Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Team of the Decade

Why exactly is it so illogical to think that Joe Flacco is going to win 5 Super Bowls? Because it's something that's never been done before? Great logic!

I bet all these "reality police" would've also told Nikola Tesla he was wasting time with electromagnetism and all his other works, since it had never been done or even thought of before.

Just because you guys don't put too much weight on human potential and ambition doesn't mean the people who do are farfetched, illogical, or detached from reality. The notion that something that's never been done before is inherently impossible is possibly the single biggest fallacy I've encountered.

We have a quarterback that is just so hungry and clutch. I guarantee you Flacco plans on winning 5 Super Bowls. Hell, he probably plans on getting 10. And it doesn't hurt that Flacco happens to be just as talented as anyone else who has ever played the position.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Why exactly is it so illogical to think that Joe Flacco is going to win 5 Super Bowls? Because it's something that's never been done before? Great logic!

I bet all these "reality police" would've also told Nikola Tesla he was wasting time with electromagnetism and all his other works, since it had never been done or even thought of before.

Just because you guys don't put too much weight on human potential and ambition doesn't mean the people who do are farfetched, illogical, or detached from reality. The notion that something that's never been done before is inherently impossible is possibly the single biggest fallacy I've encountered.

We have a quarterback that is just so hungry and clutch. I guarantee you Flacco plans on winning 5 Super Bowls. Hell, he probably plans on getting 10. And it doesn't hurt that Flacco happens to be just as talented as anyone else who has ever played the position.
    Nice job completely missing the point
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thanks for all of the contributions. One thought to keep in mind, at the risk of belaboring the obvious, any successful team of the decade cannot look beyond its next upcoming season. Dynasties aren't built with 5-year or 10-year plans of winning multiple championships. Multi-year plans only work for transforming losing teams into perrenial contenders - although it is very, very difficult to accomplish. It requires a solid foundation of smart ownership, smart hiring, knowledge and keen recognition of real NFL players in the making, strong communication/coaching/unity and good business acumen. These are the prerequisites for becoming both contenders and champions.

CC

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Actually, yes, that is great logic.

I think Baltimore has as good a chance as any team (and better than most) of winning the Super Bowl in the near future, but more goes into it than just having the best team, and we don't have to look any further than our own team to know that's true.

In 2006, we absolutely had the best team...I thought we were going to dominate our way to the title. Obviously that didn't happen.

Blog Entries

Baltimore has as good a chance or better than any team in the league to be the dynasty team of this decade (though I'd number it from '11-'21). They have a great front office and a great coaching staff. Those are the two most important things in the league in this age of talent parity.

It's not going to take five Super Bowls to do it, though. Two more would be enough to solidify them as the dynasty.

Blog Entries

Jaguars?
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I think Baltimore has as good a chance as any team (and better than most) of winning the Super Bowl in the near future, but more goes into it than just having the best team, and we don't have to look any further than our own team to know that's true.

In 2006, we absolutely had the best team...I thought we were going to dominate our way to the title. Obviously that didn't happen.
    2006 was the worst. We had 60 sacks (3.75 per) aginst 16 from our opponents. THATS +54!! We had 2.5 takeaways per game and opposing quarterbacks had a 65 passer rating against us. We allowed only 76 yards per game on the ground. I didn't think anything could stop us. That interception on the pass intended for Heap on the goal line still haunts me. God rest his soul, but McNair just ran out of gas and wasn't clutch when it mattered.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Jaguars?
    Nobody would have said "Patriots" back in 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Nobody would have said "Patriots" back in 1999.
    They were in the 97' Super Bowl...

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    2006 was the worst. We had 60 sacks (3.75 per) aginst 16 from our opponents. THATS +54!!
    While I agree with the sentiment, and love the enthusiasm, I'm afraid your math skills are failing you at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    While I agree with the sentiment, and love the enthusiasm, I'm afraid your math skills are failing you at the moment.
    Haha I meant +44, typing on the iPhone can be a bitch.

Blog Entries

+44 in sacks is absolute domination.

We were easily the best team in 2006, and yes, RIP Steve McNair, but he really blew it against the Colts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider Webb View Post
    They were in the 97' Super Bowl...
    And had descended into mediocrity since then.

Actually...

1958 Packers: 1-10-1
    1969 Steelers: 1-13
    1979 49ers: 2-14
    1989 Cowboys: 1-15
    2000 Patriots: 5-11

Maybe it's better to be completely horrible?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    And had descended into mediocrity since then.

Actually...

1958 Packers: 1-10-1
    1969 Steelers: 1-13
    1979 49ers: 2-14
    1989 Cowboys: 1-15
    2000 Patriots: 5-11

Maybe it's better to be completely horrible?
    You can add 2007 Ravens: 5-11