Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Voting Rights Act

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Florida has early voting
    Yeah because early voting works great in Florida. Like locking the doors because too many people showed up to early vote on Sunday. Or the last vote in the general election being cast at 1:00 am last year. Yeah they've got no problems in Florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2073119.html
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Yeah because early voting works great in Florida. Like locking the doors because too many people showed up to early vote on Sunday. Or the last vote in the general election being cast at 1:00 am last year. Yeah they've got no problems in Florida.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2073119.html
    Every state has voting issues. No argument from me there.

Florida gets all the attention, IMO, because of 2000.

And I don't see how federal intervention on a states rights issue will fix it. I don't live in FL but it's up to the fine folks in FL to fix their issues, not the federal government and certainly not SCOTUS.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    8 hour long lines are a result of incompetent election planners/officials/workers. That and an inordinate amount of same-day registration (which should be curtailed as much as possible, imo).
    Wouldn't allowing early voting make lines on election day shorter?

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Every state has voting issues. No argument from me there.

Florida gets all the attention, IMO, because of 2000.
    Yeah I don't think anyone is gonna forget 2000 for a long time.

You can bring a horse to water but you can't make them drink.

Providing early voting may not always lead to less people on election day.

Probably somewhat, but the long lines are a result of a slow process not an abnormally large number of voters. The same number of voters at other more well-run, well-planned precincts do not experience anywhere near these delays. Every precinct knows ahead of time what kind of turnout they could potentially face (the number of residents in their precinct is not unlimited and is generally known).

And early voting has some drawbacks. For one, it costs money. Two, it allows people to vote with less than full information (many states allow voting before the debates, for example). And close-to-Election Day early voting opens up the potential for people to vote twice as voter rolls (for Election Day) cannot be updated in the short time between the end of early voting and Election Day. Also, early voting results can discourage voters if they conclude their vote "doesn't matter" due to lopsided margin or perceived settled outcome. On this point, I don't think there has been any evidence that extended early voting increases turnout (in fact, I have seen a couple of studies showing it slightly decreases turnout).

As for people that cannot get off of work or are too ill or disabled to get to the polls on Election Day, I believe every state in the Union allows mailed absentee ballots to be used in these instances (a form of early voting).

At some point, the voter should be required to put in some minimal effort in terms of casting their vote. Making sure you are registered, and planning for an event that occurs about every 2 years (every 4 years for a lot of voters), is not a lot to ask, imo. At least it didn't used to be. Same goes for the election planners/officials.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 07-02-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Probably somewhat, but the long lines are a result of a slow process not an abnormally large number of voters. The same number of voters at other more well-run, well-planned precincts do not experience anywhere near these delays. Every precinct knows ahead of time what kind of turnout they could potentially face (the number of residents in their precinct is not unlimited and is generally known).

And early voting has some drawbacks. For one, it costs money. Two, it allows people to vote with less than full information (many states allow voting before the debates, for example). And close-to-Election Day early voting opens up the potential for people to vote twice as voter rolls (for Election Day) cannot be updated in the short time between the end of early voting and Election Day. Also, early voting results can discourage voters if they conclude their vote "doesn't matter" due to lopsided margin or perceived settled outcome. On this point, I don't think there has been any evidence that extended early voting increases turnout (in fact, I have seen a couple of studies showing it slightly decreases turnout).

As for people that cannot get off of work or are too ill or disabled to get to the polls on Election Day, I believe every state in the Union allows mailed absentee ballots to be used in these instances (a form of early voting).

At some point, the voter should be required to put in some minimal effort in terms of casting their vote. Making sure you are registered, and planning for an event that occurs about every 2 years (every 4 years for a lot of voters), is not a lot to ask, imo. At least it didn't used to be. Same goes for the election planners/officials.
    Very good post Haloti92!

Might take me awhile to respond with a rebuttal, if I can at all. Can't really argue with any point you made.

Do you have a link to the study that showes early voting would decrease turnout? I'm interested in reading it.

Very good post Haloti92!

Might take me awhile to respond with a rebuttal, if I can at all. Can't really argue with any point you made.

Do you have a link to the study that showes early voting would decrease turnout? I'm interested in reading it.
    Looking for some. Here is a link that speaks of a study (though the link to the study itself seems to be fubared). Also on this link (at the bottom) is a link to the state of Wisconsin's anaylsis of early voting in 2008. It contains a lot of the issues/challenges that occur when trying to implement extended early voting, including the very problematic same-day registration that is allowed in some states.

http://www.news.wisc.edu/17372

I'll look for more. And I am not even sure I agree, but I also cannot find any studies that say it increases. It might be a wash, or certainly isn't a situation where the effect is clear.

Another link discussing that same study, I still haven't found a working to link to the actual full study though.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/25/op...anted=all&_r=0