Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT: James Gandolfini Dead

What is it with Italian-American men & heart attacks?

I'm cento per cento I-A & nearly every male member on either side of my parents' rather larger families has passed on thanks to heart attack or stroke. Some of them, like Gandolfini (RIP), waaaay too young.

I have this theory that the genotype had been whittled down over the centuries to them as prosper under a combination of a Mediterranean diet and a lot of physical activity...& when they came over & overlaid the upwardly-mobile American lifestyle (meat & potatoes, overeating, white-collar work) onto that, the coronary arteries were not amused...

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    He really did a fantastic job portraying that type of character that could "walk the line".

As Tony Soprano, you knew that dude was a BAD man. However, you wanted Tony to win. You wanted to see him, Paulie, Syl, and all of those guys succeed.

I think that's why they ended it the way that they did. Just straight cut to blacked out, silent screen
    I thought the last scene was genius in it's simplicity and I believe it was obvious that Tony was killed.

Go back to the episode or two before that. Tony and Bobby are sitting in a boat and they talk about what it's like when you die. Tony says something to the effect that "things just go black".

Now fast forward to that final scene. As each person walks into Holsten's, the camera shows his face and he's not phased by any person that walks in or walks by. The very last scene before the black screen shows Tony's face and he has a very concerned look on his face.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    yeah me too...

He skirted the line between good guy and bad guy so well... and has in movies as well... "The Mexican" for one... IT was a role that fit him... complex, conflicted, leaving the viewer conflicted as well...
    agreed definitely a very very good actor...i wish david chase made a sopranos movie

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I have the first three episodes of The Sopranos downloaded to computer. Was going to watch them to get a feel for the show/figure out if I should continue and then I heard this. Oy. Allow me to echo how fleeting life is. Sorry for his family's loss. I could guess that it was a heart attack (we all probably did) when we first saw the headline.
    it starts slow but gets really good...seasons 2&3 are the best in my opinion

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I thought the last scene was genius in it's simplicity and I believe it was obvious that Tony was killed.

Go back to the episode or two before that. Tony and Bobby are sitting in a boat and they talk about what it's like when you die. Tony says something to the effect that "things just go black".

Now fast forward to that final scene. As each person walks into Holsten's, the camera shows his face and he's not phased by any person that walks in or walks by. The very last scene before the black screen shows Tony's face and he has a very concerned look on his face.
    good interpretation. Always has made the most sense to me. I assume it was the "members only jacket guy" coming out of the bathroom. Tonys look of concern being in retaliation to what we dont see, Meadows look of fear of walking in right as its happening, as she would have the better view of the gunmen. Tony just reacting to seeing his daughter distraught and otherwise unaware of his own impending death. I think this ending allows you to fill in blanks while if the shot was the reverse, meadow carmela or AJ, you lose that by seeing their reaction. First time i saw it i was unsure about it, but it has grown on me as I keep watching it over.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    good interpretation. Always has made the most sense to me. I assume it was the "members only jacket guy" coming out of the bathroom. Tonys look of concern being in retaliation to what we dont see, Meadows look of fear of walking in right as its happening, as she would have the better view of the gunmen.
    Spot on. I forgot about Meadow's reaction.

The use of the members only guy going to the bathroom also eludes to the running theme through the series of paying homage to "The Godfather".

It's assumed that the jacket guy is retrieving the gun from the bathroom much in the way Michael did the same in the first movie.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Spot on. I forgot about Meadow's reaction.

The use of the members only guy going to the bathroom also eludes to the running theme through the series of paying homage to "The Godfather".

It's assumed that the jacket guy is retrieving the gun from the bathroom much in the way Michael did the same in the first movie.
    I think the only thing we see of meadow is when shes running across the street. not sure if thats enough to go off of or not. i was more saying that we dont see her, but the look on her face would be what Tony was reacting to. which im assuming in this case is a gun pointed at her father.

I assumed as soon as he got up he was going to the bathroom because of that scene. great tie in.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    good interpretation. Always has made the most sense to me. I assume it was the "members only jacket guy" coming out of the bathroom. Tonys look of concern being in retaliation to what we dont see, Meadows look of fear of walking in right as its happening, as she would have the better view of the gunmen. Tony just reacting to seeing his daughter distraught and otherwise unaware of his own impending death. I think this ending allows you to fill in blanks while if the shot was the reverse, meadow carmela or AJ, you lose that by seeing their reaction. First time i saw it i was unsure about it, but it has grown on me as I keep watching it over.

In the moment, I was confused, thought there was an issue with the tv/or cable feed... but after the fact, yes I agree, He died.. and the scene in the boat was the tell...

GREAT way to end the show... I know I didn't want to atually see Tony get Offed....

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    it starts slow but gets really good...seasons 2&3 are the best in my opinion
    I can handle a slow burn. I've been told that if you love the Wire (which I did; David Simon even spoke at Georgetown's commencement!) then you'll love the Sopranos. Thanks for the recommendation!
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    I can handle a slow burn. I've been told that if you love the Wire (which I did; David Simon even spoke at Georgetown's commencement!) then you'll love the Sopranos. Thanks for the recommendation!
    The 5th episode of the 1st season is one of the best of the whole series. It's called 'College' and it's about Tony taking his daughter on a trip to Maine to look at colleges. Once you hit that one you will be hooked

I originally thought that Tony was killed in the last episode, especially after the talk between him and Bobby on the boat a few episodes back. However, the idea that you have to infer someone being killed doesn't follow Chase's vision of the series. There were a ton of murders throughout the 86 episodes, and they all were explicitly shown, you never had to piece anything together. I think the final scene dealt with Tony's paranoia, things had finally been resolved with the NY family, but Tony's mind could never be put at ease. He was constantly monitoring the front door because it was in his DNA as a mob boss to always be on the lookout, he could never shut it off. The lyric in the Journey song in the background summed it up, "it goes on and on and on and on..." No one in the restaurant looked threatening or were shown to have a weapon, plus it wouldn't have made sense to kill someone in a crowded restaurant in front of a bunch of witnesses. At least that's how I look at it now.

Quote Originally Posted by TurtlesNBirds View Post
    I originally thought that Tony was killed in the last episode, especially after the talk between him and Bobby on the boat a few episodes back. However, the idea that you have to infer someone being killed doesn't follow Chase's vision of the series. There were a ton of murders throughout the 86 episodes, and they all were explicitly shown, you never had to piece anything together. I think the final scene dealt with Tony's paranoia, things had finally been resolved with the NY family, but Tony's mind could never be put at ease. He was constantly monitoring the front door because it was in his DNA as a mob boss to always be on the lookout, he could never shut it off. The lyric in the Journey song in the background summed it up, "it goes on and on and on and on..." No one in the restaurant looked threatening or were shown to have a weapon, plus it wouldn't have made sense to kill someone in a crowded restaurant in front of a bunch of witnesses. At least that's how I look at it now.
    Tony doesn't look paranoid at all. That's the point. It's the first time in the 86 episodes he's letting his guard down.

As each person walks in, they cut to his face and he's not phased in the least, even when members only jacket guy walks in. It's a quick glance then back down to his menu. It isn't until the last shot of his face does he look concerned.

There's also the concept that I've seen surrounding the "never hear it happen" theme throughout that season. Numerous times during that season, stuff happens to a bunch of characters and they never heard it, particularly the guy that's killed at the dinner table with Silvio. Silvio is covered in blood before the shot is ever heard (and, technically, you don't see that person get shot; just the blood). Phil Leotardo never hears it happen either. He's shot from the side.