Page 19 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: George Zimmerman Trial

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    That doesn't set the precedent. The precedent is already set. You have the right if you have a reasonable fear of great bodily harm or imminent death, you can use any means necessary up to and including deadly force to stop it.

That's what self-defense is and likely why he was found not guilty.
    I guess it is kind of hard to prove or disprove that he felt his life was in jeopardy.

That is really the crux in all of this IMO.

Regardless, they didn't have any proof that could pin murder or manslaughter on the guy, so the justice system worked.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    I'm torn on this. I absolutely didn't think he was guilty of Murder 2, but I thought that he would be found guilty of manslaughter. I guess the facts are too hazy to determine if Trayvon was using deadly force in fighting with Zimmerman, but to me, this almost sets the precedent that if you get into a fist fight with someone in Florida, and they are carrying, they can justifiably shoot you, because fighting represents deadly force. Didn't seem to me that a 16 year old kid would be life threatening in a fight vs a 28 year old taking kickboxing type classes and carrying a gun.

I'm sure a civil suit is coming, that probably makes more sense now anyway.
    It didn't have to be deadly violence, Zimmerman simply had to fear he could be severely harmed or killed. Big difference, the law is about the perception of Zimmerman (as long as it is reasonable) and not about Martin's intention or actions.

Zimmerman's defense attorney indicated they are essentially immune from a civil trial but we will see.

Blog Entries

one thing is for sure...we still have race/culture issues in this country. I've seen plenty of "celebratory" posts in regards to the verdict that say things like "just because you listen to rap music, doesn't make you gangsta...be careful who you fuck with", and other things that talk about Trayvon "got what he deserved" for being a "hoodlum". On the flipside, I see plenty of people who are upset about the verdict attributing it to white men in Florida "making white people laws".

Race is the reason why this has publicity, that's it. I think Zimmerman was still guilty, but I don't think he racially profiled. I think he profiled his "type", then got into a fight and used the means to end the fight. I don't think it's right that he shoots and kills the kid and we say it's okay because a fight is justification for using deadly force. But I don't think either side was racially motivated. If Zimmerman was black or Trayvon was a white "gangsta" kid, the same shit would've happened.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Shame...I'm having very confused feelings right now. I figured from the start that he would be found not guilty but even still. A young man lost his life and for what?
    Last edited by Dade; 07-13-2013 at 11:19 PM.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Shame...I'm having very confused feelings right now. I figured from the start that he won't be found not guilty but even still. A young man lost his life and for what?
    It is a shame a young man lost his life but unless we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt it was due to a crime Zimmerman committed then Zimmerman had to be acquitted.

In any case Martin is still dead and regretting that would still apply.

Shame...I'm having very confused feelings right now. I figured from the start that he won't be found not guilty but even still. A young man lost his life and for what?
    Would that the so-called leaders care as much about this young man as the dozens that will lose their life in big cities tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Would that the so-called leaders care as much about this young man as the dozens that will lose their life in big cities tonight.
    Would you?

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Good to know as usual you don't know what you're talking about.
    :word

It is almost as if she has no idea that Martin had plenty of time to get home and go inside and close his door, but instead chose to confront and attack Zimmerman.

Zimmerman the slow, short, pudgy guy walking around with a bright red jacket and lit flashlight (not exactly sneaking around).

It is almost as if she thinks there is any evidence whatsoever that shows Zimmerman doing anything other than trying to keep a person within sight until the cops arrived. That is until confronted and attacked.

It was a tragedy to be sure. But by far the easiest way it could have been avoided was if Martin had not tried to beat up the 'creepy ass cracka' and instead went home or talked it out.

The rule of law here was simple. Unless there was evidence to disprove beyond a reasonable doubt Zimmerman's self-defense narrative, you acquit. There was scant evidence overall, and the evidence that existed corroborated his story.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 07-13-2013 at 11:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    It is a shame a young man lost his life but unless we can prove beyond a reasonable doubt it was due to a crime Zimmerman committed then Zimmerman had to be acquitted.

In any case Martin is still dead and regretting that would still apply.
    I get that Greg. I believe in our justice system...still this just feels wrong.

Would you?
    Well, I brought it up, so, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

It is almost as if she has no idea that Martin had plenty of time to get home and go inside and close his door, but instead chose to confront and attack Zimmerman.

Zimmerman the slow, short, pudgy guy walking around with a bright red jacket and lit flashlight (not exactly sneaking around).
    So he deserved to die because he didn't immediately go home? If Zimmerman has the right to follow someone, than Martin has the right to not go home.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post

Ignorance is bliss...