not sure how effective he is. And this is counting out Pernell McPhee, who is currently trying to make it as an OLB.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I'm with the others that the 2000 and even the 2006 D line will be nearly impossible to top. Given that the line hasn't played a full regular season game together yet, and didn't look that great in the last preseason game, I'll wait a few months before I crown them the best the Ravens ever had. Granted, there is plenty of talent there.

Blog Entries

I don't get people declaring the draft to be one of the best, the defense, now the D line. it's still preseason

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I think the D-Line in 2000 was not only the best the Ravens ever had, but one of the best ever in the NFL. Add in the linebackers and that front 7 in 2000 WAS the best ever in the NFL.

The 2013 D-Line looks good on paper, but we'll see when the games start. They sure didn't look to good last week against Steven Jackson.