Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Virulent Racism in the Republican Party

Dems or Reps...does it matter?

Rich white men are going to act like rich white men regardless of what party line they "adhere" to.

This Dem vs Rep mantra is antiquated and is a far cry from what they're supposed to be. People just line themselves with one or the other to make themselves feel like they belong.

I can't stand party politics because it is all non-sense and completely based on what is going to win votes.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Rich white men are going to act like rich white men regardless of what party line they "adhere" to.

This Dem vs Rep mantra is antiquated and is a far cry from what they're supposed to be. People just line themselves with one or the other to make themselves feel like they belong.

I can't stand party politics because it is all non-sense and completely based on what is going to win votes.
    Far too much logic for this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Not sure what your cryptic non-response means, but I actually feel quite well.
    Nothing cryptic about pointing out yet another fallacy on your part.

This thread started with loose claims of "virulent racism" backed up by a biased source, to flat out making personal insults to someone that disagrees with you, to the "tough titty" response which you quickly edited out, to now shifting the debate to the supposed virtues of the Democratic Party. You're completely off your original point.

"Moving the goalposts" is not only an accurate metaphor of your debate style but it is a logical fallacy.

Exactly.

I would only replace "rich white men" with "people in power". Abusive government is an equal-opportunity-employer.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Exactly.

I would only replace "rich white men" with "people in power". Abusive government is an equal-opportunity-employer.
    True.

The only reason I say that - and I realize it is somewhat of a stereotype - is that one could certainly argue that a majority of Congress are wealthy old white men. I mean, someone brought up Robert C. Byrd in the other thread...that dude was a senator for damn near 60 years.

The lack of turnover within Congress is really a big problem.

The only reason I say that - and I realize it is somewhat of a stereotype - is that one could certainly argue that a majority of Congress are wealthy old white men. I mean, someone brought up Robert C. Byrd in the other thread...that dude was a senator for damn near 60 years.

The lack of turnover within Congress is really a big problem.
    You are absolutely right. Historically, in America, the power has been in the hands of rich, white men. That is changing, and with it, the ones doing the abusing.

Look around the world...abuse of power does not recognize skin color.

Welfare should have nothing to do with race, and ideally it would not when people use the word. The point I am making, however, is that Republican politicians use this word to subtly refer to specific groups of people, like blacks. The word "handouts" is similar.

See Romney fucking up with his 47% comment. He said half the country is expecting "handouts" or something similar, but it can be very reasonably inferred that he was referring to black people, whose vote he mostly had to give up on trying to get.
    Are you freaking kidding me? IF you add up all of the minorites combined you don't get nearly to 47%.... The only way that can possibly be construed is racist is by someone projecting their own beliefs on it.... Seriously... When I hear the word welfare or handouts the image of a trailer park in Dundlk comes up as often as a rowhome on north avenue...

I find it utterly laughable the people (like aka) that truly think there is some big difference between the 2 governing parties. Maybe abortion and gay rights are the two I can come up with...but these are considered side-issues when the big policy questions arise. On just about all the major issues, while they may give lip service to one side or the other (to gain monetary contributions, votes, etc.), they are truly in lock-step when it comes to walking-the-walk:

Deficit spending
    Social welfare
    Foreign expansionism
    "The War on Drugs"
    "The War on Terror"
    Gun control
    etc...etc...etc.

The "occupy" movement was sorta on to this...but I think they missed their mark when they assumed it was BIG companies abusing the power, and that government (led by "The One") was on their side.

It is really BIG companies plus BIG government plus BIG media that is running this country (into the ground).

In a more perfect world, the "occupy" movement, the Tea Party and the libertarians would have been able to drop their pre-conceived notions of one another and had some level-headed discussions about finding middle ground on a lot of issues and could have been a true counter-weight to the ruling elite.

Blog Entries

You continue to miss my point completely. I am in not talking about social welfare policy. I am talking about racist language (that is sometimes coded).
    Welfare should have nothing to do with race, and ideally it would not when people use the word. The point I am making, however, is that Republican politicians use this word to subtly refer to specific groups of people, like blacks. The word "handouts" is similar.

See Romney fucking up with his 47% comment. He said half the country is expecting "handouts" or something similar, but it can be very reasonably inferred that he was referring to black people, whose vote he mostly had to give up on trying to get.
    The only person I see in this thread that thinks these "coded" words are inferring to blacks, hispanics or any other minority is you.

If you (the royal you) think or assume that when someone says "handouts" or welfare" that they are trying to code their language and I don't uncode it to mean a black person but you do, who is the racist?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    What does welfare have to do with race? There are far more whites on welfare than any other ethnic group.

I think you're confusing the topics a bit.
    There's more whites in the population - about 70% are white while under 14% are black.
    So if you break it down by percent it's a lot higher percentage of blacks on well fare than
    whites.

About 28% of blacks are on well fare as opposed to about 5% of whites.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Interesting article that plainly states some ugly truths.

"Republicans aren’t all racist. But the party actively cultivates racists as voters."

It does this with coded words to Republican voters (e.g., "welfare," "handouts," etc.) and by following in the footsteps of elected Republican officials, who seem to get caught with racist emails/remarks on an almost monthly basis.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_a..._politics.html
    It's too bad Kleagle Bird isn't alive today to respond. Or how about Senator Gore (Al's dad) who railed against the Civil Rights legislation.

Blog Entries
    Republicans are a party of bad ideas and Democrats are a party of no ideas. A Republican stands up and says "I got a really bad idea!" and then the Democrat stands up and says "And I can make it shittier!"

-Lewis Black

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner