Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Rodgers or Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    Why doesn't the national sports media talk the same way about the Packers after losing Jennings and Driver as much as they have the Ravens after losing Anquan Boldin?
    Boldin- 65 Receptions, 921 Yards, 4 TD
    Jennings and Driver-44 Receptions, 443 Yards, 6 TD

Not only did Jennings only play in 8 games last year and DD saw the field in just 4, but Boldin doubled their yards, had 33% more receptions, and about the same TD production. DD is one of my all time favorite Packers, but age caught up with him and all the young guys passed him up. Jennings has been banged up the past 2 years. The Packers depth is far more verified than the Ravens at WR, so that is the reason more people think that Rodgers won't miss a beat and it is accurate.

Boldin is a big loss, not saying it is catastrophic, just saying, it is a way bigger loss than a WR that hasn't been relevant since 2009 and a WR that has been injured just as much as healthy in the past two years.

Why does the national sports media hype on the loss of Boldin? Remember that Boldin made his biggest plays on the biggest stage - the postseason including the Super Bowl. That's what is fresh in the minds of all the pundits. Couple that with the widespread perception (outside of Baltimore) that Flacco is just an average QB with a strong arm and a lot of luck, and you have a recipe titled: "The Sky Is Falling for the Ravens without Anquan Boldin". It's not surprising.

Contrast that with Aaron Rodgers, whom nobody on the planet considers merely "lucky", and the loss of Jennings and Driver. As packfntk points out, Jennings and Driver weren't big factors in 2012. And Rodgers is generally acknowledged - and rightfully so - as the best in the business, or awfully damned close.

It's easy to see why the pundits say what they do. Not so easy to understand why it bothers some folks so much. As long as the Ravens win games, the talking heads can say whatever they want.

Blog Entries

Rodgers. The things that separate him are his accuracy, release and his ability to make plays on the run. We have a good one, but Rodgers is in a class by himself.

He said he gets that the reason for Rodgers over Flacco in the media's collective eye is that the two WR's Rodgers lost only played a little bit last year. Nothing more to see here I guess.

5. Re: Rodgers or Flacco?

Rodgers is better than flacco, but i will say this, if flacco plays this whole year like he did in the playoffs i will change my opinion. Flacco is a solid qb with a huge arm but to inconsistant/lack of clutch ability is where i see the difference. What that means to me is that you can put the game in rodgers hands and he will win it for you, flacco normally that is not the case, until last years playoffs. Now hes got a big contract to go along with his ring and he will be expected to continue to play that way and i hope he does, because with a contract like that it makes it harder to keep weapons around you and you have to shoulder more weight.

Blog Entries

One key reason why there truly isn't a debate to be made yet is, because of the offensive systems the two developed in. Aaron Rodgers was developed into a proven West Coast variation, that suited his strengths coming out of Cal. Then, once he became the starter, Driver and Jennings were already established as one of the best WR tandems in the league.

Joe was developed in a system that is ideally supposed to utilize his strengths, but was not under the same quality of offensive mind that Rodgers was. Joe was in a system and philosophy that was so reliant on running the ball, they reacted to every little cry about Rice not getting enough carries. Joe would throw a pick, they'd go back to running it. It was far too risk averse for a QB to put up major numbers. It was not a QB friendly system, from a statistical standpoint.

Now that Joe will have Caldwell for an entire season, I think you are going to see him put up All Pro numbers, especially if his postseason performance is any indication of how well he and Caldwell will work together. By this time next year, this will be an actual debate.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    ??? Are you questioning that there is a difference between Caldwell's offensive philosophy and Cameron's? Even if you think they are similar, a huge difference is in the execution, namely Caldwell seems much better at making in-game adjustments (see Jacksonville 2011 vs 2nd half of this year's AFC Championship game).

To be clear, I think Flacco will do better under Caldwell. But to the point of this thread, Rogers is at another level. I am happy for now to consider Flacco a top-10 QB, considering that in the middle of last season many would have considered him average at best.
    Some people will still defend Cameron and remain in denial that he was the problem here. I doubt that Caldwell will be as stubborn as Cameron and continue to try to force things that don't work. Anyone that thinks that it was just a coincidence that this offense took off once Cameron left cannot be reasoned with anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marshmanfan View Post
    Rodgers is better than flacco, but i will say this, if flacco plays this whole year like he did in the playoffs i will change my opinion. Flacco is a solid qb with a huge arm but to inconsistant/lack of clutch ability is where i see the difference. What that means to me is that you can put the game in rodgers hands and he will win it for you, flacco normally that is not the case, until last years playoffs. Now hes got a big contract to go along with his ring and he will be expected to continue to play that way and i hope he does, because with a contract like that it makes it harder to keep weapons around you and you have to shoulder more weight.
    Flacco's been showing that ability in the playoffs for a few years now. Even during his rookie season, although you could not put the ball in his hands and expect him to score thirty, he led a game winning drive on the road in Nashville in the playoffs, against Tennesee's top three ranked defense. Against Pittsburgh in the playoffs three years ago, Boldin actually dropped the go ahead TD pass and Houshmanzadeh dropped the fourth down throw that was on the money to keep the tying drive alive. Two years ago, Flacco made the throw that would have sent the Ravens to the Super Bowl. Evans let it get stripped out of his hands.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    Some people will still defend Cameron and remain in denial that he was the problem here. I doubt that Caldwell will be as stubborn as Cameron and continue to try to force things that don't work. Anyone that thinks that it was just a coincidence that this offense took off once Cameron left cannot be reasoned with anyway.
    Guess we got to ignore criticism from Colts fans and Wake Forest fans on Caldwell from all those previous years.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    So looking at the last two years from these guys, they were not major contributors. Randall Cobb, Jordy Nelson, James Jones, Jermichael Finley are the main targets...
    what a horrible problem to have... lose a Jennings and still have that depth.

I truly believe some of our youngsters will end up warranting similar feelings as they get a chance to progress instead of being buried on the depth chart. Thats whats great about the system and having a QB that likes to spread it around, they all get action and PT helps the most with progression/confidence. I think going forward with caldwell well see that same mentality with Joe and our O as rodgers and the Packers. Not unlike rodgers, hes still going to look for that bomb pretty regularly.
    -JAB

If Flacco plays like he did in the post season all year, he will have the greatest regular season of all time. His numbers would be: 4460 yards, 44 TD, 0 INT (which will not happen). Despite this being a 117.2 rating and Rodgers in 2011 having a 122.5, it would still be better... About the same number of yards (4643 for Rodgers) and TDs (46 for Rodgers), but Joe with 0 INTs certainly beats Rodgers' 6. No QB has ever had a qualifying season with 0 INTs before!

But like I said, there's no way it happens haha. It would be miles beyond any previous precedent.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    what a horrible problem to have... lose a Jennings and still have that depth.

I truly believe some of our youngsters will end up warranting similar feelings as they get a chance to progress instead of being buried on the depth chart. Thats whats great about the system and having a QB that likes to spread it around, they all get action and PT helps the most with progression/confidence. I think going forward with caldwell well see that same mentality with Joe and our O as rodgers and the Packers. Not unlike rodgers, hes still going to look for that bomb pretty regularly.
    Yeah that is what is great about it. We take knocks for our running game but we keep replenishing this position because we know it is our bread and butter on offense. Continue to supply Rodgers with weapons. Keep the name Charles Johnson in mind. In the next year or two we firmly expect either Nelson or Jones to go away and seek dollars, and he will slide from that 4/5 WR to #3. Really high on this kid.

But you guys have a luxury that we do not. A dominant backfield. That opens up so much for Flacco, more than most people realize. I have seen so many teams bite on the play action and it gives Flacco an opportunity to play a 1v1 deep ball. No team is scared enough of our running game to commit the manpower to defend like that. Our OLine has also been a weakness. We have drafted OL twice in the past 3 years in the top 2 rounds, but like last year we had two 1st round OL on IR. Another attribute to Rodgers.