Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Another Reason I Will Never Own an Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    Does anyone actually know someone who has gotten maleware on their smart phone? I don't. So 93% percent of smart phone maleware may be on Android, but I think the interesting number would be to see what percent of all smart phone users have experienced a maleware attack. I can't seem to find anything, only that "attacks have risen 600%", which in actuality means very little if only 1% of smart phones users experienced malware attacks. Also, malware attacks on smart phones are insanely easy to prevent. Don't follow links in text messages from wierd numbers, and don't always have your wifi turned on, and I would guess that pretty much eliminates the chances of your phone being infected.
    Well, unfortunately Sirdowski, I know quite a few who have had their mobile devices compromised. However, I don't believe I am a good one to use for a litmus test as I work in the field of cyber security and I work closely with folks like Symantec, F-Secure, Akamai, etc.

You are right and wrong that malware on smart phones is easy to prevent. In most cases, yes, it is easy to prevent if someone is looking out for that type of thing. However, how many mobile device users in the entire world think about mobile malware? I mean, there is a reason why Nigerian scammers are so successful when it comes to the ridiculous email scams that they send to people (e.g. "Help me transfer this money into your bank account and I'll give you X% of it!"). If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it.

That said, there is a lot of malware out there that can compromise someone's smart phone just from them visiting a website. There isn't anything you can do about someone else's website being compromised with an exploit kit designed to exploit vulnerabilities on a phone (or computer). The only way to figure that out is after the compromise has already happened and even in some cases the malware developers are very sophisticated and are able to run the malware behind other regular processes on the phone so any AV or IDS system may not even catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski
    In any case, this isn't just a matter of android being a vulnerable Operating system:

Android as an operating system is just as safe as iOS- actually safer, as the article stated, it has less vulnerabilities than iOS- the issue is Android as an Ecosystem. Too many people are running dated versions of android that are no longer supported, and hence are a playground for hackers. This comes down to the Carriers and their inability to roll out updates to their customers, since they want control over updates. So in actuality, if you are running the latest OS of android, you are actually safer than if you are running iOS. Fortunately Android is open source and if your tech savy enough (which it really isn't difficult, just watch a couple YouTube videos) you can say screw the carriers, and find the latest update for yourself.

http://www.veracode.com/blog/2013/04...-get-attacked/
    The 93% of all mobile malware impacting Android is a bit misleading in some regards, but the fact is that Android-based platforms are less expensive than a lot of Apple products and (globally) are more popular. Cybercriminals are going to target what the most people have. Even though Apple's OS may be more vulnerable, it is far easier to compromise Android users simply because there is a higher probability of getting to an Android user than an Apple user. That's just economics.

Using third party vendors is probably one of the easiest ways to get popped with a malicious app. So, if you want to watch a couple of YouTube vids and go download some apps from third party vendors that don't adhere to the same security standards that Google Play and/or Apple Store do, then by all means. It's your phone. I wouldn't recommend it though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski
    PS enjoy the new iOS 7, it's flat out terrible.
    Thank you. I will. I just got rid of a Motorola X2. Couldn't stand it. Apple makes a superior product.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I have a co worker that had two Andriods totally shut down on them thanks to Malware.

They don't vet apps woth as much scrutiny as Apple.
    There is some really nasty malware out there and it isn't stuff that only non-tech folks fall for.

In May some malicious hackers exploited the website belonging to Federal News Radio in what we refer to as a "drive by download attack" (sometimes also referred to as a wateringhole...but those are more targeted). All someone had to do was visit the FNR website and they stood a good chance of getting compromised depending on their operating system (Windows) and the browser they were using (Internet Explorer). About a month later (after the PRISM leaks surfaced) another group of hackers did a similar style of attack using an actual PRISM article and posted it on the Washington Free Beacon's website. To make matters worse, Drudge Report (without knowing it) linked to that very PRISM article on the Free Beacon. Now, Free Beacon only averages maybe 1500 website views per day, but Drudge Report is much more.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

This is what I see...

I have a co worker that had two Andriods totally shut down on them thanks to him actively exposing them to Malware.

They don't vet apps woth as much restriction as Apple.

Anyway...the app is a lame tool to gain notoriety for the developer.
    Last edited by wvraven; 07-11-2013 at 08:46 PM.

Playful jabs aside, I never bought into the Apple v. Android debate simply because I can completely understand why someone might prefer one device over another. Some people simply do not need their phone to do some of the things smart phones are capable of. However, I think it's a legitimate point that with Apple you do sacrifice freedom for security, and conversely with Android, sacrifice security for freedom. For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    agreed...especially when i have to consider the price/value aspect...which is always.

Blog Entries

Playful jabs aside, I never bought into the Apple v. Android debate simply because I can completely understand why someone might prefer one device over another. Some people simply do not need their phone to do some of the things smart phones are capable of. However, I think it's a legitimate point that with Apple you do sacrifice freedom for security, and conversely with Android, sacrifice security for freedom. For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    I completely understand your position on the topic.

From a security perspective, I wish most mobile users were as vigilant as you are; it just isn't realistic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wvraven View Post
    agreed...especially when i have to consider the price/value aspect...which is always.
    No doubt. On most Android phones with a 2 year plan from Verizon you can get some sort of a rebate or kickback...not so with the iPhone.

Blog Entries

Z
    i agree, Theyre pretty similar at the end of the day. Although Id say samsung has actually outdone apple recently from a tech standpoint (hence the petty lawsuits between the two). Most of the "ill never own an android again" crowd also seems to be judged from lesser grade phones from my experience, or heavily outdated ones. Problem with android, the OS is available on multiple manufacturers and gets lumped in as one phone. When i hear people say ill never own an iphone again, i know its from apple. Ive had 2 androids (samsung is all ill own) and no issues whatsoever. Ive had family with iphone issues so really its about what you experience.
    -JAB

I don't even own a phone...

But I do have this kick-ass nook color running on android, giving me more (personal) functionality than an iPad for 1/4 of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I completely understand your position on the topic.

From a security perspective, I wish most mobile users were as vigilant as you are; it just isn't realistic.
    Agreed. I do my best to try to inform others about being smart, and for many people I would, and have, recommended an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Z

i agree, Theyre pretty similar at the end of the day. Although Id say samsung has actually outdone apple recently from a tech standpoint (hence the petty lawsuits between the two). Most of the "ill never own an android again" crowd also seems to be judged from lesser grade phones from my experience, or heavily outdated ones. Problem with android, the OS is available on multiple manufacturers and gets lumped in as one phone. When i hear people say ill never own an iphone again, i know its from apple. Ive had 2 androids (samsung is all ill own) and no issues whatsoever. Ive had family with iphone issues so really its about what you experience.
    I've been on the Samsung bandwagon as well. I recently upgraded from the Galaxy S II to the Note II and have been very, very happy with it. Most people dislike Android because it's too much like a computer, but that's exactly what I love, anything I can do on a computer I can do on my phone, especially with the Note II's big screen.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Anyone else notice how territorial some people get about their phone choice?

I've noticed it here and amongst my friends. It's almost an emotional decision by some.

I've noticed it here and amongst my friends. It's almost an emotional decision by some.
    Haha Yup. I'm a loyal Android user and my fiancee loves his iPhone. Try as we might, there's no converting the other! Though we both have kindle fires...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Blog Entries

basically like politics, one way or the other and no grounds to stand in between. two most heated debates i see are politics and phones (maybe LBJ vs MJ is a close 3rd ).
    -JAB