Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: OT: James Gandolfini Dead

How does anybody truly know if somebody's (an author, musician, actor, pioneering entrepreneur/inventor, etc) untimely death doesn't effect them? Sure, superficially it may appear that the death didn't effect you in the least. However, it seems to me unless you can see your life as if that person did not die, and his/her works (books, music, theater, electronics) didn't influence your own or anyone else's life that ever had OR would ever have contact with you, then it's just conjecture. And, rather shallow at that, IMO. For instance, what if John Lennon wasn't killed in 1980 and his influence on the music industry wasn't cut short. Perhaps, R&R wouldn't be dead too (it is IMO). What if Steve Jobs hadn't died at the age of 56, perhaps his next endeavor would have inspired one of us to, idk, use your imagination. What if Len Bias lived, Reggie Lewis, Freddie Mercury, JFK, MLK (ok the last two aren't the best examples) but the point is, even though their deaths didn't directly effect us that we know of doesn't mean it didn't change our lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Derf View Post
    How does anybody truly know if somebody's (an author, musician, actor, pioneering entrepreneur/inventor, etc) untimely death doesn't effect them? Sure, superficially it may appear that the death didn't effect you in the least. However, it seems to me unless you can see your life as if that person did not die, and his/her works (books, music, theater, electronics) didn't influence your own or anyone else's life that ever had OR would ever have contact with you, then it's just conjecture. And, rather shallow at that, IMO. For instance, what if John Lennon wasn't killed in 1980 and his influence on the music industry wasn't cut short. Perhaps, R&R wouldn't be dead too (it is IMO). What if Steve Jobs hadn't died at the age of 56, perhaps his next endeavor would have inspired one of us to, idk, use your imagination. What if Len Bias lived, Reggie Lewis, Freddie Mercury, JFK, MLK (ok the last two aren't the best examples) but the point is, even though their deaths didn't directly effect us that we know of doesn't mean it didn't change our lives.
    It's a wonderful life.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    It's a wonderful life.
    Butterfly Effect

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    It's called empathy. Just because you don't know someone, doesn't mean, you shouldn't be able to put yourself in their shoes, or be able to see that the people they left behind are grieving. If you can't, that is a characteristic of being a sociopath.

I don't know anyone, personally, that was killed in the twin towers, but I feel for terrible for them, their families, and friends.
    Whenever we see a bad wreck on the highway, my grandaughters and i always say a quick prayer for those involved. We don't know them but we mean it. I was just raised that way. My whole family is like that.

I didn't watch the Sopranos that much, but i hear Mr. Gandolfini was a good guy. Thoughts and prayers are with his family.
    Twenty years of Cheers.
    Thanks Baltimore Ravens Fans - You're the Best!

Blog Entries

Ahh, that's a shame. Also never seen The Sopranos, but have been planning to soon. I thought he put a great turn in for In The Loop. Guy had a real presence.

I can't believe how many haven't seem the sopranos. It's just simply brilliant and he made it

I grew up in the town of Kearny where they did a lot of filming for the show. It always gave us a sense of pride for whatever reason. Far too young... RIP sir

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    I can't believe how many haven't seem the sopranos. It's just simply brilliant and he made it
    yeah me too...

He skirted the line between good guy and bad guy so well... and has in movies as well... "The Mexican" for one... IT was a role that fit him... complex, conflicted, leaving the viewer conflicted as well...

The Sopranos was one of the all-time greatest shows on television. James was a major, if not THE major reason for it. He will be sorely missed. Way to young to go.

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    The Sopranos was one of the all-time greatest shows on television. James was a major, if not THE major reason for it. He will be sorely missed. Way to young to go.
    Loved the Sopranos would religiously watch it every Sunday night. Gandolfini made the show. Lots of other great actors/actresses but he was the glue that bound it all together. Without his powerhouse performance the show is not half as good as it was.

Far as being personally affected. I was really sad to hear this news. I am also sad for his family having lost people in mine that I loved and cared about. Its natural to feel empathy though the degrees vary based on your perceived personal connection to the person in question. Its one thing to say that you never watched the show and had only seen him a few times so while you understand why people are sad, it has very little effect on you. Its a whole other thing to say whats the big deal so the guy died, get over it. The first is a natural response of a person with little connection to the deceased. The second is the reaction of a sociopath/psychopath with no perception of human emotion as they generally lack normal emotional reaction and thus the ability to understand it.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

He really did a fantastic job portraying that type of character that could "walk the line".

As Tony Soprano, you knew that dude was a BAD man. However, you wanted Tony to win. You wanted to see him, Paulie, Syl, and all of those guys succeed.

I think that's why they ended it the way that they did. Just straight cut to blacked out, silent screen.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I have the first three episodes of The Sopranos downloaded to computer. Was going to watch them to get a feel for the show/figure out if I should continue and then I heard this. Oy. Allow me to echo how fleeting life is. Sorry for his family's loss. I could guess that it was a heart attack (we all probably did) when we first saw the headline.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh