Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Results 85 to 95 of 95
  1. #85

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke



    More and more the ranks of 'Pro' atheletes are being populated by players that are unsophisticated in the handling of money and who don't have any real advisers that can truthfully advise them. Secondly, by signing these 'big' contracts they are advertising that they are the financial sheep that is just waiting to be shorn by every financial fly by night that they know and that they don't know. And lets face one other reality - they are in their early 20's and still children in everything except their body development. Then then throw in their thinking with their little head, instead of the one that is on their shoulders - it is truly a wonder that they all don't end up bankrupt.




  2. #86
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    N
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    It's a free country so I doubt any employee would want their employer dictating what they can and cannot do in regards to their money once it's earned.

    The rookie symposiums are a relatively new thing so it's hard to say either way if they're working or not. You really should try to find / watch "Broke". Not every NFLer is in this predicament.

    Also, consider the PR disaster for the league after such an initiative. If they start lending money to players and the player goes broke, the league is going to be blamed for it. You're basically saying "Yes, players do dumb things but instead of correcting the problem, lets give them a way to keep doing dumb things with their money but the league gets richer off the interest".

    No thanks.
    Must try and watch it, probably not get it here in uk ever unless its on youtube




  3. #87
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,282
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Must try and watch it, probably not get it here in uk ever unless its on youtube
    It's on iTunes and I am sure someone has pirated it to YouTube by now.

    It's part of ESPN's "30 for 30" series.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  4. #88

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    It really pays to be a waiter at a posh restaurant as opposed to a Denny's.
    I have a couple questions about this whole thread and this whole tipping thing lol.

    1. First, looking at the prices on Mr. Merriweather's bill, I have to wonder how many people are willing to pay those kinds of prices, and are there enough folks that stupid to run a business off them?

    2. I firmly believe in tipping folks between 15% and 20 %. I had the finest meal of my life in the Rainbow Room Grille on the 85th floor of Rockefeller Center in New York at Christmastime. The place is reputed to have one of the top ten dining experiences in the world. We had three white tuxedoed waiters attending our party of six and they did a fantastic job. Everyone agreed that 25% was appropriate and I gladly paid it. I recall the bill was just short of $300 for the wife and I, including 4 courses, drinks and tip. That is pretty much top of the line for me. I can't see the likelihood of the meal, the service or the ambience being much better and I'm certainly not going to pay much more for a single meal no matter how good a turd it might make lol.

    3. Which brings me to the following conclusion: If I were to one day have a meal that costs significantly more than the one described above, I see absolutely no sense in tipping more than $100. Ie; $400 meal = $100 tip. $15,000 bar bill - please shoot me for stupidity after I give you your $100 tip. I don't care what the bill is. Nobody is going to do that much work serving food in an hours time to deserve a tip of more than a hundred dollars of my money without hearing the soft tap tap tap of someones head gently bouncing off the bottom of the table.
    If you break the rules you can't make the rules.
    - Remove Coach Tomlin from the NFL Competition committee.




  5. #89
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,233
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by Real Fan Dan View Post
    I have a couple questions about this whole thread and this whole tipping thing lol.

    1. First, looking at the prices on Mr. Merriweather's bill, I have to wonder how many people are willing to pay those kinds of prices, and are there enough folks that stupid to run a business off them?

    2. I firmly believe in tipping folks between 15% and 20 %. I had the finest meal of my life in the Rainbow Room Grille on the 85th floor of Rockefeller Center in New York at Christmastime. The place is reputed to have one of the top ten dining experiences in the world. We had three white tuxedoed waiters attending our party of six and they did a fantastic job. Everyone agreed that 25% was appropriate and I gladly paid it. I recall the bill was just short of $300 for the wife and I, including 4 courses, drinks and tip. That is pretty much top of the line for me. I can't see the likelihood of the meal, the service or the ambience being much better and I'm certainly not going to pay much more for a single meal no matter how good a turd it might make lol.

    3. Which brings me to the following conclusion: If I were to one day have a meal that costs significantly more than the one described above, I see absolutely no sense in tipping more than $100. Ie; $400 meal = $100 tip. $15,000 bar bill - please shoot me for stupidity after I give you your $100 tip. I don't care what the bill is. Nobody is going to do that much work serving food in an hours time to deserve a tip of more than a hundred dollars of my money without hearing the soft tap tap tap of someones head gently bouncing off the bottom of the table.

    That post reminds me of the episode on the Sopranos when Tony's
    gang ate out and the youngest guy in the gang had to pay for everyone
    which was the custom. He kept bitching but Tony said thats the rule.

    So at the end he paid the bill and tipped the going rate of 10% back then. He's
    out on the parking lot talking and the waiter came out and said was there a problem.
    The guy said I tipped you 10%. He said deserved more for a big crowd like that. I
    have kids in college to pay for.

    The old guy had a heart attack arguing so both the guys shot him
    in the lot and ran off.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




  6. #90
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,282

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    So at the end he paid the bill and tipped the going rate of 10% back then.
    Chris tipped $16.00 on an $1,100 bill. And the "going rate" for tipping in the US has never been 10%.

    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    The old guy had a heart attack arguing so both the guys shot him in the lot and ran off.
    No. They threw a rock at his head as he walked away, went into convulsions and then they shot him.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Chris tipped $16.00 on an $1,100 bill. And the "going rate" for tipping in the US has never been 10%.



    No. They threw a rock at his head as he walked away, went into convulsions and then they shot him.
    Dd you have to look that up to remember he exact figures? I really hope so hAha




  8. #92
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    23,282
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Dd you have to look that up to remember he exact figures? I really hope so hAha
    I'm somewhat of a Sopranos geek.

    Obviously.

    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  9. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Northern Ireland, UK
    Posts
    2,691

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I'm somewhat of a Sopranos geek.

    Obviously.

    great show, actually going to re watch it and the wire after my exams are over next week.

    Rushed it into a 10 day period the first time around lol




  10. #94

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by Ravens825 View Post
    Personally i find it incredibly stupid to pay 450.00 for what is essentially a 50 dollar bottle or less of Ciroc just to drink it in public and look cool.

    Liquor mark up is a crime in those places.
    Have you seen beer prices at the stadium?? I'm just saying...




  11. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    12,233
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Chris tipped $16.00 on an $1,100 bill. And the "going rate" for tipping in the US has never been 10%.



    No. They threw a rock at his head as he walked away, went into convulsions and then they shot him.
    I don't remember the rock but remember them shooting him.

    Tipping went up to 15% in the 70s and 80s from 10% in the 50s and 60s. I started
    paying for things in the 60s and remember 10% up til thru the 70s.

    FROM THE WALL STREET JOURNAL:

    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122471487660660237.html
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 06-17-2013 at 06:53 PM.
    UBER RAVENS FAN AND HISTORIAN GURU.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland