Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Qb - regular season or playoffs

There is a thread about the Top 100 List, which IMHO is no different than a group of fans throwing out opinions. This article by Gregg Rosenthal though raises an interesting point:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap100...op-100-players

Is the measure of the quality of a QB the regular season performance or the playoff run? Or a combination of the two? Would you rather have a QB that gathers stats of Worldly Proportions in the Regular Season, but only has one Ring? Is consistency in the regular and post-season more important than what Flacco has done; especially in the 2012 Playoff Run?

I do not think it is as simple as Rosenthal's view. There are QB's that you can count on when they get the ball at the end of the game. At the Super Bowl, I was convinced that SF would score on that last drive and the first thing I did was look at the clock to figure out how much time Joe would have to work the ball down the field. My first thought was that he would have to step up at the pressure time, but I was more concerned about somebody dropping a pass or fumbling the ball than on Joe's ability to drive to a win. I just remember the games that he moved the team and somebody missed a FG (Minnesota, 2009; NE, 2011) or dropped a pass (Evans, Boldin, TJ, Taylor). Joe is not in the spotlight like those that first come to mind, but I still feel he can do "it."

Having said all of that though, I would like to see more consistency in the regular season; but if I have to live with that and get into the playoffs with him at the helm, I can live with it.
    Captain Offense

Re: Qb - regular season or playoffs

Playoff Flacco and its not even close. If you tell me I'll get "Enter Ironman" Joe Flacco from 2010-2012 playoffs, I'll take it every day and twice on Sunday, ya heard. He goes straight into Beast mode when the playoffs start. From "Would-be" come back wins to straight up World Domination in 2012. He's a different animal when the bright lights are on. I'll take The Mighty Joe Flacco.

3. Re: Qb - regular season or playoffs

The QBs who put up Otherworldly Stats are on teams that run up-tempo, pass happy offenses because they have no running backs, but they do have 4 decent WRs/TEs so they go with the spread as their main formation.

We've always done the opposite because we have Rice & Pierce and we've always struggled just to find 2 WRs who can play with our one starting TE (first Heap, now Pitta). In 2008 & in 2011, we didn't even have a #3 WR. You can't really run the spread without 4 guys minimum.

That's part of the reason why we decided it's time to see what the young guys can do, because this season Thompson, Doss & Reed, along with whoever else earns playing time, will see the field because we will (finally) run the spread as one of our bases.

We're also going to go up-tempo more, running the no-huddle, so Flacco actually has a realistic shot at 4500 yds and 30 TDs--though I think he'll fall just short of those numbers because I expect the defense to return to its vaunted ways, so Flacco's not going to be throwing the ball that much in the 4th Qtr, not with a decent lead. That's when it'll be ball control time with Rice & Pierce.

Blog Entries

Personally, I think Flacco should be heralded for all that he was able to accomplish with Cam Cameron as his OC, especially when you consider how Ray Rice has not played up to his potential in the playoffs.

Now that Caldwell is running things, Joe will continue to build momentum from his most recent postseason performance and the media will act as though they were riding him all along.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Joe excelled when Caldwell took over and the OL improved. In my mind both of these changes put Joe in a better position to succeed. This year the OL looks solid (with Castillo fine tuning) and Caldwell has had the time to put his stamp on the offense. I expect more of playoff Joe moving forward.

Personally, I think that some people put too much stock in certain players because they've had great post-seasons, but at the same time, some people just completely throw out the post-season, and only go by the regular season. I think that each game is an individual game, but you at least have to factor in post-season performances, and recognize that they're against a higher caliber defense as well and the refs won't give you the defensive flags that you would have gotten in the regular season.

I personally think that Flacco's regular season stats have been unfairly underrated, and lost in the shuffle of all of the eye popping 5,000 yard, 40 TD performances great QB's are supposed to get. I also think it's a little absurd in general to obsess over numbers in such a team based game.

Here is what Adam Rank, of nfl.com, said about Flacco, and I tend to agree:

"If I needed one quarterback to win a playoff game, I'd pick Flacco. If I needed one quarterback to win my fantasy week, there are more than a dozen guys I would rather have."

This is precisely why so many people think Flacco is a mediocre QB - he doesn't deliver fantasy points. What he does deliver is wins, especially playoff wins, and that's why he's elite. Fantasy sports have skewed the view of the fan.

Ill take Flacco for the regular season and playoffs. All Flacco does is be a leading member of a team that has made 5 straight post season appearances. Gotta win games to get there. How you win is irrelevant, just win baby. Stats are for talking heads and fantasy players. Yea brees has the stats, where was he last post season? Let people talk bad about the Ravens and Flacco, nothing new, Ravens are use to it.

The Ravens are 2 time refunding AFC North Champions. They have had double digit wins in 4 of the 5 seasons Flacco has been QB. You need regular season wins to get to the post season... So regular season Joe must also be doing something right.

Quote Originally Posted by somedumbguy View Post
    The Ravens are 2 time refunding AFC North Champions. They have had double digit wins in 4 of the 5 seasons Flacco has been QB. You need regular season wins to get to the post season... So regular season Joe must also be doing something right.

I agree. While he hasn't put up flashy numbers in the regular season, he has played well enough to win allot of games. Also, he's played with one hand tied behind his back for 5 seasons under Cam. We all saw what happened when Caldwell stepped in. I honestly would forget about the past and look forward to a season where Caldwell has had a full off season to prepare an offense. I can't wait to see it unfold.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Personally, I think Flacco should be heralded for all that he was able to accomplish with Cam Cameron as his OC, especially when you consider how Ray Rice has not played up to his potential in the playoffs.

Now that Caldwell is running things, Joe will continue to build momentum from his most recent postseason performance and the media will act as though they were riding him all along.
    I bet anything they'll still nit pick his game or overlook him all together for the likes of Ryan and RG and Kap et al. For reasons which I am tired of trying to figure out Joe is just not a favorite of the national press.
    They hate us..... but they want to BE us. (.... or at least poach all our players/coaches/FO people!) :respect

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Here is what Adam Rank, of nfl.com, said about Flacco, and I tend to agree:

"If I needed one quarterback to win a playoff game, I'd pick Flacco. If I needed one quarterback to win my fantasy week, there are more than a dozen guys I would rather have."

This is precisely why so many people think Flacco is a mediocre QB - he doesn't deliver fantasy points. What he does deliver is wins, especially playoff wins, and that's why he's elite. Fantasy sports have skewed the view of the fan.
    I have an intense dislike of fantasy sports. I was in the stands the day Jamal had his record breaking day and my buddy was lamenting the fact that Jamal was going to cause him to lose because he didn't have him on his fantasy team.... Wha? ...say Wha?... Since then, I avoid people who play on fantasy island, and will not have a conversation about it, even if it means walking away from them.