Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    I thought it was 20%. That's what I've been paying - 18% if service isn't so hot. Nothing
    if it's terrible.

15% went out years ago and I learned that over in the other forum and guys jumped
    on me for paying 15%. I didn't know it went up to 20%. I paid more than than
    last night because I eat at the same places every week and they know me so I pay
    more.

I'll leave nothing if the service is really bad but I'll always tell them why.
    I always tip 20 if service is good. I used to work in the restaurant business. I feel for those people.

But back on topic. I don't get the whole club scene. Are you supposed to feel cool paying so much for a bottle of booze?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

I have always been a person who tips at least 20% if service is good. You have to be flat out horrible for me to tip less than 10%. Rarely have I ever not left anything. Those people work hard for that money. I have never worked as a server, but I have been a cook, and I worked in bars for 6 years during college and after, bartenders and wait staff don't get much from the place they work.

As for feeling sorry for these guys, when they lose everything. I have empathy/sympathy for their situation, but I also don't feel bad for them. Even if they go broke, they got to do things and see things that most of us will never be privy to from a monetary standpoint. There are plenty of us "regular guys" that are in debt, and we find a way to make our lives work. They have to too.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    So we're not responsible for our own actions? Yep, give 'em an excuse so we can all live in a "no fault" society. BTW, are you ready to contribute to their "relief" funds? ... Bc
    Overreact much?

Nobody is absolving them. In the end it's their fault. We have not claimed otherwise.

But every fault has a cause. We are just recognizing why so many athletes fall on their face.

I thought it was 20%. That's what I've been paying - 18% if service isn't so hot. Nothing
    if it's terrible.

15% went out years ago and I learned that over in the other forum and guys jumped
    last night because I eat at the same places every week and they know me so I pay
    more.

I do the exact same thing and the same amounts.

I was speaking of customs, not practice.

Hence the word "customary".

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Our old buddy Kyle Boller would pull this move often when he and Tara Reed were together.

Mad River used to have a receipt taped to their downstairs bar from him that was over $15k.
    $15k at MAD RIVER? Now hat is absurd.
    This $16k tab is at least in LA... $450 a bottle for Ciroq is abotu 50% more then I've seen anwhere in Baltimore. Aqua, Club X and many fo the other high -end Bottle service clubs pretty much topped out around $300 for top shelf bottles. DC area clubs typically in teh $350 range. Las Vegas was in the $500 range.

All of that info is botu 5years old, lol, Those days are in my past. And obviousl;y things liek Dom and Louis the 13th were above those limits, but I am speakign in teh ballpark fo Ciroq.

$15k at Mad River is completely insane. Thats well over 1000 drinks. That's not an expensive club at all.

if it's terrible.

more.

I recall Steve Martin in one of his 80% movies(The Jerk, My Blue Sunday or A Story) speakign about tipping. Basically the gist was that if you were going to tip, it is best to OVER-TIP. If it's a place i frequent, and I desire top notch service(such as a bar ALWAYS IS) I generally top 25-33%. In the Baltimore bar scene after a few times, this will customarily cut yoru bar tab in half of what it should be, which is a win-win for you and the server, while a loser for the bar owner. Yo will be served ahead of the pretty girls righ on the rail fo the bar as wel.

Out of Town, I am closer to 20%.

I also ave a personal rule of no less the $1 per drink or shot, and also no less then $5 on any "tab" of any kind. If I sit down at a pizza shop with a waitress and my bill comes to $12, the waitress get's $5. Order Chineese and it's $17? Tip is $5. Generally I do not ask for coins back either, and that is added to whatever tip I decide to give.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    $15k at MAD RIVER? Now hat is absurd.
    This $16k tab is at least in LA... $450 a bottle for Ciroq is abotu 50% more then I've seen anwhere in Baltimore. Aqua, Club X and many fo the other high -end Bottle service clubs pretty much topped out around $300 for top shelf bottles. DC area clubs typically in teh $350 range. Las Vegas was in the $500 range.

All of that info is botu 5years old, lol, Those days are in my past. And obviousl;y things liek Dom and Louis the 13th were above those limits, but I am speakign in teh ballpark fo Ciroq.

$15k at Mad River is completely insane. Thats well over 1000 drinks. That's not an expensive club at all.
    Rumor was he bought up a bunch of tabs from other people who were there.

Mad River isn't the same place it is today. When it was converted, it was more of a club then the bar / pub it is now.

Rumor was he bought up a bunch of tabs from other people who were there.

Mad River isn't the same place it is today. When it was converted, it was more of a club then the bar / pub it is now.
    I am most familiar with Mad River circa 2002-2010 ... not expensive.. not at all

Maybe it's just me, but that 13% is a lot of money for a relatively small amount of effort.

RE: tipping, which means "To Insure Promptness" by the way, I usually do 15-20% based on the service. If service is bad, I will deduct accordingly. However, I like to shock and awe servers with 50% tips from time to time when they provide uniquely outstanding service. I also like to write to restaurants when I feel like they have a rock star or a stinker on staff.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

When I was in the industry, I always thought tips meant "To Insure Proper Service". Guess it varies.

Having worked a bar in my early 20's, I can assure you servers and bartenders work their asses off. Because of that, 20% is my starting point but will adjust according to the level of service I receive.

If I did everything right and got a 13% tip, I'd be pissed and think the person is a cheapskate. I'd definitely remember the person and you'd get exactly 13% worth of service next time.

Having worked a bar in my early 20's, I can assure you servers and bartenders work their asses off. Because of that, 20% is my starting point but will adjust according to the level of service I receive.

If I did everything right and got a 13% tip, I'd be pissed and think the person is a cheapskate. I'd definitely remember the person and you'd get exactly 13% worth of service next time.
    I'm not suggesting bar staff don't work hard, but they usually aren't serving up $7500 bottles of champagne now, are they. This instance can't be compared with the bar bill you and your buddies run up at Max's.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries
    I always tip 20% unless the service was really bad. And the math is easy, just take the final amount, move the decibel, and double it. :)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!