Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Team of the Decade

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.
    Exactly.

But apparently looking at this rationally isn't going to fly. Again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Exactly.

But apparently looking at this rationally isn't going to fly. Again.
    Oh yes, it's so irrational to think a team will have a dynasty! I mean, it's not like this topic is about how there's been a dynasty for every decade since the 1950's. And it's so irrational to predict the most successful team of the last half decade wil be the team to do it. What makes it even more irrational is that the team has a quarterback entering his prime, and has finally gotten rid of Cam Cameron.

Though I better clarify that I wasn't really applying the decade constraints too strictly. I mean, the 39ers dynasty extended to 1994. I don't anticipate 5 superbowls this decade, but I do expect 5 in Flacco's career.
    Last edited by PurpleApocalypse37; 07-22-2013 at 10:53 PM.

I think your ideals are a little far fetched purpleapocalypse37. It's great to have high hopes, but holy crap. The NFL is the most competitive league in existence.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And what you fail to understand is the amount of luck that goes into ONE Super Bowl run, let alone multiple runs.
    This.

I know Lombardi was fond of saying, "There's first place, and then everyone else is in last place." But it is truly amazing how many truly great teams for want of a ball bouncing this way, or a play being made, or a call going that way (cough, cough, Seattle/Pittsburgh), are basically forgotten.

Dallas very easily could have been the team of the 60s....the Vikings the team of the 70s and the Bills the team of the 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.

I'm not saying that it proves anyone's point, but this is one of the best narratives that I've ever read 'round here.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

The first thing Harbaugh said when he got here was that he wanted to build a dynasty.

Our near future is very bright and I can see the possibility of a dynasty.

Blog Entries

Why exactly is it so illogical to think that Joe Flacco is going to win 5 Super Bowls? Because it's something that's never been done before? Great logic!

I bet all these "reality police" would've also told Nikola Tesla he was wasting time with electromagnetism and all his other works, since it had never been done or even thought of before.

Just because you guys don't put too much weight on human potential and ambition doesn't mean the people who do are farfetched, illogical, or detached from reality. The notion that something that's never been done before is inherently impossible is possibly the single biggest fallacy I've encountered.

We have a quarterback that is just so hungry and clutch. I guarantee you Flacco plans on winning 5 Super Bowls. Hell, he probably plans on getting 10. And it doesn't hurt that Flacco happens to be just as talented as anyone else who has ever played the position.

Why exactly is it so illogical to think that Joe Flacco is going to win 5 Super Bowls? Because it's something that's never been done before? Great logic!

I bet all these "reality police" would've also told Nikola Tesla he was wasting time with electromagnetism and all his other works, since it had never been done or even thought of before.

Just because you guys don't put too much weight on human potential and ambition doesn't mean the people who do are farfetched, illogical, or detached from reality. The notion that something that's never been done before is inherently impossible is possibly the single biggest fallacy I've encountered.

We have a quarterback that is just so hungry and clutch. I guarantee you Flacco plans on winning 5 Super Bowls. Hell, he probably plans on getting 10. And it doesn't hurt that Flacco happens to be just as talented as anyone else who has ever played the position.
    Nice job completely missing the point

Thanks for all of the contributions. One thought to keep in mind, at the risk of belaboring the obvious, any successful team of the decade cannot look beyond its next upcoming season. Dynasties aren't built with 5-year or 10-year plans of winning multiple championships. Multi-year plans only work for transforming losing teams into perrenial contenders - although it is very, very difficult to accomplish. It requires a solid foundation of smart ownership, smart hiring, knowledge and keen recognition of real NFL players in the making, strong communication/coaching/unity and good business acumen. These are the prerequisites for becoming both contenders and champions.

CC

Actually, yes, that is great logic.

I think Baltimore has as good a chance as any team (and better than most) of winning the Super Bowl in the near future, but more goes into it than just having the best team, and we don't have to look any further than our own team to know that's true.

In 2006, we absolutely had the best team...I thought we were going to dominate our way to the title. Obviously that didn't happen.

Blog Entries

Baltimore has as good a chance or better than any team in the league to be the dynasty team of this decade (though I'd number it from '11-'21). They have a great front office and a great coaching staff. Those are the two most important things in the league in this age of talent parity.

It's not going to take five Super Bowls to do it, though. Two more would be enough to solidify them as the dynasty.