Page 17 of 36 FirstFirst ... 1516171819 ... LastLast

Re: George Zimmerman Trial

The longer it goes, the greater the chance of a hung jury over a decision either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think the manslaughter charge with a firearm involved is potentially almost as serious as the 2nd degree murder charge. If he gets convicted at all, he will do some serious time, imo.
    If this is accurate, no such charge exists.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0782.07.html

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    I think the manslaughter charge with a firearm involved is potentially almost as serious as the 2nd degree murder charge. If he gets convicted at all, he will do some serious time, imo.
    Yes, you're right, he could get life in prison for manslaugter, same as 2d degree murder,
    but key word is could. Depends on judge. I found this on FOX:

To get a manslaughter conviction, prosecutors must show only that Zimmerman killed without lawful justification. Under Florida's laws related to gun crimes, a manslaughter conviction could carry a penalty as heavy as the one for second-degree murder: life in prison.

“The killing of a human being is justifiable homicide and lawful if necessarily done while resisting an attempt to murder or commit a felony upon George Zimmerman, or to commit a felony in any dwelling house in which George Zimmerman was at the time of the killing,” according to jury instructions in the case.
    Allowing jurors to consider manslaughter could give those who aren't convinced the shooting amounted to murder a way to hold Zimmerman responsible for Martin’s death, said David Hill, an Orlando defense attorney with no connection to the case.
    "From the jury's point of view, if they don't like the second-degree murder — and I can see why they don't like it — he doesn't want to give them any options to convict on lesser charges," Hill said of Zimmerman defense attorney Don West
    It's standard for prosecutors in Florida murder cases to ask that the jury be allowed to consider lesser charges that were not actually brought against the defendant — and it's not unusual for judges to grant such requests.
    The Associated Press contributed to this report.
    Related Slideshow

Photos from George Zimmerman investigation

Zimmerman Trial's Most Dramatic Images
    ALSO ON THE WEB
    States Without an Income Tax (About.com)
    Ford Mustang Ditches Retro Look (Left Lane News)
    12 Biggest Plastic Surgery Addicts (Ranker)
    Reese Witherspoon Shows Off Plenty of Skin for Cameras (Hollyscoop)
    N.Y. Governor Cuomo Warns Khloe Kardashian Her Inappropriate T-Shirt Is Illegal (CafeMom)
    Taylor Swift's Bikini Body Is Definitely a Reason to Celebrate America (PHOTO) (CafeMom)
    MORE FROM FOX NEWS
    Amy's Baking Company revises its infamous employee contract
    National Geographic freelancer, paragliding instructor charged after flight over Kan. feedlot
    'Crackers,' a 'teenage mammy' -- the sorry truth about race and Zimmerman trial
    DUI case dismissed in Nevada crash that killed 5 family members
    Jurors in Zimmerman case adjourn deliberations for night
    Fate of Zimmerman now in hands of jury
    [What's This?]

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/07/12...#ixzz2ZYTklEMb

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    If this is accurate, no such charge exists.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...s/0782.07.html
    I, too, cannot find the statute, but I have seen it posted by many sites and said by many TV pundit lawyers. Like here:

http://www.nejamelaw.com/manslaughte...nse-lawyer.htm

Supposedly for some reason/statute, the firearm makes it a 1st degree manslaughter vs. 2nd degree.

EDIT: It actually looks like your link of statutes includes it as:

(3) A person who causes the death of any person under the age of 18 by culpable negligence under s. 827.03(2)(b) commits aggravated manslaughter of a child, a felony of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

So maybe it isn't the firearm? Even though all the people I have seen/heard mention it. I haven't looked or found "827.03(2)(b)" yet to see what it says, maybe it mentions a weapon or firearm.

EDIT #2: Just looked up 827.03 and it deals with child neglect not weapons/firearms. I am stumped on the relevant charge, if all these pundits are, in fact, correct. Still looking.
    Last edited by Haloti92; 07-12-2013 at 09:23 PM.

Blog Entries

I'm pretty sure I heard the judge in her jury instructions give the manslaughter with a firearm instruction.

Not sure where but here they are:

Blog Entries

So manslaughter looks like their best chance for a conviction with a long prison term
    which will make the demonstrators happy. Smartest move by the prosecution.

A hung jury seems like the best chance Z has with an all female jury for reasons posted above.
    Unlikely 6 females will vote acquittal.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Why was it a big mistake? Did you rush through it because it was the weekend?
    I was young and naive...I had this idealistic view of what I thought juries were supposed to be and let's just say I was thoroughly disabused of that notion by the end.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Go to your local court and sit in on any of the dozens of voir dire's that occur every day. People get out of jury duty all the time.
    Aren't you talking about 2 different things? Jury duty vs. actually getting picked for a trial? I was recently selected for jury duty in Baltimore County and wasn't selected for the first trial, but all that meant was that those of us not picked had to go back to jury room and wait for the next trial. As it were, they had a light case-load that day we were dismissed at lunch-time.

A guy I carpool with has a brother who is a police officer. He always thought that would get him out of getting selected for a jury, until the last time when he was actually picked.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Aren't you talking about 2 different things? Jury duty vs. actually getting picked for a trial? I was recently selected for jury duty in Baltimore County and wasn't selected for the first trial, but all that meant was that those of us not picked had to go back to jury room and wait for the next trial. As it were, they had a light case-load that day we were dismissed at lunch-time.
    The later. During each stage of the process, people are nixed for a variety of reasons. At first, people will give the court their last minute excuses to get out of service. Then the attorneys use their challenges. By the end of the process, you have people that want to be there (or are indifferent).

My original point was by the time you get to the point where you're actually one of the jurors, you've had ample time to get out of service. If any of the Zimmerman jury members was truly worried about the post trial stuff, they had more than one occasion to go home.

Blog Entries

Yea, you have time to get out depending on the circumstances. I had to get a doctor's note
    from my mom's doc stating that I was giving her insulin 4 times pr day plus her meds. The
    doctor's office had a form letter and the jury clerk just signed off on it and that was that.

Seven years ago I spent an entire day waiting to get selected for a murder trial but the jury
    list I was on was the back up list in case the attys ran out of jurors. They never got to us
    but we were excused for fulfilling our requirements as citizens.

They call you back every two years in Harford County, I think.

I really wanted to be on that jury but most of the people tried to get off and hated being there. I laughed my ass off out loud when the judge said if
    selected you'll be sequestered for about a week and you can't watch TV or
    read the newspapers or magazines. Would this be a hardship on anyone
    and half the room raised their hands and the judge interviewed everyone
    of them.

Jury looking for clarification on manslaughter instructions ....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...07-13-18-03-58

IMO, it's either acquittal or manslaughter conviction. My gut tells me acquittal.

I hope you are correct. My gut still is saying hung jury. The clarification I think is to try to convince a hold out (or two).

I don't know which side the holdout is on, but I don't see the odds of minds being changed through argument or clarifications being that high.