Page 25 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2324252627 ... LastLast

Re: Jaws' QB Rankings on ESPN

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Forget about where Flacco is for a moment. We just won the Super Bowl, he was the MVP, any overreaction to these two facts can be understood.

How does Matt Ryan get ranked above Drew Brees?

What has Matt Ryan done, besides go to the playoffs in 2012 (in a season where Brees and the Saints were hamstrung by circumstances way outside his control), that could possibly rate him higher than Brees? Brees won the Super Bowl just a few years ago, over Peyton Manning, and has set all sorts of NFL passing records very recently.

What?
    No one forced Brees to throw all those interceptions. Ryan had the better year and this ranking is not just a lifetime achievement award.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    No one forced Brees to throw all those interceptions. Ryan had the better year and this ranking is not just a lifetime achievement award.
    Actually, it is.

Read his criteria. He's ranking a QB's "entire body of work" over multiple seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Forget about where Flacco is for a moment. We just won the Super Bowl, he was the MVP, any overreaction to these two facts can be understood.

How does Matt Ryan get ranked above Drew Brees?

What has Matt Ryan done, besides go to the playoffs in 2012 (in a season where Brees and the Saints were hamstrung by circumstances way outside his control), that could possibly rate him higher than Brees? Brees won the Super Bowl just a few years ago, over Peyton Manning, and has set all sorts of NFL passing records very recently.

What?
    Not saying I agree with Jaws on this one, but he has made it pretty clear that his rankings aren't about what a player has done. I find that somewhat refreshing, since everyone else seems to evaluate based on fantasy rankings. He watches film, and evaluates them on arm strength, decision making, accuracy etc.

But I personally do not think that either Flacco or Ryan are better QB's, right now today, than Drew Brees.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    But I personally do not think that either Flacco or Ryan are better QB's, right now today, than Drew Brees.
    I tend to agree he's easy top 4 imo

Blog Entries

Someone like Jaws is looking at a lot more than just body of work and stats though.

Stats and the fact that Joe just completed arguably the greatest post-season by any NFL QB and topped it off with a Super Bowl MVP trophy will certainly factor into Jaws' ranking factor. However, if you read his synopsis one thing that almost always comes up is whether or not the QB is capable of or currently possesses elite talent (most notably, arm strength).

Jaws firmly believes - and has publicly stated as such - that Flacco has THE STRONGEST arm in the NFL.

That combined with the playoffs, combined with Flacco's durability, combined with his consistency, combined with not having a ton of offensive receiving talent around him, combined with the fact that Flacco just turned 28 years old ABSOLUTELY equates to why Jaws has Flacco ranked in the top 4 QB's of the NFL.

I wouldn't be surprised in the least if he has Flacco at #2 behind Rodgers.

Does anyone think Peyton or Brady could have made some of the throws that Flacco made in the playoffs? In the cold? It is possible, but Flacco clearly has a physical (and age) advantage over Brady and Manning at this stage of their respective careers.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    4 Flacco, 3 Peyton, 2 Brady, 1 Rogers ?

Nothing would surprise me going forward. I used to run into Jaws at the Marriott near Hartford, CT a lot. Next time I see him I am going to thank him for rating Joe so high ;)
    I agree but I would rank Flacco ahead of Brady. Jaws ranking Ryan over Brees is silly.

I'm guessing:

#4 - Brady
    #3 - Flacco
    #2 - Manning
    #1 - Rodgers

Flacco has outplayed Brady just about every time they've played recently. IMHO, Brady is not the Brady of old and Flacco is younger and only starting to hit his stride under Caldwell.

Wicked -- At this point in their careers, no I don't think Manning or Brady can make throws like the Mile High Miracle.

10 years ago? No doubt in my mind they could.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Wicked -- At this point in their careers, no I don't think Manning or Brady can make throws like the Mile High Miracle.

I agree with you.

I am just trying to come at this from the perspective that Jaws doesn't adhere to the old guard way of thinking where Peyton, Brees, and Brady are the best of ever-anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

Peyton probably. But I never thought of Brady having that kind of cannon. Very good arm strength, but not in the Manning Flacco (Cutler, Vick, etc) class.

The thing about that throw that made it work was not the distance, but the altitude. He didn't get it past Moore; he got it OVER him. Even though everyone is blaming Moore's coverage (and rightly so -- it was inexcusable) I think his years of football experience told him he was in a safe position because no ball could be thrown over his head. Could Brady have gotten it there? Sure. Could he have dropped it in like a punt? Doubt it.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Peyton probably. But I never thought of Brady having that kind of cannon. Very good arm strength, but not in the Manning Flacco (Cutler, Vick, etc) class.

The thing about that throw that made it work was not the distance, but the altitude. He didn't get it past Moore; he got it OVER him. Even though everyone is blaming Moore's coverage (and rightly so -- it was inexcusable) I think his years of football experience told him he was in a safe position because no ball could be thrown over his head. Could Brady have gotten it there? Sure. Could he have dropped it in like a punt? Doubt it.
    That and he was on the move.

He didn't even really get to set up properly and drive off his back foot.

Blog Entries

Esp considering JJ looked surprised that it came like that. I don't even think HE was expecting that one.

Manning and Brady are better at quick timing routes since they've worked in systems that stresses those throws. Joe has a deep ball advantage and I don't see the Ravens going away from that. Teams are going to have to stop the Ravens from running, something you don't worry so much with the Packers, Patriots or Denver. That opens up the deep ball as Torrey and Jacoby need to accounted for. In week #1 it would be unwise for the Broncos to try and cover Torrey with Champ isolated on him in man coverage unless they want a repeat of the playoff game. If they double up on the deep routes something is going to open up underneath. I'm probably as excited about Caldwell's offense being implemented as much as anything coming into this season.