Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Flacco in 2012 - Average in both Red Zone usage & success

While searching for info on Flacco's goal line usage (to confirm my suspicions), I stumbled across this on a Colt's blog. It's main focus is on Andrew Luck, naturally, but it includes some charts that list every QB's red zone success and usage in 2012, among other things.

And Flacco was in the middle on both of those charts:
    http://www.coltsauthority.com/2013-a...rterbacks.html

Keep in mind that the red zone refers to the area between the 20 yard line and the goal line. What I was hoping to find is how often Flacco threw the ball once it was 1st and goal or 2nd and goal and how that compared with other QBs.
    Because obviously when a QB throws the ball less often on 1st or 2nd & goal than other QBs, then that QB is going to have fewer TD pass opportunities, and thus fewer TDs.

If anyone can find Flacco's goal line stats, and how they compare, could you post those here?

Re: Flacco in 2012 - Average in both Red Zone usage & success

The only thing I will say is, it kind of doesn't matter.
    While Cam called the shots, Joe was handcuffed.
    So, all those stats are worthless now that we have a coordinator who actually knows what to do with a big armed, accurate thrower.

I mean, if anyone went by those stats, every analyst would have picked against him in the playoffs...oh wait...

I expect this to be Joe's best year as a pro and I see him throwing for a personal best in TDs and total yards.

The biggest things which Caldwell knows, is how to run plays that naturally get the receivers separation, along with using multiple personnel packages to exploit matchups. And to move the pocket if it helps extend a play to allow a receiver to gain separation.
    It is not rocket science.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post
    So, all those stats are worthless now that we have a coordinator who actually knows what to do with a big armed, accurate thrower.

I mean, if anyone went by those stats, every analyst would have picked against him in the playoffs...oh wait...

I expect this to be Joe's best year as a pro and I see him throwing for a personal best in TDs and total yards.

The biggest things which Caldwell knows, is how to run plays that naturally get the receivers separation, along with using multiple personnel packages to exploit matchups. And to move the pocket if it helps extend a play to allow a receiver to gain separation.
    It is not rocket science.
    I completely agree. There is such a disconnect between Joe under Cam and Joe under Caldwell last season that it's very difficult to look at a season average and make any conclusions.

It's interesting to discuss, but I also agree with the guys here FWIW.

Related...as our defense and all of its new parts come up to speed in Sep and Oct, our offense should get the jump on folks over that same time frame. No one has seen our complete offense as designed by Jim yet...especially with 1) [an anticipated] re-focus on two TEs, 2) incorporating a FB that can get downfield a bit in the passing game, and 3) the Juan's influence on the offensive line.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

A big part of Joe's lack of usage was, besides Cam, our very successful run game. A big plus in his favor is he very rarely turns the ball over in the redzone. I believe before that Denver play in the regular season he had the longest active streak of attempts without a redzone INT in the league.

I'm not sure where that site got their facts, but I'm pretty sure they are off in a few places. Maybe they are also counting being inside your own 20 yard line? I definitely can't remember 3 redzone INTs by Flacco.

6. Re: Flacco in 2012 - Average in both Red Zone usage & success

The red zone is the area between the 20 and the goal line, not the 10, TheSpiderWebb.
    And that's what I was trying to find: because I was curious to see if Joe, under Cam, was given a similar number of chances at the goal line as the universally-accepted elite QBs were given.
    But all I could find were there red zone stats, not their goal line stats.

And I agree with you guys that under Caldwell, Joe's going to pass the ball more at the goal line then before, and have greater success because the play designs and calls will be better..

Blog Entries

3 Redzone INTs...

1 - vs Cleveland, Week 4, Joe Flacco pass incomplete short right intended for Anquan Boldin is intercepted by Craig Robertson at CLE-0, Touchback

2 - @ Washington, Week 14, Joe Flacco pass incomplete short middle intended for Ray Rice is intercepted by London Fletcher at WAS-13, returned to WAS-15

3 - vs Denver, Week 15, Joe Flacco pass incomplete short left intended for Anquan Boldin is intercepted by Chris Harris at DEN-2 and returned for 98 yards, Touchdown
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Again, the good rush offense is something to note here. I thought I recalled during the season at one point late, we had a pretty amazing stat when it came to FG or TD made when in the Redzone...

I found a site that had stats for TDs in the Redzone, but no FG...and it confirmed my suspicions. We were #5 in the NFL in 2012 is Redzone TD %...

http://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat...ne-scoring-pct

Rank Team RZ TD % Home RZTD % Road RZTD % 2011 RZ TD %
    5 Baltimore 61.02% 60.61% 61.54% 50.00%
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens44 View Post

:wordI will say this however, even under Cam Joe's win/loss record was pretty impressive. While he wasn't the focal point of the offense he stood tall and made some awesome plays in key situations. I can't wait to see the numbers he puts up this year after Caldwell has had an entire off season to prepare.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I expect Flacco to be near the top in 2013. So far under Caldwell he has thrown for 15 TD, 1 INT in 7 games. Like someone said earlier, he was handcuffed under Cam. Even though Harbaugh likes to play close to the vest, Flacco is going to still post career best stats in just about every category.

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    The red zone is the area between the 20 and the goal line, not the 10, TheSpiderWebb.
    And that's what I was trying to find: because I was curious to see if Joe, under Cam, was given a similar number of chances at the goal line as the universally-accepted elite QBs were given.
    But all I could find were there red zone stats, not their goal line stats.

And I agree with you guys that under Caldwell, Joe's going to pass the ball more at the goal line then before, and have greater success because the play designs and calls will be better..
    ?

I said the 20 yard line, I know where the redzone is. Not sure what you are saying.

Stats can be filtered to get a favorable result. A Ralph Emerson Waldo quote comes to mind:

He uses statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post; for support rather than illumination

The bottom line is Joe won the Super Bowl, I'll do a stat for that:

1. Joe Flacco
    2. No one

Who outplayed and won over 2 future HOF quarterbacks(maybe 3 once Luck and Kaepernick have a career) in the playoffs:

1. Joe Flacco
    2. No one

2 things changed for the playoffs that were significantly different from the regular season. I thought the biggest key to the playoff run was the offensive line. There were games the offensive line played poorly and once Joe got time to throw playoff success followed. The other is Caldwell's influence. There are reasons to believe the line and play calling will be stronger during the season this year.