Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Another Reason I Will Never Own an Android Phone

Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    agreed...especially when i have to consider the price/value aspect...which is always.

Blog Entries

Playful jabs aside, I never bought into the Apple v. Android debate simply because I can completely understand why someone might prefer one device over another. Some people simply do not need their phone to do some of the things smart phones are capable of. However, I think it's a legitimate point that with Apple you do sacrifice freedom for security, and conversely with Android, sacrifice security for freedom. For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    I completely understand your position on the topic.

From a security perspective, I wish most mobile users were as vigilant as you are; it just isn't realistic.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wvraven View Post
    agreed...especially when i have to consider the price/value aspect...which is always.
    No doubt. On most Android phones with a 2 year plan from Verizon you can get some sort of a rebate or kickback...not so with the iPhone.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.

Z
    Playful jabs aside, I never bought into the Apple v. Android debate simply because I can completely understand why someone might prefer one device over another. Some people simply do not need their phone to do some of the things smart phones are capable of. However, I think it's a legitimate point that with Apple you do sacrifice freedom for security, and conversely with Android, sacrifice security for freedom. For me, what I am able to do with my phone is worth the small potential risk of getting a virus that a little caution and attentiveness can't prevent.
    i agree, Theyre pretty similar at the end of the day. Although Id say samsung has actually outdone apple recently from a tech standpoint (hence the petty lawsuits between the two). Most of the "ill never own an android again" crowd also seems to be judged from lesser grade phones from my experience, or heavily outdated ones. Problem with android, the OS is available on multiple manufacturers and gets lumped in as one phone. When i hear people say ill never own an iphone again, i know its from apple. Ive had 2 androids (samsung is all ill own) and no issues whatsoever. Ive had family with iphone issues so really its about what you experience.
    -JAB

I don't even own a phone...

But I do have this kick-ass nook color running on android, giving me more (personal) functionality than an iPad for 1/4 of the price.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I completely understand your position on the topic.

From a security perspective, I wish most mobile users were as vigilant as you are; it just isn't realistic.
    Agreed. I do my best to try to inform others about being smart, and for many people I would, and have, recommended an iPhone.

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Z

i agree, Theyre pretty similar at the end of the day. Although Id say samsung has actually outdone apple recently from a tech standpoint (hence the petty lawsuits between the two). Most of the "ill never own an android again" crowd also seems to be judged from lesser grade phones from my experience, or heavily outdated ones. Problem with android, the OS is available on multiple manufacturers and gets lumped in as one phone. When i hear people say ill never own an iphone again, i know its from apple. Ive had 2 androids (samsung is all ill own) and no issues whatsoever. Ive had family with iphone issues so really its about what you experience.
    I've been on the Samsung bandwagon as well. I recently upgraded from the Galaxy S II to the Note II and have been very, very happy with it. Most people dislike Android because it's too much like a computer, but that's exactly what I love, anything I can do on a computer I can do on my phone, especially with the Note II's big screen.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Anyone else notice how territorial some people get about their phone choice?

I've noticed it here and amongst my friends. It's almost an emotional decision by some.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I've noticed it here and amongst my friends. It's almost an emotional decision by some.
    Haha Yup. I'm a loyal Android user and my fiancee loves his iPhone. Try as we might, there's no converting the other! Though we both have kindle fires...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

basically like politics, one way or the other and no grounds to stand in between. two most heated debates i see are politics and phones (maybe LBJ vs MJ is a close 3rd ).
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by I Touchdown There View Post
    Haha Yup. I'm a loyal Android user and my fiancee loves his iPhone. Try as we might, there's no converting the other! Though we both have kindle fires...
    I went from Blackberry to iPhone so I've never actually owned an Android. But I'm not opposed to it.

Just like any consumer product, if I find it to be a good product, I will stick with it until I am dissatisfied.

One of my friends though gives me shit all the time because all of my gadgets have an apple on them. I blame my wife. She got me into Apple.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

I don't own a smartphone. It does not bother me one bit. I am still alive and well. So not owning an Android won't harm anyone. :P

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Android now has an app that allows it's users to mark the homes of “suspected unsafe gun owners … to help others in the area learn about their geography of risk from gun accidents or violence"

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2013/07/...es-gun-owners/
    The apps are not created by the phone companies and if it is on an Android it will be on iphone and Blackberry soon enough.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I have a co worker that had two Andriods totally shut down on them thanks to Malware.

They don't vet apps woth as much scrutiny as Apple.
    What sites and apps were they using?