Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    iggyman555 Guest

Re: Team of the Decade

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    Click on my name, look at my started threads, and look at my Bold Predictions thread. I'll wait.
    you sick puppy lol :respect

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    No they aren't.

Don't get me wrong, we'll be in the mix for the next several years, but no one has ever won that many in a decade and we're entering year 3 with one so we'd have to win four of the next seven.

Good dream, but come back to reality man.
    Yeah that is a little nuts. It is cool to have high expectations but there is a fine line between being cute and sounding crazy. We have some of the same blind homerism going on with our fanbase as well. Some say that Rodgers should have 5 rings by time he is done. I think he is the best QB in the league right now, but you have to be somewhat down to earth with your expectations.

Blog Entries

I've seen them, doesn't change the fact that predicting a team to win 4 of 7 Super Bowls is simply ludicrous.
    Yes. 4 of 7 superbowls is simply ludicrous. You know what else is simply ludicrous? An 18-2 TD/INT ratio. Especially considering he had two game-winning touchdowns dropped. And if those passes were caught, the Ravens would've been in the Super Bowl both of those seasons. Now no, don't misunderstand me, I'm NOT saying that the Ravens "should" have three superbowls right now. That would be silly. Obviously, things would've gone different the next season in god knows what way. BUT, you cannot deny that Flacco is making the plays to get to the Super Bowl with astonishing consistency. A consistency not present anywhere else in the league, and of argue a consistency not found since 88-90 with the 49ers.

I understand if 5 is a bit hard to imagine. But definitely 3 or 4. If Flacco keeps playing the way he has been come playoff time, it's almost a certainty he'll win at least 3.

At least you're optimistic.

Wildly optimistic but optimistic still.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    Yeah that is a little nuts. It is cool to have high expectations but there is a fine line between being cute and sounding crazy. We have some of the same blind homerism going on with our fanbase as well. Some say that Rodgers should have 5 rings by time he is done. I think he is the best QB in the league right now, but you have to be somewhat down to earth with your expectations.
    I am almost positive that Flacco and Rodgers will combine for 7 superbowls. (Not in decade, in their careers) I see them both being top 5 quarterbacks of all time, and they're both extremely clutch.

2012: Ravens
    2013: Ravens
    2014: Packers
    2015: 49ers
    2016: Seahawks
    2017: Ravens
    2018: Ravens
    2019: Colts
    2020: Ravens

Oh, hmm. Yeah I don't think the Ravens will win 5 this decade. It will take them until 2020. 4 of 8 is definitely possible.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    At least you're optimistic.

Wildly optimistic but optimistic still.
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.
    Ok.

And what you fail to understand is the amount of luck that goes into ONE Super Bowl run, let alone multiple runs.

Again, pimping individual stats doesn't help your argument. You keep telling us Flacco's numbers as if we've never seen them before.

Are multiple SB titles possible this decade? Yes.

Likely? Not even close. And that's not a knock on the team. It's simply reality.

Houstonraven- You said it perfect. In any given Super Bowl year it is the perfect storm of luck, skill, getting hot at the right time, playing the right opponents, and execution. Savor every moment of right now because it will be twice as hard next year. Everyone plays their best game against the Champs.

Not that you can assess a decade after three years, but I put together a top 10 list for the 2010s based on what teams have accomplished so far. Why not?

1. Green Bay Packers (36-12, 5-2 in playoffs, 2010 SB champions)
    2. Baltimore Ravens (34-14, 6-2 in playoffs, 2012 SB champions)
    3. New York Giants (28-20, 4-0 in playoffs, 2011 SB champions)
    4. New England Patriots (39-9, 2-3 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    5. Atlanta Falcons (36-12, 1-3 in playoffs)
    6. San Francisco 49ers (30-17-1, 3-2 in playoffs 1 SB appearance)
    7. Pittsburgh Steelers (32-16, 2-2 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    8. New Orleans Saints (31-17, 1-2 in playoffs)
    9. Houston Texans (28-20, 2-2 in playoffs)
    10. Chicago Bears (29-19, 1-1 in playoffs)

PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Not that you can assess a decade after three years, but I put together a top 10 list for the 2010s based on what teams have accomplished so far. Why not?

1. Green Bay Packers (36-12, 5-2 in playoffs, 2010 SB champions)
    2. Baltimore Ravens (34-14, 6-2 in playoffs, 2012 SB champions)
    3. New York Giants (28-20, 4-0 in playoffs, 2011 SB champions)
    4. New England Patriots (39-9, 2-3 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    5. Atlanta Falcons (36-12, 1-3 in playoffs)
    6. San Francisco 49ers (30-17-1, 3-2 in playoffs 1 SB appearance)
    7. Pittsburgh Steelers (32-16, 2-2 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    8. New Orleans Saints (31-17, 1-2 in playoffs)
    9. Houston Texans (28-20, 2-2 in playoffs)
    10. Chicago Bears (29-19, 1-1 in playoffs)
    I don't see the logic in Green Bay being higher. How are two regular season games worth more than one playoff game? Especially when you take into account the Packers have been downright DOMINATED in their two playoff losses, while the Ravens have lost at least once because of a dropped game-winning touchdown pass, and likely twice.

Hmm. Now that I think about it, the Ravens Super Bowl win last year instantly pretty much objectively made the Ravens the best team in the league the last half decade. Amazing what a Super Bowl win does.

Blog Entries

PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.

You guys are downplaying that Flacco is playing at a historically high level, so much that its as absurd as my optimism.

Flacco has kept it up 3 years now. Until he goes and has a stinker of a postseason, you can't just act like he's just any ol' golfer who may or may not get a hole in one.

Because I'm assuming you guys realize by now that by saying the Ravens are unlikely to win another Super Bowl in the next decade, you're most likely counting on Flacco's playoff performance to suffer. Because if Flacco keeps playing the way he is in the playoffs, it's almost a statistical certainty that he'll win at least two more superbowls in the next ten years. I think if you looked through the gameboxes of all playoff games, you'll find that when teams' quarterbacks' have a quarterback rating of 102, they have a very good chance of winning. Joe Montana for instance, had a playoff QBR of 95, and he won four Super Bowls.

If Flacco keeps playing at the level he is now, the odds are in the Ravens favor. You know why? Because chances are he'll be outperforming the quarterbacks he's facing... Usually by a considerable margin. Now why's that? Because he's playing at a historical level.

It is tricky because Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees ALSO play very well in the playoffs. But for now at least, the Ravens have better all-around teams. Until that changes, and until Flacco does anything besides play amazing in the playoffs, the Ravens have very favorable chances of winning more superbowls.

That's not blind optimism. It's making predictions based on logic and statistical analysis.

I mean hell, a decade is a long time. Thinking that there's a bad chance of Ravens winning even ONE more Super Bowl is a very amateurish way of probability analysis.

Hell, even if you slated all 32 teams as having an equal chance of winning the Super Bowl in any given year, that would give the Ravens a 31.25% chance of winning another Super Bowl in the next ten years. (Oh god, we're doing math again. Lob, where are you?)

I think it's pretty reasonable to anticipate the Ravens being a top 10 team, based on the past five years. Also, I'd say at least 75% of the time one of the supposed top 10 teams ends up winning the Super Bowl. This means that, based on those values, the Ravens have a 75% chance of winning another Super Bowl in the next decade.

Now, I think the Ravens are the best all-around team in the league and the best quarterback come playoff time. I could provide tons of facts that back up that opinion. It is NOT a crazy opinion. So, from my eyes, the probability percentages goes much, much higher. As it should, if Flacco continues his trajectory.

NOTE:

This is all based on the assumption that things remain relatively stable. Yes, assuming things stay stable is optimistic. But it's equally pessimistic to assume things come crashing down. There's no way of predicting all the different ways things could change. It would be futile to attempt it. I'm basing everything on how things stand, and how things logically could be projected.

Also, remember that there has been a dynasty in every decade of football going back to the 50s. So while theoretically a dynasty is very improbable, in practice it's not farfetched.

And I mainly think Flacco is going to win 5 superbowls in his career. I'm not gun-ho about them all being before midnight on December 31st 2019.
    Last edited by PurpleApocalypse37; 07-22-2013 at 10:44 PM.