Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: OT - Any electricians on this forum?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    I've fished cable in my home (1927, plaster), with and without fishtape. It depends are far you are going and how many turns. Do you have to pull it across studs to get it from where it comes into the home to where the TV is? Because then you are talking about the tougher job of cutting dry wall and drilling holes in the studs....or alternatively fishing down to the basement (or up to the attic) attic, over, and then up/down the stud bay where the TV will be.
    Shas,

My goal is to NOT have to go across any studs.

I did speak to a gent at Home Depot (seems like my hangout now) and he was recommending that I fish the line up to the attic and then down. I get that is probably an easier process, but the closest distance to the wall where I want to go is up through the basement ceiling and splice the wire with a 3 or 2 way splitter.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I can understand putting the jack as close to the floor as possible...I was trying to keep it at the same level as the other outlets...so maybe 18" above the floor? Something like that?

That's why I was thinking coming up would be the least messy, but drilling a hole down would all but alleviate me from guesswork...
    Yeah, I would suggest getting the drill bit before you cut the hole. That way you will know how far up you can cut the hole for the box. I think you can get these bits up to 18 - 24" long.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

This thread reminds me why I have DirecTV.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post

They even ran a cable across my front lawn two years ago and I'm not even a customer. Called numerous times to get it buried, finally buried it myself with a shovel about a month ago.
    WTF!?!?

I'll tell you one thing, and this has been from my experience being a comcast customer for around 15 years, they are a horrible, horrible company.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

[QUOTE=Sirdowski;637493]WTF!?!?

If you do not want to tackle it your self you can call GS Electric in Thurmont Ask for Gus, Brandenburg Electric and TEI Construction are in Frederick. All are customers of mine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirdowski View Post
    WTF!?!?

I'll tell you one thing, and this has been from my experience being a comcast customer for around 15 years, they are a horrible, horrible company.
    Just to elaborate, and this is no BS...they showed up with a truck and trailer with a backhoe on Thanksgiving eve 2011 then said they had the wrong stuff and would return. They didn't return until the day after Christmas 2012 when a guy with a shovel made some makeshift splice thing that stuck about 2 feet above ground. He spray painted it orange. This month I said fuckem and buried everything.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Is DirecTV wireless?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Is DirecTV wireless?
    You don't have to worry about digging up your yard but from the dish to the box it still requires a cable.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by ravenray View Post
    Is DirecTV wireless?
    Nope.

But the installer knew what he was doing and ran lines in the walls.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Just to elaborate, and this is no BS...they showed up with a truck and trailer with a backhoe on Thanksgiving eve 2011 then said they had the wrong stuff and would return. They didn't return until the day after Christmas 2012 when a guy with a shovel made some makeshift splice thing that stuck about 2 feet above ground. He spray painted it orange. This month I said fuckem and buried everything.
    Wow. That's hilarious. I've heard stories about jackass technicians running lines like Christmas lights through trees, but this takes the cake.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

I've wired several homes in the past. Lowrider offered the do-it-yourself advice I would give. That's assuming your basement is unfinished. I'll add a few points. Get a long drill bit from Lowes or Home Depots and an old works box. Use the box as a template to cut the rectangular hole in the drywall where you want the cable to terminate. The drill bits are long and flexible to work in the tight space and go through the floor. Most important, make sure you measure and check where you are drilling so you don't hit a pipe, cable, duct, etc. They sell staples for cables that you can nail them across the basement floor joists to keep everything tidy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Yea, I did not want an antenna bolted onto the house. Plus, we're in the woods...lots of trees...I dont know. Just didn't give me warm-n-fuzzies.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.