Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Another Reason I Will Never Own an Android Phone

Android now has an app that allows it's users to mark the homes of “suspected unsafe gun owners … to help others in the area learn about their geography of risk from gun accidents or violence"

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/07/...es-gun-owners/

Re: Another Reason I Will Never Own an Android Phone

Hmmm...not sure why the "android phone" is the target here.

Blog Entries

I think it's because they are the one who has the app...

So we're faulting Google for providing an open source platform and an open market for development?

Anyone can develop an app and put it up for sale on the andriod market.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wvraven View Post
    So we're faulting Google for providing an open source platform and an open market for development?
    Who said that?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Who said that?
    Google runs Google Play Store formerly called the Android Market.

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Well, I am an iPhone user...and I too will no longer own an Android.

However, my reasoning is purely from a cyber security perspective.

Nearly 93% of all mobile malware impacts Android devices. Here is a great report by some folks I know at F-Secure:
    http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/l...rt_Q1_2013.pdf
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Well, I am an iPhone user...and I too will no longer own an Android.

However, my reasoning is purely from a cyber security perspective.

Nearly 93% of all mobile malware impacts Android devices. Here is a great report by some folks I know at F-Secure:
    http://www.f-secure.com/static/doc/l...rt_Q1_2013.pdf
    Thats the reason I'll never go back to Andriod.

Does anyone actually know someone who has gotten maleware on their smart phone? I don't. So 93% percent of smart phone maleware may be on Android, but I think the interesting number would be to see what percent of all smart phone users have experienced a maleware attack. I can't seem to find anything, only that "attacks have risen 600%", which in actuality means very little if only 1% of smart phones users experienced malware attacks. Also, malware attacks on smart phones are insanely easy to prevent. Don't follow links in text messages from wierd numbers, and don't always have your wifi turned on, and I would guess that pretty much eliminates the chances of your phone being infected.

In any case, this isn't just a matter of android being a vulnerable Operating system:

Of 108 new malicious programs for mobile devices identified in 2012, Symantec found, 103 – more than 95%)- targeted Android devices. Just one mobile threat targeted Apple’s iOS operating system during the same period. If you assumed that was because Android was the operating system with the most exploitable vulnerabilities, you would be wrong. In fact, just the opposite is true. It’s Apple’s iOS that was the source of almost all the documented mobile application vulnerabilities among the mobile platforms Symantec monitored, including Android, iOS, Blackberry, Windows Mobile and the like. iOS accounted for 387 of 415 documented vulnerabilities across all mobile platforms – a bit more than 93 percent, found. How can that be? How does the more secure operating system end up being the target of the lion’s share of attacks and malware? Symantec merely notes that most mobile attacks don’t rely on operating system vulnerabilities, therefore there’s no necessary correlation between attacks and exploitable security vulnerabilities.
    Android as an operating system is just as safe as iOS- actually safer, as the article stated, it has less vulnerabilities than iOS- the issue is Android as an Ecosystem. Too many people are running dated versions of android that are no longer supported, and hence are a playground for hackers. This comes down to the Carriers and their inability to roll out updates to their customers, since they want control over updates. So in actuality, if you are running the latest OS of android, you are actually safer than if you are running iOS. Fortunately Android is open source and if your tech savy enough (which it really isn't difficult, just watch a couple YouTube videos) you can say screw the carriers, and find the latest update for yourself.

http://www.veracode.com/blog/2013/04...-get-attacked/

PS enjoy the new iOS 7, it's flat out terrible.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

I have a co worker that had two Andriods totally shut down on them thanks to Malware.

They don't vet apps woth as much scrutiny as Apple.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have a co worker that had two Andriods totally shut down on them thanks to Malware.

They don't vet apps woth as much scrutiny as Apple.
    Thats what happened to me.