Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 50
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Team of the Decade



    At least you're optimistic.

    Wildly optimistic but optimistic still.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  2. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    Yeah that is a little nuts. It is cool to have high expectations but there is a fine line between being cute and sounding crazy. We have some of the same blind homerism going on with our fanbase as well. Some say that Rodgers should have 5 rings by time he is done. I think he is the best QB in the league right now, but you have to be somewhat down to earth with your expectations.
    I am almost positive that Flacco and Rodgers will combine for 7 superbowls. (Not in decade, in their careers) I see them both being top 5 quarterbacks of all time, and they're both extremely clutch.

    2012: Ravens
    2013: Ravens
    2014: Packers
    2015: 49ers
    2016: Seahawks
    2017: Ravens
    2018: Ravens
    2019: Colts
    2020: Ravens

    Oh, hmm. Yeah I don't think the Ravens will win 5 this decade. It will take them until 2020. 4 of 8 is definitely possible.




  3. #18
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    At least you're optimistic.

    Wildly optimistic but optimistic still.
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.




  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.
    Ok.

    And what you fail to understand is the amount of luck that goes into ONE Super Bowl run, let alone multiple runs.

    Again, pimping individual stats doesn't help your argument. You keep telling us Flacco's numbers as if we've never seen them before.

    Are multiple SB titles possible this decade? Yes.

    Likely? Not even close. And that's not a knock on the team. It's simply reality.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #20
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    136

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Houstonraven- You said it perfect. In any given Super Bowl year it is the perfect storm of luck, skill, getting hot at the right time, playing the right opponents, and execution. Savor every moment of right now because it will be twice as hard next year. Everyone plays their best game against the Champs.




  6. #21

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Not that you can assess a decade after three years, but I put together a top 10 list for the 2010s based on what teams have accomplished so far. Why not?

    1. Green Bay Packers (36-12, 5-2 in playoffs, 2010 SB champions)
    2. Baltimore Ravens (34-14, 6-2 in playoffs, 2012 SB champions)
    3. New York Giants (28-20, 4-0 in playoffs, 2011 SB champions)
    4. New England Patriots (39-9, 2-3 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    5. Atlanta Falcons (36-12, 1-3 in playoffs)
    6. San Francisco 49ers (30-17-1, 3-2 in playoffs 1 SB appearance)
    7. Pittsburgh Steelers (32-16, 2-2 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    8. New Orleans Saints (31-17, 1-2 in playoffs)
    9. Houston Texans (28-20, 2-2 in playoffs)
    10. Chicago Bears (29-19, 1-1 in playoffs)




  7. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pikesville
    Posts
    4,268

    Re: Team of the Decade

    PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

    Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

    Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron




  8. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    Not that you can assess a decade after three years, but I put together a top 10 list for the 2010s based on what teams have accomplished so far. Why not?

    1. Green Bay Packers (36-12, 5-2 in playoffs, 2010 SB champions)
    2. Baltimore Ravens (34-14, 6-2 in playoffs, 2012 SB champions)
    3. New York Giants (28-20, 4-0 in playoffs, 2011 SB champions)
    4. New England Patriots (39-9, 2-3 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    5. Atlanta Falcons (36-12, 1-3 in playoffs)
    6. San Francisco 49ers (30-17-1, 3-2 in playoffs 1 SB appearance)
    7. Pittsburgh Steelers (32-16, 2-2 in playoffs, 1 SB appearance)
    8. New Orleans Saints (31-17, 1-2 in playoffs)
    9. Houston Texans (28-20, 2-2 in playoffs)
    10. Chicago Bears (29-19, 1-1 in playoffs)
    I don't see the logic in Green Bay being higher. How are two regular season games worth more than one playoff game? Especially when you take into account the Packers have been downright DOMINATED in their two playoff losses, while the Ravens have lost at least once because of a dropped game-winning touchdown pass, and likely twice.

    Hmm. Now that I think about it, the Ravens Super Bowl win last year instantly pretty much objectively made the Ravens the best team in the league the last half decade. Amazing what a Super Bowl win does.




  9. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

    Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

    Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.

    You guys are downplaying that Flacco is playing at a historically high level, so much that its as absurd as my optimism.

    Flacco has kept it up 3 years now. Until he goes and has a stinker of a postseason, you can't just act like he's just any ol' golfer who may or may not get a hole in one.

    Because I'm assuming you guys realize by now that by saying the Ravens are unlikely to win another Super Bowl in the next decade, you're most likely counting on Flacco's playoff performance to suffer. Because if Flacco keeps playing the way he is in the playoffs, it's almost a statistical certainty that he'll win at least two more superbowls in the next ten years. I think if you looked through the gameboxes of all playoff games, you'll find that when teams' quarterbacks' have a quarterback rating of 102, they have a very good chance of winning. Joe Montana for instance, had a playoff QBR of 95, and he won four Super Bowls.

    If Flacco keeps playing at the level he is now, the odds are in the Ravens favor. You know why? Because chances are he'll be outperforming the quarterbacks he's facing... Usually by a considerable margin. Now why's that? Because he's playing at a historical level.

    It is tricky because Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees ALSO play very well in the playoffs. But for now at least, the Ravens have better all-around teams. Until that changes, and until Flacco does anything besides play amazing in the playoffs, the Ravens have very favorable chances of winning more superbowls.

    That's not blind optimism. It's making predictions based on logic and statistical analysis.

    I mean hell, a decade is a long time. Thinking that there's a bad chance of Ravens winning even ONE more Super Bowl is a very amateurish way of probability analysis.

    Hell, even if you slated all 32 teams as having an equal chance of winning the Super Bowl in any given year, that would give the Ravens a 31.25% chance of winning another Super Bowl in the next ten years. (Oh god, we're doing math again. Lob, where are you?)

    I think it's pretty reasonable to anticipate the Ravens being a top 10 team, based on the past five years. Also, I'd say at least 75% of the time one of the supposed top 10 teams ends up winning the Super Bowl. This means that, based on those values, the Ravens have a 75% chance of winning another Super Bowl in the next decade.

    Now, I think the Ravens are the best all-around team in the league and the best quarterback come playoff time. I could provide tons of facts that back up that opinion. It is NOT a crazy opinion. So, from my eyes, the probability percentages goes much, much higher. As it should, if Flacco continues his trajectory.


    NOTE:

    This is all based on the assumption that things remain relatively stable. Yes, assuming things stay stable is optimistic. But it's equally pessimistic to assume things come crashing down. There's no way of predicting all the different ways things could change. It would be futile to attempt it. I'm basing everything on how things stand, and how things logically could be projected.

    Also, remember that there has been a dynasty in every decade of football going back to the 50s. So while theoretically a dynasty is very improbable, in practice it's not farfetched.

    And I mainly think Flacco is going to win 5 superbowls in his career. I'm not gun-ho about them all being before midnight on December 31st 2019.
    Last edited by PurpleApocalypse37; 07-22-2013 at 10:44 PM.




  10. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    27,500

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    PA, consider this comparison. Plenty of pro and amateur golfers have shot a hole in one in their career. Predicting that a given player on the PGA will have a hole in one at some point isn't crazy. But you're basically saying that Justin Rose is going to have 4 Aces in his next 7 majors.

    Is it possible? Sure. Dude is an amazing young player coming off a Major win.

    Would you be a fool to put money on it? Shit yes.
    Exactly.

    But apparently looking at this rationally isn't going to fly. Again.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  11. #26
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Exactly.

    But apparently looking at this rationally isn't going to fly. Again.
    Oh yes, it's so irrational to think a team will have a dynasty! I mean, it's not like this topic is about how there's been a dynasty for every decade since the 1950's. And it's so irrational to predict the most successful team of the last half decade wil be the team to do it. What makes it even more irrational is that the team has a quarterback entering his prime, and has finally gotten rid of Cam Cameron.

    Though I better clarify that I wasn't really applying the decade constraints too strictly. I mean, the 39ers dynasty extended to 1994. I don't anticipate 5 superbowls this decade, but I do expect 5 in Flacco's career.
    Last edited by PurpleApocalypse37; 07-22-2013 at 10:53 PM.




  12. #27
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    136

    Re: Team of the Decade

    I think your ideals are a little far fetched purpleapocalypse37. It's great to have high hopes, but holy crap. The NFL is the most competitive league in existence.




  13. #28

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And what you fail to understand is the amount of luck that goes into ONE Super Bowl run, let alone multiple runs.
    This.

    I know Lombardi was fond of saying, "There's first place, and then everyone else is in last place." But it is truly amazing how many truly great teams for want of a ball bouncing this way, or a play being made, or a call going that way (cough, cough, Seattle/Pittsburgh), are basically forgotten.

    Dallas very easily could have been the team of the 60s....the Vikings the team of the 70s and the Bills the team of the 90s.




  14. #29

    Re: Team of the Decade

    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleApocalypse37 View Post
    You see, since 2009... I've been screaming for Cam Cameron to be fired. I've KNOWN he's been holding Flacco back. I was amazed that the last two years Flacco still managed to almost get the Ravens to the Super Bowl despite Cam Cameron. Then the Ravens got rid of Cam Cameron. Then when Flacco threw that pick-six... While the broncos defender was running it back, I said "screw Flacco." I threw in the towel. At that moment, I wanted the Ravens to get rid of him. I felt trapped, like the Ravens were never, ever, ever going to win a Super Bowl with Flacco. But then, when I saw him "Flaccoing".. Laying on the turf, I had an epiphany. I realized THIS IS JOE FLACCO's ROCK BOTTOM. He will either crumble, or he will rise from the ashes like the Phoenix. And I just KNEW that he was going to rise up. I had no doubt in my mind. And since then? Since Flacco's rock bottom? He has 15 touchdowns, 0 interceptions, and a 119 QBR. I think that pick-six against Broncos will in 20 years from now be seen as the greatest moment in Baltimore sports history.

    I'm not saying that it proves anyone's point, but this is one of the best narratives that I've ever read 'round here.
    "On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the Draft

    Settle down. John Harbaugh and Joe Flacco's Baltimore Ravens can beat any team, anywhere.

    Having fun talking football and tech stuff on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    2,400
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Team of the Decade

    The first thing Harbaugh said when he got here was that he wanted to build a dynasty.

    Our near future is very bright and I can see the possibility of a dynasty.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland