Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Re: No Debate Necessary- Baltimore Ravens Mount Rushmore

Ray Lewis
    Jamal Lewis
    Ed Reed
    Joe Flacco
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Blog Entries

I can certainly understand Florio's insertion of Joe Flacco, into their Mount Rushmore. He's essentially saying that it wasn't a fluke that they started having all of this consistent success once Joe came along, and admitted that Joe carried the team on his back this past postseason.

If you think about it, the Ravens have had at least two different rush offenses and defenses better than any they've had since Joe got here, but weren't able to muster a single playoff victory in seven years before Joe arrived. Actually, the five postseason appearances they've had under Joe is more than they had in all of their years combined without him(The Super Bowl run, the year after the Super Bowl run, the 2,000 yard season and the 13-3 season).
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Ray Lewis
    Jamal Lewis
    Ed Reed
    Joe Flacco
    Please explain how you omit Jon Ogden, a HOFer, and insert Jamal Lewis?

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    Please explain how you omit Jon Ogden, a HOFer, and insert Jamal Lewis?
    Jamal has the all-time 2nd greatest rushing yard season in NFL history. Moreover, his running helped win more Ravens games than JO's blocking. Just my opinion! In any event, I prefer being argumentative to merely nodding my head in agreement.

Just the reverse: on my mythical Colts Mt. Rushmore, I have Johnny U, Ray Berry, Gino Marchetti, and -- ahead of Lenny Moore -- Jim Parker. I believe Parker's blocking was a bigger contributor to the Colts' success than Moore's running, receiving, and dancing into the end zone. I believe that there's a good argument that Parker may have been the best lineman to ever play in the NFL.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Three players either are or will be first ballot HOFers are locks in my mind. It's the highest honor a player can receive and a credible measure of a successful career. This is an easy way to separate the three greatest Ravens from everyone else.

After Ogden, Reed and Lewis, I'm not going to argue too strongly on the 4th. Ozzie is great, but I would probably replace him first if we have another certain HOF player emerge. I'm obviously a big Ozzie supporter, but similar to Stover, I would value on the field performance higher.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Jamal has the all-time 2nd greatest rushing yard season in NFL history. Moreover, his running helped win more Ravens games than JO's blocking. Just my opinion! In any event, I prefer being argumentative to merely nodding my head in agreement.
    Point of order...3rd now. AP fell just 7 yards short of Dickerson's record, making him 2nd and 31 yards ahead of Jamal.

I think JO gets it over Jamal for consistency. Unfortunately for him, he never got to block for a franchise QB to make him look better. He kept a ton of mediocre to okay QBs upright. Jamal had a couple good years, but broke down quickly. His 2000 season was good, his 2002 season was a comeback from ACL year but still good, 2003 was his 2000+ season, 2004 was the year he dealt with his suspension. 2005 was a down year, and 2006 he was okay. Those last two years his YPC was down in the 3s, had been 4-5 in 2000, 2002-2004. So really, you've got 3 good seasons in 2000, 2002, 2003?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!