Blog Entries

The Missing Rings - The 1968 Baltimore Colts

I stumbled across this on the net to bring back some memories, some
    not so hot memories but the pics of the Colts players are golden. Who is the guy
    with no teeth behind Shula and talking to Unitas?

Goodell would throw up at that pic-lol.

Anyone remember Dixie? Good pic of the real Colt. They just don't have stuff like
    that anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6kmT7miDU
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 07-17-2013 at 02:14 AM.

Re: The Missing Rings - The 1968 Baltimore Colts

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I stumbled across this on the net to bring back some memories, some
    not so hot memories but the pics of the Colts players are golden. Who is the guy
    with no teeth behind Shula and talking to Unitas?
    Goodell would throw up at that pic-lol.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yB6kmT7miDU[/url]
    I think it's this guy, Tom Goode
    http://www.pressboxonline.com/story.cfm?id=7084

he's mentioned in the America's Game episode of the 1970 colts; Don McCafferty said he was the best long snapper in football
    Last edited by sailorsam; 08-22-2013 at 08:01 AM.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

Blog Entries

Hey - Thanks man. I remember him now. Just didn't know that toothless pic-lol.

Thanks for the PM.

Good old McCafferty - The Easy Rider.

The 1968 Colts at 13-1 was truly one of the greatest teams in NFL history. Their defense (coached by Chuck Noll) set an NFL record allowing 144 points in a 14-game season. Ironically, their offense was led by Earl Morrall, an unknown journeyman QB who bounced around between several teams (early on, Unitas sustained a season-ending injury). The only NFL team to defeat them was the Cleveland Browns (in Balto.).

When they met the Browns again in Cleveland in the league championship, it was as dominating a win (34-0) as you will ever see in a title game. Remember, the Browns were the only team to beat them in the regular season AND they shut them out on THEIR field when both teams faced elimination. These facts are largely forgotten because two weeks later they lost a contest between two league champions called Super Bowl III.

Keep in mind that the first four Super Bowls (before the AFL-NFL merger of 1970) officially entitled "The AFL-NFL World Championship" were, in fact, exhibition games. The Colts were 17 to 21-point favorites in a game in which they had absolutely nothing to gain and everything to lose (totally opposite of that of the Jets). Accordingly, I had a bad premonition before the game which, of course, came true.

By the way, another overlooked fact about the Baltimore Colts of the late sixty's was the combined regular-season records of the 1967 and 1968 teams: 24-2-2.