Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Personally i find it incredibly stupid to pay 450.00 for what is essentially a 50 dollar bottle or less of Ciroc just to drink it in public and look cool.

Liquor mark up is a crime in those places.

The NFL should provide a loan system with low interest rates or something for the offseason, and have it li led to their salary so you can only borrow say 50 percent of your up and coming years salary

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    The NFL should provide a loan system with low interest rates or something for the offseason, and have it li led to their salary so you can only borrow say 50 percent of your up and coming years salary
    If you want the NFL to incentivize good behavior instead of bad behavior for players that desperately need someone, ANYONE, to do the right thing for them, you don't want them offering loans, especially loans like that. The entire concept of credit and borrowing at interest is both morally wrong and extremely bad for your financial well-being. If you have access to the level of income generated by even 7th round rookie contracts, there is no excuse to borrow money apart from PERHAPS a mortgage, and it would be much better to simply pay cash for your house.

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Unfortunately the food and entertainment lobby is very powerful and they are bound and determined to keep the burden of compensation on us instead of themselves.
    Who do you think the burden of compensation is on for the sales clerk at WalMart? The burden of compensation is ALWAYS on us. Make restaurants pay waiters and waitresses $15-40/hour with no tips, and see what happens to the price of your steak. Or, pay them minimum wage with no tips, and see how often your food gets spit in.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    If you want the NFL to incentivize good behavior instead of bad behavior for players that desperately need someone, ANYONE, to do the right thing for them, you don't want them offering loans, especially loans like that. The entire concept of credit and borrowing at interest is both morally wrong and extremely bad for your financial well-being. If you have access to the level of income generated by even 7th round rookie contracts, there is no excuse to borrow money apart from PERHAPS a mortgage, and it would be much better to simply pay cash for your house.
    Well at this stage they should realise players borrow money, regardless, so it's better the NFL offer it, and keep in under control

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

On a side note, I think the whole gratuity thing is just a bullshit system that puts the onus of compensation on the customers and not the employer. Yes I understand the mindset behind it, but they could just as easily come up some sort of commission system.
    Where would the money the employer would pay the employees with come from?

The tipping system for service work is a very good one. It means YOU decide how much the service is worth. If the folks are competent I tip 20%. You might lost a percent or two if I never get a drink refill or I wait forever for it and get it just as we are preparing to leave.

I used to tend bar. People who have worked for tips are the best tippers.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

The tipping system for service work is a very good one. It means YOU decide how much the service is worth. If the folks are competent I tip 20%. You might lost a percent or two if I never get a drink refill or I wait forever for it and get it just as we are preparing to leave.

The same place it comes from for every other country in the world, their turnover

Thanks Greg for derailing my attempts to get back on topic ....

;)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post

When they said tips went up to 20% I asked the manager of the next restaurant
    what it was and the first thing he said was, you don't have to leave any tip but it
    is 20% now if you want to.

I don't want to see the league get into the business of lending money.

I'd much prefer to see an expansion of the leagues rookie symposiums to include financial education, money management, etc.

A player who saves his money is in far better financial shape than the one who goes into debt.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I don't want to see the league get into the business of lending money.

I'd much prefer to see an expansion of the leagues rookie symposiums to include financial education, money management, etc.

A player who saves his money is in far better financial shape than the one who goes into debt.
    Bit the fact is the do go into debt, they should be aiming to control that In some way shape or form by a separate branch company, make a deal with some money lending Comoany or something. Clearing advising them to save isn't working, so go for the next best thing and help them manage debt via some sort of control on what can be borrowed in relation to their earnings

Bit the fact is the do go into debt, they should be aiming to control that In some way shape or form by a separate branch company, make a deal with some money lending Comoany or something. Clearing advising them to save isn't working, so go for the next best thing and help them manage debt via some sort of control on what can be borrowed in relation to their earnings
    It's a free country so I doubt any employee would want their employer dictating what they can and cannot do in regards to their money once it's earned.

The rookie symposiums are a relatively new thing so it's hard to say either way if they're working or not. You really should try to find / watch "Broke". Not every NFLer is in this predicament.

Also, consider the PR disaster for the league after such an initiative. If they start lending money to players and the player goes broke, the league is going to be blamed for it. You're basically saying "Yes, players do dumb things but instead of correcting the problem, lets give them a way to keep doing dumb things with their money but the league gets richer off the interest".

No thanks.