Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: Anyone been notified they won the drawing for training camp?

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Huh? If the prior years' pattern repeats, this summer there will be three training camps held in large stadiums, open to all Ravens fans: Baltimore County, Baltimore City, and Annapolis. Total attendance should be around 50,000 - 60,000, with about 60,000 - 70,000 empty seats at Annapolis & Baltimore (the Stevenson site will be a "sell-out"). There should be plenty of room; therefore your "somewhere fans can attend" statement is not correct.

If what you intended was that you preferred the Westminster location to the current three: to each his own. However, while those from the Westminster area may regret losing the proximity to training camp, keep in mind that those of us not from Carroll County had to endure a long drive to visit camp for 15 years.

I like things just the way they are. The football stadiums are comfortable, parking is easy, plenty of restrooms and concessions. Westminster was inadequate -- great pancakes downtown, however!
    Yes, they had 3 "public" sessions, but they were more like public performances instead of a true camp session like they would have if they were in Owings Mills or McDaniel. Also, you cannot get any closer to the players than you can at a regular game. When camp was in Westminster the fans could truly "mingle" with the players or stand literally just a few feet off the practice field. When I was at McDaniel watching camp one day, I heard "Excuse me", from somewhere behind me and it was the kickers/punters/returners that were making their way from their practice field to the main field. I had to move aside to let them all pass. You are NEVER going to get anywhere near that close at any of the current stadium "training camps". It was a way for regular ordinary fans to connect with the players they saw on TV every weekend or watched in the stadium from the upper deck. It was just a real laid back, enjoyable atmosphere that I and MANY other fans miss. While if anyone asked me I would prefer Westminster, it's the atmosphere that is important and they could have it at any local college for that same feeling.

Like I said in my original post, there is also something to be gained for the team as a whole by going to training camp, it leads to team bonding. Just watch Hard Knocks when the Ravens were on for evidence of this. Why do you think so many NFL teams go away from their own facility for camp?

But back to my original question, has anyone heard if they are going to have a lottery to attend training camp at the Castle this year?

Chris
    crowtoo@gmail.com

Blog Entries

Believe me, I was a critic of having camp moved to Owings Mills, given my location just 2 blocks from McDaniel. But the fact is, it makes more football sense to train at their Castle. They have access to all their professional grade equipment (they moved some stuff to McDaniel, which was a pain in the ass, and used McDaniel stuff for the rest...and McDaniel isn't exactly Div 1 facilities), logistically things work better (McDaniel has no indoor facility, so any rain or thunder essentially LOSES them a practice session), and it makes it much more private for working on plays. The new CBA really favors their type of setup now.

Yeah, it sucks to lose that close access. But, it is what it is. I like the stadium practices too. I had the opportunity to go to the Castle last year and it's amazing. But they also are VERY focused on practice, not a lot of close fan interaction there either.

Nothing has been announced, but they usually wait until late June-early July to announce it anyway. Camp doesn't even open until late July. It would be very surprising if they reversed course on this...Bisciotti likes having the fan interactions of both public practices and the lottery.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Huh? If the prior years' pattern repeats, this summer there will be three training camps held in large stadiums, open to all Ravens fans ... (the Stevenson site will be a "sell-out").
    The Stevenson practice was part of the lottery. Only two practices were "open".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    The Stevenson practice was part of the lottery. Only two practices were "open".
    Well yeah. The Stevenson practice though is like 3-5k fans. So there's a much better chance of getting into that vs going to the Castle. But correct, you can't just walk up to that one.

I went to the M&T practice 2 years ago, then went to Navy Stadium last year. I liked the Navy Stadium because I was able to take my kids to the Upper Deck where almost NOBODY was sitting, so we had lots of room to let them run around. You lose the closeness to the field, but you can still see everything going on.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I liked the Navy Stadium because I was able to take my kids to the Upper Deck where almost NOBODY was sitting, so we had lots of room to let them run around. You lose the closeness to the field, but you can still see everything going on.
    We took three vehicles, 1/2 dozen little ones -- all wearing Ravens jerseys. All got to experience a tailgate party without going to a real Ravens game. It was very well produced, particularly aimed at kids, including interaction with Ravens cheerleaders, photos with Rise & Conquer, football tossing. Most of the seats were shaded by the projecting upper deck and lower August Sun.

The only complaint I heard was the usual one regarding too many kids not able to get players' autographs, inadequate controls to mitigate older kids (and even some adults) pushing to get in front to get the autographs. (Westminster seemed better managed in this regard).

btw: if anyone has any suggested improvements to the production of the Annapolis event, please PM me. I will consolidate to get them into the right hands of the City or the NAAA.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

We took three vehicles, 1/2 dozen little ones -- all wearing Ravens jerseys. All got to experience a tailgate party without going to a real Ravens game. It was very well produced, particularly aimed at kids, including interaction with Ravens cheerleaders, photos with Rise & Conquer, football tossing. Most of the seats were shaded by the projecting upper deck and lower August Sun.

The only complaint I heard was the usual one regarding too many kids not able to get players' autographs, inadequate controls to mitigate older kids (and even some adults) pushing to get in front to get the autographs. (Westminster seemed better managed in this regard).

btw: if anyone has any suggested improvements to the production of the Annapolis event, please PM me. I will consolidate to get them into the right hands of the City or the NAAA.
    My experience with the autograph thing...

2 years ago at M&T, it was no restrictions. And it was absolute chaos. I was desperately trying to get one for my 4yo son, and we were practically outcrowded by anyone who could afford to bully their way to the bottom of the stadium. Several people had "runners" going and getting multiple items for them to sign. I did get him one autograph finally, Cecil Newton. Very disappointed

At Navy Stadium, they had roped off the bottom 4-5 rows of seats that would only be opened toward the end of practice, and you HAD to get an armband to get there. Ironically enough, my son who was 5 years old now was denied entry because they said he needed to be 6. My son looks like a 7 year old due to his size, so this just made me laugh, but that was the deal. I didn't stick around for when they opened it, but it seemed like a better organization on the surface.

Ideally, for autographs, they should have kids line up somewhere, then once practice is done or close to it, bring them down on the field so that way everyone is in a nice neat line. This is very similar to how it was done at the Castle practices, kids are "collected", then they have them run down the field as practice wraps up and line up towards the locker room entrance, where the players walk along at various spots and get them. After seeing about the Navy Stadium thing, I "coached him" to say he was 6 so he could get in for that, he got a ball with Torrey, KO, Omar Brown, Leach, and others autographs. They practically filled the ball. THAT is how autographs should be handled, but I don't know how logistically possible that is at a stadium.

Open practice & fireworks night at M&T on 7/28/2014.

Open practice in Annapolis on 8/4/2014.

Lottery for the Castle starts 6/12 @ 10am.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...c-19bf16bafbe7

Nothing for Stevenson so far.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

Info for this year was just released...Couple weird things...

1. Both Navy and M&T stadium practices are MONDAY NIGHTS. 7pm start time, Fireworks after for the M&T one
    2. Looks like no Stevenson lottery this year

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...2&media-type=N

The lottery starts tomorrow

No Stevenson appearance, apparently. With so many Ravens fans in Baltimore County, I'm surprised that there's nothing at the Stevenson or Johnny Unitas facilities.

Now that the Danny Snyder-owned team from Landover has moved its training camp to the "Bon Secours Washington Redskins Training Center", there will be no more scrimmages with that team, so the only two public appearances will be the Monday night practices at Baltimore and Annapolis.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).