Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Rodgers or Flacco?

Quote Originally Posted by packfntk View Post
    But you guys have a luxury that we do not. A dominant backfield. That opens up so much for Flacco, more than most people realize. I have seen so many teams bite on the play action and it gives Flacco an opportunity to play a 1v1 deep ball.
    I don't think biting on the play action factors into it. Peyton Manning ran an offense with one of the highest pct of play action in the league, while they actually ran the ball one of the least pct in the league. You do not have to be a successful running team to make play action work. You just have to be able to actually make it look like you may have handed the ball off.

Where the backfield does benefit Joe may be more because of Ray Rice as a receiving threat than as a running threat. We don't face as many 8-9 man boxes as we used to when Jamal Lewis was in town, because they have to respect Joe's deep throwing ability. But other teams do have to commit two LB's or an LB and a S to bracketing Rice on pass plays, because as a checkdown he is deadly -- and that means a lot of single coverage elsewhere.

Of course when your receivers can't consistently beat single coverage, I don't know how much of an advantage that is. Rogers gets so much of his stats from quick slants against single coverage. The Ravens either cannot or do not run those successfully. Color us jealous.
    "Chin up, chest out."

It's hard for me to take seriously any suggestion that Flacco belongs in the same breath as Rodgers. I don't see a way that Rodgers isn't going to go down with the likes of Montana, Unitas, Marino and Manning, assuming he plays another ten years. I also think it's very possible that, once he's finished, he is considered a level above those guys and gets the GOAT title without question.

Flacco's really good. But if Rodgers were playing for the Ravens since he became a starter, the Ravens would have a lot more SB rings. The guy is simply other-worldly.

- C -
    ---------------------------------------------------

www.oblongspheroid.com

A blog about any and everything football.

Twitter: oblong_spheroid

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post
    It's hard for me to take seriously any suggestion that Flacco belongs in the same breath as Rodgers. I don't see a way that Rodgers isn't going to go down with the likes of Montana, Unitas, Marino and Manning, assuming he plays another ten years. I also think it's very possible that, once he's finished, he is considered a level above those guys and gets the GOAT title without question.

Flacco's really good. But if Rodgers were playing for the Ravens since he became a starter, the Ravens would have a lot more SB rings. The guy is simply other-worldly.

- C -
    That's a lot of hyperbole and conjecture right there. I will grant you Rogers is clearly better than Flacco to this point in their careers. Absolutely no question about that.

But "assuming [Rogers] plays another ten years"? That's a pretty bold assumption. How many QB's have been effective at age 40? Favre? Testaverde? I don't know -- Flutie? Moon?

Secondly, given this age of QB numbers, his career will have to be seen in context, much like homerun totals in the past 15 years. And he is not even putting up the best totals in this era -- Drew Brees and Tom Brady are.

Lastly, for him to break the all time records and be talked about as the GOAT, he is going to have to duplicate what he has already done two more times and then some. That is a stretch. Many things are going to have to break right for him. So him even getting into the GOAT discussion is way, way, way, way, premature, and the odds are against it.

Meanwhile, it's pretty easy to envision Flacco getting another ring. Two more seem completely within his grasp, and three more... well, I'm not ruling it out. Assuming his passing numbers continue to trend up, with a few more rings, Flacco will have himself up among the Bradshaw-Namath-Jurgenson-Elway tier, right behind the GOAT group.

So are they equals now? Of course not. Even Ron Jaworski doesn't think so. But is it ridiculous to compare them in the same breath? Not anymore, my friend.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by psuasskicker View Post

- C -
    :word
    Let Flacco get a couple of All Pro nods first. If we had Rodgers with everything else being the same I see no reason we wouldn't be looking at three SB appearances.

After watching Favre for 16 years as a QB for my Packers, I will tell you one thing- It is a PLEASURE to watch Rodgers. His deep ball is pretty, he is as smart a player as they come, and he is more accurate than anything I have ever seen. Dude is cool, calm, and collective no matter what the situation. I think that may be his best quality, he never lets the hype get to him. Flacco seems to have some of that quality as well.

Rodgers is the only QB I'd take over Flacco. He's amazing...athletic, mobile, extremely accurate, good decision making, mechanics, football IQ, still young, strong arm.

Blog Entries

Aaron Rodgers is the smoothest QB in the NFL. Watching him perform that back spin move out of the pocket to get away from defenders is just sick.

He's smoother than Flacco. His short area accuracy is better than Flacco's and he throws on the run better than Flacco.

However, Flacco brings his own qualities that could make this a conversation soon.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'm not sure exactly when it started, but at some point during the 2009 season, I started to really really like Aaron Rodgers. So much so that he became my favorite non-Raven and there wasn't really a close second. I love the way he plays the QB position. He is the prototypical QB and he really began to make up to his full potential during the 2010 playoff run and obviously beyond. Every time I hear the guy talk I like him more. He's a professional with the media, but he's honest. Compare the way he handled the media after that atrocious call from the replacement refs in Seattle to the way the Pats handled the RIGHT call of Tucker's field goal in week 3 and you'll see what I mean. He was honest about how he felt but it was in a way that was professional.

Not only that, but he's also a funny guy, too. I love watching his soundfx stuff almost as much as I like watching ours. As far as QBs in the league right now, I think he's the standard. He's the best one out there. If Joe keeps up what he did in the playoffs during this coming season, it'd still be hard to argue against Rodgers. There should definitely be a conversation, though.

Having said that, Joe is our guy and I wouldn't rather have anyone else because of that. His play during this past run made me happier than I ever have been watching football, so I'll stick with him.

As for the OP, Rodgers' loss of weapons was definitely less than Flacco's. I like Jennings and Driver, but last year, Boldin was much more important than those two combined since they have so many weapons in GB. Joe will be fine. Dickson and Pitta will both be more productive and that combined with Juice will make up for the loss of Boldin.