Page 21 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1920212223 ... LastLast

Re: George Zimmerman Trial

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Fight or confrontation? They can mean different things or the same thing depending on the person.

This is why I mentioned that Martin had time to go home and did not. That indicates he welcomed a confrontation. As for the 'fight,' i.e. fisticuffs. There is no evidence Zimmerman started it at all. There is no evidence Zimmerman even wanted a confrontation, unlike Martin, only that he wanted to keep his eyes on where Martin was until the cops came.
    How does that indicate Martin wanted a confrontation? Maybe he was nervous and a little scared (being a kid and all) and didn't want to lead this unknown man who was following him to his house. What evidence is there Martin wanted a fight?

In short, there is no evidence that things did not happen almost exactly as Zimmerman claims. And since the prosecution has to disprove the theory beyond a reasonable doubt, that lack of evidence was a massive problem and made a justified conviction pretty much impossible, imo.
    Here's where we agree 100%.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Good to know as usual you don't know what you're talking about.
    Your opinion means a great deal to me.

Or you know. The other thing.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

In short, there is no evidence that things did not happen almost exactly as Zimmerman claims. And since the prosecution has to disprove the theory beyond a reasonable doubt, that lack of evidence was a massive problem and made a justified conviction pretty much impossible, imo.
    It could be argued, with little effort, that all evidence, especially forensic supported his story.

All the prosecution had was inconsistencies in his statements. Which will happen 100 times out of 100 when someone goes through a traumatic event.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Why is it disappointing? There was no evidence beyond a reasonable doubt to convict Zimmerman. AAMOF, there was lots of reasonable doubt.
    I find it disappointing because something will forever, in my mind, seem not quite right. It doesn't seem quite right when an armed adult sees an unarmed child first, initiates a situation (he probably would not have if the child were a different color), and the child ends up dead.

I actually am not super-emotional about this case, because there were a lot of unanswered questions about the night. But it does seem to fall in a tricky crossroads of gun control and racial profiling. It's an odd situation where an armed adult can kill an unarmed child and walk from the courtroom, but a man can kill dogs and go to jail, or man can shoot HIMSELF and go to jail.

:word

It is almost as if she has no idea that Martin had plenty of time to get home and go inside and close his door, but instead chose to confront and attack Zimmerman.
    There was no proof that Trayvon initiated anything either.

I find the belief that in a state that has a stand your ground law that you would say that Trayvon had a duty to essentially retreat in a public setting is bizarre.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Evidence, evidence, evidence ....

The rest is immaterial. We are a country of laws. If there's insufficient evidence to convict, you must acquit.

It's really that simple when you strip away all the racial overtones, all the innuendo, all the conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    How does that indicate Martin wanted a confrontation? Maybe he was nervous and a little scared (being a kid and all) and didn't want to lead this unknown man who was following him to his house. What evidence is there Martin wanted a fight?
    He wasn't nervous enough to keep running or call the cops. He waited around within yards of where he turned the corner for around 4 minutes, 50 yards from his apartment. Obviously any number of possibilities exist as to why, with various ranges of plausibility. I am going with by far the most likely, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There was no proof that Trayvon initiated anything either.

I find the belief that in a state that has a stand your ground law that you would say that Trayvon had a duty to essentially retreat in a public setting is bizarre.
    +1

He wasn't nervous enough to keep running or call the cops. He waited around within yards of where he turned the corner for around 4 minutes, 50 yards from his apartment. Obviously any number of possibilities exist as to why, with various ranges of plausibility. I am going with by far the most likely, imo.
    Yeah you do that...

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

The rest is immaterial. We are a country of laws. If there's insufficient evidence to convict, you must acquit.

It's really that simple when you strip away all the racial overtones, all the innuendo, all the conjecture.
    Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

I agree. Sadly, however, given the history of this nation (and nothing exists in a vacuum), there are certain communities that will grieve a little harder tonight. I, for one, really do wonder if Trayvon was a blonde white child named Jack and Zimmerman was a black man, this verdict wouldn't be different.

I just want to throw something out to everyone ....

We are all members of this fine message board. We all have differing opinions on this case obviously.

I'm happy to see we are all debating this issue from differing point of views and being relatively agreeable.

Thanks to everyone for being civil and staying within the letter of decorum.

Carry on ....